• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
Has anyone heard anything more on the new batch of XLB’s being 96 seats with a buggy space? Would give Lothian some much needed good PR!

It could well still be 100 seats, take out 4 for a buggy space and install 4 flip ups.

This would allow them to introduce new buses and send the initial batch off for retrofitting. Their under warranty, we wouldn't do the work in house.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It could well still be 100 seats, take out 4 for a buggy space and install 4 flip ups.

This would allow them to introduce new buses and send the initial batch off for retrofitting. Their under warranty, we wouldn't do the work in house.

In the space of 4 normal seats (2 rows of 2) you can only fit 3 side facing tip ups.

A330Alex

Seems the two-door Geminis are getting a rather snug buggy space. Would be surprised if the XLB didn't now
z2UHls9.jpg

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Seems the two-door Geminis are getting a rather snug buggy space. Would be surprised if the XLB didn't now
z2UHls9.jpg

I'm pretty sure that tip up is an original feature, they've just added an extra pair of seats in what used to be the wheelchair bay. Leg room will be poor on the inside seat on the first row and i doubt you could get a buggy in without it slightly sticking in to the isle.

ejstubbs

I know some will disagree with me but I think some feel entitled.

I don't disagree with you. AFAIK the timeline was:
  • In the beginning there were no buggy or wheelchair spaces - buggies had to be folded, wheelchair users were SOOL;
  • 1995 DDA required bus companies to provide wheelchair spaces and ramps;
  • Parents with buggies started using wheelchair spaces;
  • Multiple "outrage" stories appeared in local and national press when parents with buggies were asked to vacate the wheelchair space for a wheelchair user, and refused/went bleating to the press (spun both ways, pro and con the buggy users);
  • Court case ended up with ruling that bus companies must give wheelchair users priority (2017 I think);
  • Further outrage from buggy users;
  • Bus companies decided it was easier to provide buggy spaces as well as wheelchair spaces (at the expense of ordinary passengers who would quite like a seat).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I don't disagree with you. AFAIK the timeline was:
  • In the beginning there were no buggy or wheelchair spaces - buggies had to be folded, wheelchair users were SOOL;
  • 1995 DDA required bus companies to provide wheelchair spaces and ramps;
  • Parents with buggies started using wheelchair spaces;
  • Multiple "outrage" stories appeared in local and national press when parents with buggies were asked to vacate the wheelchair space for a wheelchair user, and refused/went bleating to the press (spun both ways, pro and con the buggy users);
  • Court case ended up with ruling that bus companies must give wheelchair users priority (2017 I think);
  • Further outrage from buggy users;
  • Bus companies decided it was easier to provide buggy spaces as well as wheelchair spaces (at the expense of ordinary passengers who would quite like a seat).

It wasn't until January 2001 (May 2005 for coaches) when the PSVAR act came in to force that it was a requirement for all new buses to have wheelchair accessibility (among other disability related requirements).

I don't really see the issue with having both seats, however i think it's most logical to still fit 3 tip ups in each space, that way when the space is not in use it can provide 6 extra seats. The W-RFS batch of Alexander300 bodied Volvo B10BLE's new to Glasgow (later moved to Aberdeen) were great in this regard as you could actually quite easily fit 5 buggies in them, while there was still 12 forward facing step free seats ahead of the rear axle.

ALADOU47

On another note Lothian are spending all this money upgrading the decker fleet surely they should be thinking about upgrading the singles ?

OmniCity999

Established Member
On another note Lothian are spending all this money upgrading the decker fleet surely they should be thinking about upgrading the singles ?

It's in the works. Deckers make up the majority of the fleet and thus they need to make a headstart with this.

The single deck fleet work largely out of town so when it comes to the low emission zone issue, they can shift the newer singles into the city if need be in the short term as newer singles become available.

Lothian285

Is it now confirmed that Lothian Motorcoaches are operating the Citylink 913 (Edinburgh-Fort William)? I've been unable to find any photos of it. According to Scottish Citylink's twitter account (https://twitter.com/ScotCitylink), it appears to have broken down on both the days it's been operating, yesterday in Perth on the return journey and today in Glencoe on the way to Fort William.

route101

Established Member
Is it now confirmed that Lothian Motorcoaches are operating the Citylink 913 (Edinburgh-Fort William)? I've been unable to find any photos of it. According to Scottish Citylink's twitter account (https://twitter.com/ScotCitylink), it appears to have broken down on both the days it's been operating, yesterday in Perth on the return journey and today in Glencoe on the way to Fort William.

Interesting , this route used to go via the A84

route101

Established Member
It wasn't until January 2001 (May 2005 for coaches) when the PSVAR act came in to force that it was a requirement for all new buses to have wheelchair accessibility (among other disability related requirements).

I don't really see the issue with having both seats, however i think it's most logical to still fit 3 tip ups in each space, that way when the space is not in use it can provide 6 extra seats. The W-RFS batch of Alexander300 bodied Volvo B10BLE's new to Glasgow (later moved to Aberdeen) were great in this regard as you could actually quite easily fit 5 buggies in them, while there was still 12 forward facing step free seats ahead of the rear axle.

The alx 400s are odd , they have quite a big space for buggys and wheelchairs but not any seats , theres a partition between the sppace and first row of seats ,

Was on service 10 this afternoon bus 215 decided to have power steering problem as we trying to turn into St. Andrews sq ended on wrong side of road

lastbus

Not a very good start then

overthewater

Established Member
Get even better, it somehow ended up running an hour late back this afternoon. No idea why....

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not going to call you a liar because your information is second hand

I see i've pulled a nerve, perhaps i should have said "see" rather than "hear", given that i've seen evidence that it require assistance to get going.

Never mind, let's not pointlessly drag the thread on. Have a good day.

SpeedbirdA350

Glad to hear. Fleetlists won't put food on the table either :)

Does anyone know how bad the damage to 133 is? It did not look too bad from initial images.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Glad to hear. Fleetlists won't put food on the table either :)

Does anyone know how bad the damage to 133 is? It did not look too bad from initial images.
Not bad at all its very minor, as ive said its full rear advert wasnt even burnt off so clearly not bad. Mechanical fix, new rear window and engine cover would see it out in few months. will likely go to scrap as its 14 year old

OmniCity999

Established Member
Not bad at all its very minor, as ive said its full rear advert wasnt even burnt off so clearly not bad. Mechanical fix, new rear window and engine cover would see it out in few months. will likely go to scrap as its 14 year old

Likely it will be more a case of repair then sale. Or sold for spares.

route101

Established Member

What kind of bus is operating this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.