• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edinbusman

Wanted to reply/update re my posts a few weeks ago after hitting my head on the ceiling (lower deck rear) on one of Edinburgh's twin rear axle buses. I am just over 6' tall and on stepping up the high step at the back of the bus I clouted my head on the ceiling, hurting my neck more than anything.

I have pursued Lothian Buses to the best of my ability, stating from the off the design is seriously flawed. To my surprise they (verbally) admitted knowing of the problem (the driver of my bus on the day also said to me he had done the same) but in relation to any compensation from them they appear to see themselves as teflon coated because the buses passed conformity type tests.

I genuinely feel there has been mistakes made if this design was deemed perfectly acceptable. Bottom line is that there isn't any extra head height above the step up at the rear these buses have.

I am presently considering my options regarding taking the matter further. It was slightly disappointing no one here seemed to know of the problem. As I say, my driver and indeed LB themselves actually seem aware. If anyone has any input or advice please share! Thank you.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Wanted to reply/update re my posts a few weeks ago after hitting my head on the ceiling (lower deck rear) on one of Edinburgh's twin rear axle buses. I am just over 6' tall and on stepping up the high step at the back of the bus I clouted my head on the ceiling, hurting my neck more than anything.

I have pursued Lothian Buses to the best of my ability, stating from the off the design is seriously flawed. To my surprise they (verbally) admitted knowing of the problem (the driver of my bus on the day also said to me he had done the same) but in relation to any compensation from them they appear to see themselves as teflon coated because the buses passed conformity type tests.

I genuinely feel there has been mistakes made if this design was deemed perfectly acceptable. Bottom line is that there isn't any extra head height above the step up at the rear these buses have.

I am presently considering my options regarding taking the matter further. It was slightly disappointing no one here seemed to know of the problem. As I say, my driver and indeed LB themselves actually seem aware. If anyone has any input or advice please share! Thank you.
What exactly are you wanting to do? if you hit your head on the roof because of low headroom then dont go there, im 6”3 and have hit my head on the roof at the back of the XLBs and upstairs on Gemini 3s but i either duck down or go where there is headroom

Edinbusman

The point is, someone my height should surely not be at risk of injury.

Others should not have to suffer what I have through no fault of their own. Completely inadequate headroom above this step, this is not the same as general limited space/headroom. Climbing a step to unexpectedly hit your head is not acceptable to me.

I want to see warning signage at the very least but forcing changes to implement adequate headroom would be better.

I am currently paying for private physio treatment. On a personal level I was seeking compensation. Getting compensation seems in part what is necessary as if forced to pay it, it shows liability.

I am hoping to speak to a solicitor this week to discuss the matter but I’ve no idea what the lay of the land is.

SpeedbirdA350

What were your injuries if you don't mind me asking? were you taken to hospital? Did the driver call you an ambulance? As for headroom changes, making actual changes to the headroom on any lower deck is not a small job what so ever. Ie, pretty much impossible.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Others should not have to suffer what I have through no fault of their own. Completely inadequate headroom above this step, this is not the same as general limited space/headroom. Climbing a step to unexpectedly hit your head is not acceptable to me.

I want to see warning signage at the very least but forcing changes to implement adequate headroom would be better.

I am currently paying for private physio treatment. On a personal level I was seeking compensation. Getting compensation seems in part what is necessary as if forced to pay it, it shows liability.

I am hoping to speak to a solicitor this week to discuss the matter but I’ve no idea what the lay of the land is.
all it takes is common sense to see the floor to roof height isnt big enough, there is no way to avoid this design due to how buses are made. You’re definately overreacting to a small matter

Edinbusman

I have never in my life boarded a bus, plane, train or tram and inadvertently suffered an injury due to what I see as an extraordinary design fail.

Providers of public transportation have a duty of care to us all, I genuinely feel the design of the bus is flawed. As I say, Lothian Buses appear aware of the matter. They don’t however appear to consider themselves at risk from actions against them over it.

I do not want to discuss my injuries but after the incident I got all relevant information from the bus/driver and I can confirm Lothian Buses have taken the matter seriously analysing CCTV and speaking to the driver.

I am astonished at the responses here this evening. These buses will be in operation for years causing similar injuries unless something is done. Head and neck injuries can be serious.

You simply ought not to have a step without considering adequate head height above it.

You would not expect to hit your head upon boarding the bus. This is little different.

Last edited:

Auld reekie

It appears you’re being over dramatic.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I have never in my life boarded a bus, plane, train or tram and inadvertently suffered an injury due to what I see as an extraordinary design fail.

Providers of public transportation have a duty of care to us all, I genuinely feel the design of the bus is flawed. As I say, Lothian Buses appear aware of the matter. They don’t however appear to consider themselves at risk from actions against them over it.

