• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kje7812

We could still speculate, it’s much more fun that way, if each depot is getting these buses I can imagine it will be for the routes that need new buses the most

Since there was talk of the 31/37 being possible candidates from Central, my guess is from Marine it would be maybe the 12, 21 or 49 and Longstone could be the 3, 33 or 34.

If East Coast Buses or Lothian Country got a taste of the 100 seater too i’d say That the 113 and 43 respectively would get them
Still think the 25 would be a good use of them.
The 34 is alright at the moment as the 35 has spread out the loadings from fountainbridge/slateford road. Improvements here would be served by evening out the gaps though.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Some routes have already been rules out because of tight conners or low bridges. 3, 22, 30 and 33 are already out of the running.

Lothian_Bus

Have noticed this weekend that Central has been putting it's 18 plate B5TL's on the N26 and N37.

Unusual but maybe it's to do with the rugby weekend.

Lothian_Bus

Is there any particular reason why the No 44 gets the old stock on that route?
I have wondered that myself. Still operating with lots of 55 plates. It occasionally gets some new buses but the likes of the 23 and 35 seem to be prioritised ahead of it.

I think it would be an ideal route to get the new buses but as it is mainly based at Longstone this doesn't seem likely just now.

Auld reekie

I have wondered that myself. Still operating with lots of 55 plates. It occasionally gets some new buses but the likes of the 23 and 35 seem to be prioritised ahead of it.

I think it would be an ideal route to get the new buses but as it is mainly based at Longstone this doesn't seem likely just now.
I agree t would be ideal.

Update to the ticketing app today with news that the minimum spend has been reduced to £4.

A sign that contactless is coming soon?

Hophead

Established Member
Update to the ticketing app today with news that the minimum spend has been reduced to £4.

A sign that contactless is coming soon?

Would I be right in thinking that that is still more than the price of a one-day ticket?

VioletEclipse

Still think the 25 would be a good use of them.
The 34 is alright at the moment as the 35 has spread out the loadings from fountainbridge/slateford road. Improvements here would be served by evening out the gaps though.
I agree, the 25 would be good, my guess would be 31, 37, 44 and possibly 100?

Lothian285

Lothian have published their Bus2020 environmental report today: https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/190124-Bus2020-Strategy.pdf

A couple of interesting things to note about future bus orders. They have said that hybrid buses are no longer very economically viable due to added costs of battery components on board and diesel buses are now more environmentally viable due to enhancements in euro 6 technology. They also said that they will continue to invest in fully electric single deckers over the next two years, but acknowledged that electric bus technology as it stands is not a sustainable solution.

VioletEclipse

Lothian have published their Bus2020 environmental report today: https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/190124-Bus2020-Strategy.pdf

A couple of interesting things to note about future bus orders. They have said that hybrid buses are no longer very economically viable due to added costs of battery components on board and diesel buses are now more environmentally viable due to enhancements in euro 6 technology. They also said that they will continue to invest in fully electric single deckers over the next two years, but acknowledged that electric bus technology as it stands is not a sustainable solution.
That sounds interesting, they do have some valid points, but I wonder why they haven't mentioned Hydrogen powered buses?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That sounds interesting, they do have some valid points, but I wonder why they haven't mentioned Hydrogen powered buses?

Hydrogen vehicles are pretty expensive to buy never mind set up, running costs are also not cheap! However they are the cleanest option and can achieve better range than electrics. The technology is just not there yet for it to go wide scale.

VioletEclipse

Hydrogen vehicles are pretty expensive to buy never mind set up, running costs are also not cheap! However they are the cleanest option and can achieve better range than electrics. The technology is just not there yet for it to go wide scale.
I suppose, but wait a few years and they might be more popular, also a bit of external funding would help a lot.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I suppose, but wait a few years and they might be more popular, also a bit of external funding would help a lot.

There's 50 due to be delivered around the UK this year under phase 2 of the JIVE project. 10 will be for Aberdeen and 12 For Dundee.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I agree, the 25 would be good, my guess would be 31, 37, 44 and possibly 100?

I never thought of the 25 or 44 actually, though i’d Imagine it’d be difficult to navigate via Restalrig with the new buses.

OK, thanks. Not sure why Lothian (uniquely?) require a minimum spend, but at least they aren't forcing you to buy more than you need.

