• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auld reekie

Absolutley nothing wrong with numbering a service to an Airshow as 737. You'd think it was only recently that 737s started crashing but there has been plenty of crashes involving 737s since they were introduced. Pretty sure some 777s have been lost in crashes as well, so should they stop using 777 for a route number as well? What about 747 or 767 or 757? Perhaps we should just ban the use of plane related numbers altogether. :rolleyes:
Spot on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mal

To solve this problem about using 737 for the Airshow route why not number it A1 instead? No-one in the Lothians (as far as I know) uses letter / number combinations.

CM

To solve this problem about using 737 for the Airshow route why not number it A1 instead? No-one in the Lothians (as far as I know) uses letter / number combinations.

What problem? There is nothing wrong with using 737 as a route number because that's all it is, a number.

Possibly mistaken but.... could have sworn I saw an X5 the other day.

If this thread is anything to go by, Lothian could be faced with accusations of insensitivity if naming a bus route the same as a local road - there have been many fatalities on the A1 in East Lothian.

They may consider 1A, 2A and 3A for Airshow services. But then again a fleet of 3As, especially if coaches, is liable to cause offence and have rival directors firing off letters to shareholders.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
See if the incident with the plates hadn't happened so recently it probably wouldn't have bothered me, but you can't sit here and honestly say it doesn't look dodgy running a 737 to of all places an airshow directly after Lothian were forced to remove childish reg plates and issue a public apology.

What makes me suspicious is more the fact that they didn't go for a number beside it like 767 or 787 like they 'normally' would. Yes I get the 737 has been around for a long time but I'm sorry there's more historic aircraft than the 737.

All aircraft go through troublesome periods but the situation with the MAX is totally different, when aircraft in the past have crashed they have generally always managed to rocover. The MAX will take years to recover fully from this, if it ever does because there are so many things that need to be addressed, most importantly whether the families will be satisfied they have closure, that the aircraft is safe to fly and that incidents that are preventable don't happen again.

Lothian may very well have done this without meaning to cause offence but it just looks dodgy, that's all.

Anyway lets move on before this turns into Newtongrange 2.0

Jordan Adam

Established Member
See if the incident with the plates hadn't happened so recently it probably wouldn't have bothered me, but you can't sit here and honestly say it doesn't look dodgy running a 737 to of all places an airshow directly after Lothian were forced to remove childish reg plates and issue a public apology.

What makes me suspicious is more the fact that they didn't go for a number beside it like 767 or 787 like they 'normally' would. Yes I get the 737 has been around for a long time but I'm sorry there's more historic aircraft than the 737.

All aircraft go through troublesome periods but the situation with the MAX is totally different, when aircraft in the past have crashed they have generally always managed to rocover. The MAX will take years to recover fully from this, if it ever does because there are so many things that need to be addressed, most importantly whether the families will be satisfied they have closure, that the aircraft is safe to fly and that incidents that are preventable don't happen again.

Lothian may very well have done this without meaning to cause offence but it just looks dodgy, that's all.

Anyway lets move on before this turns into Newtongrange 2.0

I agree, as seems the norm people miss the point as just throw the predictable "snowflake" card.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I give up :rolleyes:. The point was made, missed by some and now it's just being derailed by another dupe account.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone have a rough idea when the new Airlinks are due?

OmniCity999

Established Member
I give up :rolleyes:. The point was made, missed by some and now it's just being derailed by another dupe account.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone have a rough idea when the new Airlinks are due?

When they are ready. Deliveries have started. Looking at August. Lots of nice bits on these.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
When they are ready. Deliveries have started. Looking at August. Lots of nice bits on these.

Looks to be the standard interior that's on the rest of the XLB's (which is more than good enough), with red "coach" seating and a luggage rack on the lower deck.

Really looking forward to seeing them fully branded up.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not good news for the trams- Edinburgh Evening News front page at the bottom - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48687384 - took me a couple of looks to figure out the typo in the word “maintenance” :)

Online article - https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....ise-for-boss-despite-10million-loss-1-4949726

Edinburgh’s trams recorded a loss of almost £10 million last year – while the managing director was handed a 33 per cent pay rise.

