• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemy

Noticed that the tour buses are back showing on tracker at marine. Obviously resurfaced after their time in the South Atlantic lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scott mac

6 open toppers on the way for Lothian 60 plates don't no the full plans maybe going to do tours the same as first with the same price

A330Alex

Perhaps their plan with these and the new XLB Airlinks is just to blockade Waverley Bridge!

OmniCity999

Established Member
6 open toppers on the way for Lothian 60 plates don't no the full plans maybe going to do tours the same as first with the same price

ohhh imagine, a return for MacTours on a budget tour... £5 tickets with a discount on other tours if you use this cheap tour.

Or even a free tour, working at a loss to beat the competitor, sounds very much like Lothian at the moment...

overthewater

Established Member
Either way it plays right into First hands... Even more out goings and less revenues.

I've spotted more staff than usual, again more costs..

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Interesting to note that "Hall & Co" have allegedly been telling Facebook Group admins to remove all traces relating to those Gemini's.... Surely Hall & Co should stick to running buses rather than dictating enthusiast groups.

Edinbusman

My first experience of new three axle Edinburgh bus wasn’t good.

I’m interested to know if anyone is aware of this issue. At 6’ tall I got on a bus recently and on heading to the lower deck back seat I crunched my head on the ceiling of the bus when stepping up to the raised rear seating area.

Firstly the step up is an incredibly high step at around 1’ but extraordinarily IMO there is no extra head height above the step.

Surely this is an incredulous design flaw. I alerted the driver of the incident on leaving the bus and he in fact remarked he had done the same thing.

This seems very much less than ideal. I have hurt my neck through what feels like no fault of my own.

I have searched this morning to see if this is a known issue but have not turned up anything. This seems like a good place for me to raise the topic. Those unaware may also like to see for themselves when next on said buses.

(perhaps not greatest picture of the step but it is certainly a very high step which then seriously limits head height available)

Input appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• C90C2148-93E0-44BD-A714-03C10C9F5E19.jpeg
    C90C2148-93E0-44BD-A714-03C10C9F5E19.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71

Jordan Adam

Established Member
My first experience of new three axle Edinburgh bus wasn’t good.

I’m interested to know if anyone is aware of this issue. At 6’ tall I got on a bus recently and on heading to the lower deck back seat I crunched my head on the ceiling of the bus when stepping up to the raised rear seating area.

Firstly the step up is an incredibly high step at around 1’ but extraordinarily IMO there is no extra head height above the step.

Surely this is an incredulous design flaw. I alerted the driver of the incident on leaving the bus and he in fact remarked he had done the same thing.

This seems very much less than ideal. I have hurt my neck through what feels like no fault of my own.

I have searched this morning to see if this is a known issue but have not turned up anything. This seems like a good place for me to raise the topic. Those unaware may also like to see for themselves when next on said buses.

(perhaps not greatest picture of the step but it is certainly a very high step which then seriously limits head height available)

Input appreciated. Thank you

Ever since they entered service there's been complaints of poor head and leg room.

Edinbusman

Thanks for your reply. Personally I'd have to categorise my experience as seeing the headroom as dangerously unacceptable rather than just poor.

Headroom did seem fine up until climbing the step to the very back area, being when I hit my head. At 6' I am fairly tall but not unusually tall.

oldman

I have complained (here, to LB, and to my councillor) about the leg room. It isn't just tall people who are affected - it doesn't leave space for bags, newspapers, tablets etc, and combined with high seat backs you don't get much of a view. There has also been controversy about the buggy space issue.

I assume that someone thought that 100 seats sounded so sexy that details like passenger comfort were sacrificed. 94 just wouldn't sound so good.

Actually it's good for my health because I now walk further to use other routes where possible.

Edinbusman

Thanks for the reply, it is interesting about general space and accomodation but in all seriousness there just didn't seem to be the necessary head height that the high step up meant was required at the back of this new bus. I was stunned in more ways than one when I hit my head hard on the ceiling. Luckily there was some give in the ceiling panel otherwise I may well have suffered more badly.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I have complained (here, to LB, and to my councillor) about the leg room. It isn't just tall people who are affected - it doesn't leave space for bags, newspapers, tablets etc, and combined with high seat backs you don't get much of a view. There has also been controversy about the buggy space issue.