It was quite a pleasant surprise and glad they finally changed it, will probably be more encouraged to buy daytickets on the app now!

ejstubbs

Might the right turn from Ardmillan Terrace on to Slateford Road on the 44 route be an issue for the new buses?

tbtc

Veteran Member
I never thought of the 25 or 44 actually, though i’d Imagine it’d be difficult to navigate via Restalrig with the new buses

• Extend the 25 via Wakefield Avenue to Kings Road
  • Extend the 19 via The Jewel to Fort Kinnaird
  • Divert the 49 to terminate at Restalrig

(just a thought - but as well as removing the worst junctions from the 25 to permit longer buses, it'd also balance up the lengths of the 19 and 49, given how long the 49 is and short the 19 is)

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
  • Extend the 25 via Wakefield Avenue to Kings Road
  • Extend the 19 via The Jewel to Fort Kinnaird
  • Divert the 49 to terminate at Restalrig
(just a thought - but as well as removing the worst junctions from the 25 to permit longer buses, it'd also balance up the lengths of the 19 and 49, given how long the 49 is and short the 19 is)

I agree that terminating the 49 at Restalrig could save time and give an excuse for the 25 to get the longer bus, however I think the 25 would work better if it was extended to the Fort instead of the 19, since it would still maintain the link between Leith and The Jewel the 49 has. a 19 extension could be nice too though, maybe via Eastfield and Brunstane to Fort Kinnaird :D

Tom1791

I remember back in 2014 Lothian had plans to switch the north/west ends of the 22/25, such that the 22 would terminate at restalrig and the 25 at Ocean terminal. Not necessarily saying it's the best idea but it would certainly give a good route for the new buses to run on (riccarton to ocean terminwl that is)

I agree the 44 would be ideal if it could navigate the trickier turns mentioned above. Although having said that there's not really any route that could comfortably run the new XLB's without some minor route alterations.

sam120

I agree that terminating the 49 at Restalrig could save time and give an excuse for the 25 to get the longer bus, however I think the 25 would work better if it was extended to the Fort instead of the 19, since it would still maintain the link between Leith and The Jewel the 49 has. a 19 extension could be nice too though, maybe via Eastfield and Brunstane to Fort Kinnaird :D
i thought that changing the 21 to go via the jewel and the fort so there’s still a link between leith and the fort, cut the 49 to kings road via Seafield and Fillyside, put the 12 to restalrig and have the 25 go lochend and the 15 to musselburgh again as i found that to be a well used service.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Planning permission has been granted for 49-61 Shandwick Place (Co-Operative store) to be turned into a Travelshop & Driver Sign on/Refuge for Lothian Buses. The basement is also to be converted into a driver canteen/Refuge. There will be full, manned ticket selling facilities, Lost property (good location for it), a customer liaison room, a coffee shop and seating.

The following link provides information regarding the full planning permission with before and after plans. It looks like a lot of work converting it from stock rooms, freezers/deep chill and a store into essentially driver refuge and a Travelshop. So one would imagine that a lot of money is being pumped into it. As an assumption, it may be used by Airlink Drivers as i know they used to use the Haymarket Travelshop, especially before it opened as such. I also assume Lothian Country, East Coast and Tram Drivers may possibly be either based from there or at least take breaks there.

Plans go as far back as 2017.

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.go...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PG30GKEWIQY00

Attached are the relevant documents.

Attachments

• 18_08394_CLP-04_-_PROPOSED_BASEMENT_LAYOUT_PLAN-4054681.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 18_08394_CLP-05_-_PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR_LAYOUT-4054682.pdf
    193.5 KB · Views: 18

OmniCity999

Established Member
I wonder why the co op want out? It's always busy.

There lease may be up soon. Although I believe Co-Op group may own the actual store as if you look at the plans certain parts say "not owned by Somerfield". Co-op then bought out parts of Somerfield so I imagine the also bought that store. Or Co-op may be downsizing, possibly to the old Morrisons? Is that unit taken yet? At the same time, theres a Sainsbury's across the road and a Tesco in walking distance, with a Scotmid, owned by Co-Op opposite Haymarket. Not to mention the multitude of Cafe's and Coffee shops in the general area, alot of the trade In that area is lunchtime trade.

Why did they close down the Shandwick Place LB shop in the first place?

As overthewater said. But also, Lothian have gone through a few Travelshops in the last few years. Different managers different styles.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
i thought that changing the 21 to go via the jewel and the fort so there’s still a link between leith and the fort, cut the 49 to kings road via Seafield and Fillyside, put the 12 to restalrig and have the 25 go lochend and the 15 to musselburgh again as i found that to be a well used service.

I don’t see the 15 going back to Musselburgh anytime soon, especially since the 124 already covers the old route from Prestonpans to Lothian Road. The 21 is fine as it is from that part, especially since it stops near the Jewel and Fort anyway. For the 12 do you mean extend it to Restalrig via Fillyside? because that could possibly work! and it would be better if the 49 didn’t curtail to Kings Road if it was to run via Fillyside and Seafield since it would make more sense to connect it with Portobello

Status
Not open for further replies.