• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sam120

is there any depot movements? surely some of the surplus at longstone from the 33 will go over to marine for the 49

OmniCity999

Established Member
So will they not be stored in Marine Car Park?

Echoing previous posts, Marine is full of B7s, the odd Trident and the odd Scania. Theres no time scale of these leaving so we've sought alternative storage. Hopefully we should start seeing B7's going soon with some possibly going to Ensign and other dealers.

Although it's hard as obviously we dont want competitors buying more of our second hand stock to use in competition with us.

And the days are gone where you could scrap a bus and get decent money for them. Theres alot of plastic and fibre glass in modern constructions.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Echoing previous posts, Marine is full of B7s, the odd Trident and the odd Scania. Theres no time scale of these leaving so we've sought alternative storage. Hopefully we should start seeing B7's going soon with some possibly going to Ensign and other dealers.

Although it's hard as obviously we dont want competitors buying more of our second hand stock to use in competition with us.

And the days are gone where you could scrap a bus and get decent money for them. Theres alot of plastic and fibre glass in modern constructions.
Surprised we havent seen any B7s through ensign yet, the june stock moves will be up soon so ill post an update on that. Any idea if any have been sold (if your allowed to say). Id alos be surprised if any competitors bought some second hand stuff from Lothian, id be happy if 708 was though

Tom B

Established Member
Do vehicles sold by Lothian command a higher price on the basis that they've been properly maintained and looked after?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Surprised we havent seen any B7s through ensign yet, the june stock moves will be up soon so ill post an update on that. Any idea if any have been sold (if your allowed to say). Id alos be surprised if any competitors bought some second hand stuff from Lothian, id be happy if 708 was though

Lothian wont sell directly to nationwide bus companies or competitors / potential competitors in the local region to Lothian, typically described as Central Scotland, West Scotland and the Borders. Obvious exception for the old open toppers being sold to WCM as these were special vehicles and not service vehicles.

The company also has a similar policy (recently put in place) with bus dealers in that if Lothian sell second hand buses to them that they aent resold to the above companies.

I'm not aware of anything being sold to Ensign recently, although they declined the offer of the OmniCities when they first went up for sale so i doubt they would go for the B7's. They werent keen on anything Euro 3 and relatively new as resales would take a while. Thats why they only bought a small number of tridents. i'd like to see a Scania preserved in Airlink or woops livery but i doubt it sadly.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Lothian wont sell directly to nationwide bus companies or competitors / potential competitors in the local region to Lothian, typically described as Central Scotland, West Scotland and the Borders. Obvious exception for the old open toppers being sold to WCM as these were special vehicles and not service vehicles.

The company also has a similar policy (recently put in place) with bus dealers in that if Lothian sell second hand buses to them that they aent resold to the above companies.

I'm not aware of anything being sold to Ensign recently, although they declined the offer of the OmniCities when they first went up for sale so i doubt they would go for the B7's. They werent keen on anything Euro 3 and relatively new as resales would take a while. Thats why they only bought a small number of tridents. i'd like to see a Scania preserved in Airlink or woops livery but i doubt it sadly.
Aye ad like to see a scania preserved aswell, lothian still have 991 & 996. If id like to see anthting preserved it would be a B7 (preferably 708) as is in straight lines livery, thats a big ask aswell but im hoping it happens

OmniCity999

Established Member
Aye ad like to see a scania preserved aswell, lothian still have 991 & 996. If id like to see anthting preserved it would be a B7 (preferably 708) as is in straight lines livery, thats a big ask aswell but im hoping it happens

There's already a B7 preserved, another wont be preserved. B9 Gemini 2 possibly, B5 Gemini 3 almost definitely in the years to come.

Observer

Makes a change from the days where they were happily selling Olympians to Horsburgh! I do wonder how long this policy has been in place though.

Observer

M-Line only do schools though, no real issue there. Hunters got 52 plates as well but they only strayed onto the Stirling Park and Ride on very rare occasions.

DunsBus

Established Member
I remember when LRT, as was, had a scrap-only policy for its redundant buses. This policy was introduced in 1989, in the Charles Evans era, and lasted until the change of management in 1999. It came about after a local dealer who had taken several withdrawn Atlanteans for scrap then sold them on for further use, much to LRT's chagrin.

alangla

McLeans in Airdrie seem to have at least one Airlink Scania, also saw a McNairn’s President recently but didn’t get a close enough look to see if it was a Lothian one.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
McLeans in Airdrie seem to have at least one Airlink Scania, also saw a McNairn’s President recently but didn’t get a close enough look to see if it was a Lothian one.
McLeans have 1 Scania (988), McNarins have Ex ECB 20627, 634 & 655, SD Travel in Bathgate have 641, M-Line Alloa have 652-654, 662 & 673 thats all the nearby ones

Tom B

Established Member
Conversely at the other end of the country, waiting for a bus a year or so ago in London and ex-Lothian 556 sails around the corner on a school duty!