I assume that someone thought that 100 seats sounded so sexy that details like passenger comfort were sacrificed. 94 just wouldn't sound so good.

Actually it's good for my health because I now walk further to use other routes where possible.

I've said it from the beginning that to me it seemed a PR stunt (not that Lothian would ever do that would they), "Lets buy 42 100 seat 'Monster' buses". It kind of speaks volumes when they choose 1 extra seat over a second buggy space, the latter of which is much more required and appreciated!

Darklord8899

Spotted that the ECB X7 is getting another timetable alteration, anyone know why so soon after it's July change?

Section 3.4 – Applications to Vary Existing Services Granted Under Short Notice
PM1050765/9 EAST COAST BUSES LIMITED, 55 ANNANDALE ST, EDINBURGH, EH7 4AZ
Operating between Dunbar and Edinburgh given service number X7 / effective from 12 August 2019. To amend Timetable.

takno

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. Personally I'd have to categorise my experience as seeing the headroom as dangerously unacceptable rather than just poor.

Headroom did seem fine up until climbing the step to the very back area, being when I hit my head. At 6' I am fairly tall but not unusually tall.
So at 6' you have never previously encountered a ceiling that wasn't high enough for you? And you confidently took a step up six inches in an area where you already knew the height of the ceiling and were surprised when it was still there? And now you are sitting there taking photos and angrily calling it a naughty step? I'm not surprised the step is incredulous to be honest - so am I

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Do they not put warnings at the rear of the lower deck advising people to mind their heads when leaving the seat? They did when I was a kid, so it's hardly a new issue. More of a non-issue, IMHO. Does nobody apply common sense any more?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Interesting to note that "Hall & Co" have allegedly been telling Facebook Group admins to remove all traces relating to those Gemini's.... Surely Hall & Co should stick to running buses rather than dictating enthusiast groups.

It's an unconfirmed rumour that they've been bought, but considering how shifty the companies been towards it its questionable, although as i understand it, if they were to be bought by Lothian they'd be run by a seperate company and not EBT.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Lothian has brought them alright... One of them along with another lothian bus is heading up the M80 right now. No doubt heading to grangmouth

Any folks round Grangemouth way able to get any photos? We wont get them back for a few days, maybe a week or two so interested to have a wee look.

Ricky Kane

only 5 that didnt come to lothian, BF60 UUC/E/G/H/J they went to a London tour company
this one was spotted with a newly painted Lothain bus ( 351 ) on the M80

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563538448019.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563538448019.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Rumour is these are to be used as a low cost tour same as the first one with no guide

Thing is the company could genuinely afford to run said tour for free with the vast profits the other tours make.

I believe the idea is to offer it at £5 with discount on other tours if you use this tour.

SpeedbirdA350

Thing is the company could genuinely afford to run said tour for free with the vast profits the other tours make.

I believe the idea is to offer it at £5 with discount on other tours if you use this tour.
If they run £5, then it would put a dent in First alright but not the knockout blow they think. However, on what route would that run I wonder.

A330Alex

For contactless on the 43 you need to state where you’re going (as opposed to regular LCB where you state the ticket and LB where you won’t say anything).

So rather amusingly if you travel down Queensferry road on the 41, 43 or 113 and use contactless it would be different every time!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If they run £5, then it would put a dent in First alright but not the knockout blow they think. However, on what route would that run I wonder.

Agree, however even then it'll dent Lothian more than First as they'll be loosing even more passengers from the EBT services while also having to invest in those additional vehicles and drivers, keep in mind many tourists probably don't realise all the EBT services are actually run by the same company. You then have to question if it'll be viable to operate if it's only £5. So there's certainly going to be significant revenue loss for Lothian, this is partially what First want. Will be interesting to see what turns out from this in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.