Accounts for Edinburgh Trams show the transfer of responsibility for maintaining the tram infrastructure from the city council to the tram company turned the previous year’s operating profit of £1.6m into an operating loss of £9.4m.

image.jpg

Passengers disembark an eastbound tram at Haymarket. 'Picture: Ian Rutherford

Meanwhile, managing director Lea Harrison saw his remuneration soar from £96,229 to £127,962.

The annual financial report notes the trams are outperforming the expectations set by the council before the service was launched in 2014. Passenger numbers increased last year by ten per cent from 6.6m to 7.3m and service income was up 18 per cent from £12.9m to £15.1m.

But Lothian Tory MSP Jeremy Balfour said maintenance should have been included from the start to show the “true cost” of the trams. “It was always a false picture to say the trams were making a profit,” he said.

“The trams are a commercial company and so the managing director gets a commercial salary – but we need a review of the pay in these arms length companies. It has been over-generous in the past.”

image.jpg

Transport for Edinburgh.'' Lea Harrison, General Manager at Edinburgh Trams.
The council decided late last year to consolidate the costs of operating and maintaining the tram system, which it was known would lead to a loss.

Under the new arrangement, Edinburgh Trams has to pay access and maintenance fees for the use of trams, infrastructure, track and depot.

The financial report says: “Previously under the term Operator Only, Edinburgh Trams would have returned an operating profit in excess of £3m, up from £1.6m in 2017 and £252k in 2016.”

But Mr Balfour said the new rules revealed how much it really cost to run the trams. “Yet we are going to extend the line to Newhaven with greater maintenance costs and it will likely continue to make a loss.”

Other critics have argued there are further “hidden” costs of the trams, including a subsidy for concessionary fares, access fees charged by Edinburgh Airport and repayments on the £276m of borrowings.

George Lowder, chief executive of the tram parent company Transport for Edinburgh, defended Mr Harrison’s huge pay hike. He said: “Edinburgh Trams is gaining an enviable reputation as one of the most highly-rated public transport companies in the UK.

“Salaries for its key personnel, including the managing director are benchmarked against industry standards to make sure the company can retain and attract the best people for the jobs and reflect the additional maintenance and Trams to Newhaven responsibilities.”

Transport convener Lesley Macinnes said: “Edinburgh Trams continue to perform very well and have amply demonstrated their readiness as a company to take on the responsibility for maintenance costs, as per the Tram Operating Agreement approved before passenger services started in 2014.

“This transfer of responsibility was agreed by the transport committee back in December 2018.”

EEN have a blatant bias, but i personally don't think such an extreme pay rise can be justified.

jzw95

Looks to be the standard interior that's on the rest of the XLB's (which is more than good enough), with red "coach" seating and a luggage rack on the lower deck.

Does anyone know why the two tables with facing seats on the upper deck were removed from the Airlink setup? This happened either when the current fleet came into operation, or with the one before. But previously there always used to be a couple of tables up top which were fun with a group.

takno

Established Member
Not good news for the trams- Edinburgh Evening News front page at the bottom - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48687384 - took me a couple of looks to figure out the typo in the word “maintenance” :)
https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...ise-for-boss-despite-10million-loss-1-4949726 is the actual article. It's just the standard EEN uncritically printing the anti-tram ravings of the Tory councillors, combined with some financial reporting that mostly makes it clear that the author doesn't understand what he's talking about. I'm certainly none the wiser from reading it

alchemy

Having had to come to Edinburgh to visit my mother in ERI ot seems to me that from Gorebridge, you have to change from anywhere north of hospital on the Dalkeith Road to foot of Preston Street once the 33 changes. I could be wrong though. It might not affect many people but for elderly and infirm the walk between Dalkeith Road and Newington could be an issue

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Does anyone reckon if the 48 will terminate within the Fort or just outside it like the 400? I’m just there now and noticing how the 106 goes in another direction towards Musselburgh and the 49 runs past the business park before terminating.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Does anyone reckon if the 48 will terminate within the Fort or just outside it like the 400? I’m just there now and noticing how the 106 goes in another direction towards Musselburgh and the 49 runs past the business park before terminating.

Personally I’m hoping they run in like the 30 and terminate at the 49 Terminus to easily connect, and run out past the business park to pick up passengers here right back to Niddrie!