Lothian285

Anyone see the new bus stop info kicking around?

There's an article about it here: https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2019/07/new-lothian-bus-stop-information/

New Lothian Bus Stop Information

Over the last 18 months we’ve been working with our software partner GIRO to develop new timetable information for Edinburgh. This is the first time since the 1990’s that the design has been reviewed and incorporates much of the feedback we’ve had from our customers over the last few years.

The new timetable information at your bus stop will include current location, direction of travel, estimated journey times and fare zones. The colour contrast has also been improved, with times now printed on a clear white background helping improve visibility in poor lighting and for those with vision impairment.

Keith Finlay, Business Development Manager said;

We have made a significant investment updating our bus stop timetable information, incorporating feedback from customers and best practice from other cities. Our clear objective is to provide more of the information that customers need to better inform their travel choices, and in a clearer format, to help make using the bus easier and more attractive.

This new style information will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks in line with our service change later this month by our small Information Infrastructure team. They look after our bus stop information across over 3,000 bus stops on our network and will be working tirelessly in the coming weeks ensuring that the new information is available.

Due to the volumes of bus stops needing to be updated, some information will be replaced in advance. Look to notice new bus stop information appearing at your bus stop.

Interesting to note that the picture of one of the timetables for the 22 and 35 appears to show that contactless payments are accepted.

oldman

It's a good sign that it's going to happen, but it's not good to advertise something you don't deliver. They look better than the current version - clearer and with more intermediate points shown. Doesn't do what the previous version did and show where two routes run together part of the way, but that would be more expensive. Something better is needed at city centre stops.

And where are the actual new timetables? The news item has slipped off the front page again, doesn't include a number of changes which are in the leaflet (not on display on the buses yesterday), and no links. All a bit sloppy, and sloppiness starts at the top.

DunsBus

Established Member
I see that Borders Buses are considering diverting their X95 to serve Gorebridge itself. No doubt this is to maintain the link between Gorebridge and Edinburgh city centre via the RIE, which is about to be lost with the imminent curtailment of the 33 to Sheriffhall.

route101

Established Member
Last airlink scania i seen was the one at the open day in 2016 , then they disappeared after that

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Okay anyone know why 708 & 717 are showing on finlaysmity.co.uk in a field next to Livingston? (edit) they are both out on Lothian Country services from Livingston depot

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

Okay anyone know why 708 & 717 are showing on finlaysmity.co.uk in a field next to Livingston? (edit) they are both out on Lothian Country services from Livingston depot
Your edit is correct, however the tracking on some buses from that site has been a little rocky over the past little while anyway, as there was, not too long ago, 3 buses (forget fleet numbers) in the Firth! Also was several in a row parked up at LCB depot... in a field. 1004 right now for example, is in the middle of a field. Not sure why the tracker is so off though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Your edit is correct, however the tracking on some buses from that site has been a little rocky over the past little while anyway, as there was, not too long ago, 3 buses (forget fleet numbers) in the Firth! Also was several in a row parked up at LCB depot... in a field. 1004 right now for example, is in the middle of a field. Not sure why the tracker is so off though.
I hope 708/717 at LCB is a temporary measure considering i dont want to buy a newtork day ticket just to go on 708 now. The river forth is a default location for vehicles at Kings, usually the forth or in Abercorn

SpeedbirdA350

Sometimes a madder bus goes from LB to LCB on a day trip due to a driver wanting a bandit screen I think. 708 however today was not in service from what I see, but 717 was doing 280 today.

Edirim

563 was replaced by 708 and both worked the 281.
Nothing to do with bandit screens AFAIK... At least 2 madder have been on lcb routes for the last few weeks.

DunsBus

Established Member
I see that Borders Buses are considering diverting their X95 to serve Gorebridge itself. No doubt this is to maintain the link between Gorebridge and Edinburgh city centre via the RIE, which is about to be lost with the imminent curtailment of the 33 to Sheriffhall.

And in fact it's now not going to happen!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Sometimes a madder bus goes from LB to LCB on a day trip due to a driver wanting a bandit screen I think. 708 however today was not in service from what I see, but 717 was doing 280 today.
708 is back at Longstone now but 717 is still at Livingstone

Status
Not open for further replies.