To be honest I was hoping the 18 (400) would of done it when it was first extended but now here’s hopefully a second chance

Attachments

• 21BF508D-A9B3-4348-84E6-DE0578BAE1FA.jpeg
    21BF508D-A9B3-4348-84E6-DE0578BAE1FA.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 46

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
A rather general question here.

Has anyone experienced a Lothian B5LH with white smoke coming out of the rear, a strong burning sulphur smell and the battery not being used? I only ask, because our 2015 registered B5LHs in Dundee often undergo exhaust regeneration whilst in service - which causes the above effects.

Only asking to see if the effects are only present on our batch, or if they occur on others too.

Assistance would be appreciated.

NB - there are other effects which are less noticeable; such as a higher idle RPM, lower gear being selected for moving off and rougher clutch operation.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Has anyone experienced a Lothian B5LH with white smoke coming out of the rear, a strong burning sulphur smell and the battery not being used? I only ask, because our 2015 registered B5LHs in Dundee often undergo exhaust regeneration whilst in service - which causes the above effects.

Only asking to see if the effects are only present on our batch, or if they occur on others too.

NB - there are other effects which are less noticeable; such as a higher idle RPM, lower gear being selected for moving off and rougher clutch operation.
No ive never experienced it

Gingerbus1991

I've only driven the B5LH/7900 singles enough at lothian to understand that does happen from time to time, you may even notice they feel a little more sluggish when the regens active on the road, the electric motor isn't used during these regens so that the engine is running solely at its hottest, lothian periodically put them through Parked-regents at the depot to help the matter.

Because the engine often cuts out and the exhaust may not alway be running hot enough for passive regeneration to work it may be found that the regen happens quite often.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I've only driven the B5LH/7900 singles enough at lothian to understand that does happen from time to time, you may even notice they feel a little more sluggish when the regens active on the road, the electric motor isn't used during these regens so that the engine is running solely at its hottest, lothian periodically put them through Parked-regents at the depot to help the matter.

Because the engine often cuts out and the exhaust may not alway be running hot enough for passive regeneration to work it may be found that the regen happens quite often.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think there is a lower torque output when they regen. Parked regenerations sound better to me! Active regeneration seems to happen much more often now on ours, than when they were new, which may suggest the filter is actually clogged with un-regenable (I've just invented a new word) soot.

A mechanic/engineer might be better placed to comment?

Gingerbus1991

I'm no expert but I'm assuming that the clutch software is altered during regens as the electric motor isn't assisting in pushing the bus.

The sulfur smell won't be there all the time but when you do diesel is sprayed into the exhaust system to increase the temperature inside.

Read the attached photo, which is from Cummins not volvo, but the principal is the same for all modern diesel engines which have an EGR valve.

Lothian_Bus

Busy few days for Lothian running extra services for the Royal Highland show. Most of Central's B5TL's (1051-1062) are now at Marine along with a few of the (441-465) batch from Longstone. These buses along with some of Marine's 466-495 batch will run the special service 98. Longstone presumably will also run the service 97 for the event from Edinburgh Park.

Lobuster

Busy few days for Lothian running extra services for the Royal Highland show. Most of Central's B5TL's (1051-1062) are now at Marine along with a few of the (441-465) batch from Longstone. These buses along with some of Marine's 466-495 batch will run the special service 98. Longstone presumably will also run the service 97 for the event from Edinburgh Park.
First post.
Mild inconvenience for Marine drivers re car park but it’s a good earner for the company I suppose and drivers themselves with the overtime

OmniCity999

Established Member
Exciting news from ADL today about single deck replacements on the B8RLE as well as the Articulated chassis. The news has magically gone from their website though as strike action was announced at Lothian.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Exciting news from ADL today about single deck replacements on the B8RLE as well as the Articulated chassis. The news has magically gone from their website though as strike action was announced at Lothian.

The B8RLE comes as no surprise, most of us have known (albeit unofficially) that ADL were planning on doing a body for the B8RLE for almost a year now. However the B8RLEA (Artic variant) is a pleasant surprise, for obvious reasons if Lothian were to buy these it would most likely be for the 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.