I do not want to discuss my injuries but after the incident I got all relevant information from the bus/driver and I can confirm Lothian Buses have taken the matter seriously analysing CCTV and speaking to the driver.

I am astonished at the responses here this evening. These buses will be in operation for years causing similar injuries unless something is done. Head and neck injuries can be serious.

You simply ought not to have a step without considering adequate head height above it.
It appears you’re being over dramatic.
id like to add in “very” to that sentence

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

What are you wanting Lothian to do then? Frankly they are not that much worse than the rest of the fleet and I’m sure there are plenty of alternative seats in the rest of the bus (a good 70 of them) that you could sit in, the seats near the front next to the priority seats have plenty of headroom. There are loads of tri axles globally and a lot of B8L’s around the world and it works perfectly fine.

If anyone seriously thought they could get ADL/Volvo to do a redesign for future orders then that’s just delusional.

I’m unsure whether to take your comments 100% seriously.

If it bothers you that much then don’t sit there, they’re not gonna design a bus just for you - sadly life doesn’t work like that. But tbh I can’t see why you can’t just sit elsewhere.

CM

You would not expect to hit your head upon boarding the bus. This is little different.

And you have a duty of care to mind your surroundings, it's not the bus companys fault if you walk up the back of a bus climb up a step and hit your head, it's your own fault for not paying attention. If you walk down the street and straight into a lampost are you going to blame the council for putting it there?

You'll find that the majority of UK spec double and single decker buses have a step up at the back as the space under the floor has things like engines and gearboxes etc etc underneath them.

Edinbusman

Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion. Mine is that someone a shade over 6’ tall shouldn’t be at risk from bashing their head because of inadequate head height above a step. As I said above you wouldn’t expect to hit your head boarding the bus, I equally did not expect to hit my head upon mounting the step to the rear seating area.

Lothian Buses acknowledged this as a known issue yesterday. I would be willing to bet they are not in the least happy about this happening and did not expect or anticipate it.

I remain astonished at the replies here, particularly in light of LB’s admission and even my driver admitting he himself had hit his head.

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

Head and neck can be very serious, thus I asked if you had been taken to hospital via ambulance. I can only assume not. The fact however you mention about speaking with a lawyer, makes me think this is all about a frivolous lawsuit instead. Head bumps at walking pace and private physio has slightly confused me though. Still, just remember to take all medical letters from your GP, neuro, etc..with you to the lawyers.

Not being funny here but the best advice I can give you is to try sit near the ftont of the bus on the B8L in future.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion. Mine is that someone a shade over 6’ tall shouldn’t be at risk from bashing their head because of inadequate head height above a step. As I said above you wouldn’t expect to hit your head boarding the bus, I equally did not expect to hit my head upon mounting the step to the rear seating area.
jesus christ, as was said you wouldn't walk into a lampost and complain that the council put it there so why keep rambling on here about it? Its boring me and other members to death so please if its such an issue go and deal with it elsewhere and not here.

CM

I'm 6ft 2 and I've banged my head on the celings of buses and luggage racks on trains more times than I can remember and haven't gone running to the nearest interweb forum to moan. It's your own fault that you banged your head, nobody elses. Next time you get on a bus why don't you pay more attention to what your doing and take resposibility for your own actions.

Jesus wept.

Lothian_Bus

Lothian Buses acknowledged this as a known issue yesterday. I would be willing to bet they are not in the least happy about this happening and did not expect or anticipate it.

I remain astonished at the replies here, particularly in light of LB’s admission and even my driver admitting he himself had hit his head.

I hope you are ok.

Would you be satisfied if Lothian put a sign up at the step to warn people to be careful? That is one potential solution.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Next time you get on a bus why don't you pay more attention to what your doing and take resposibility for your own actions.

Jesus wept.
exaclty what ive said, ive bashed my head loads in gemini 3s upper decks and i get a sore head for a minute, not a extreme head & neck injury and spreading excessive load of wibble on a forum

CM

exaclty what ive said, ive bashed my head loads in gemini 3s upper decks and i get a sore head for a minute, not a extreme head & neck injury and spreading excessive load of wibble on a forum

I've been on a few of the B8Ls and managed to sit up the back without putting my head through the celling and saying hello to the top deck punters. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanders around Edinburgh banging into everything and saying "what a stupid place to put a castle.....I'm going to sue"

SpeedbirdA350

I hope you are ok.

Would you be satisfied if Lothian put a sign up at the step to warn people to be careful? That is one potential solution.
Colin, what about those who can't read English though? I suggest an audio version. You know like the one that tells people upstair at the back that the doors are closing? Like that, just with a watch your head comment instead.

OmniCity999

Established Member

Every object you use in your entire life is ergonomically designed. Ergonomics is the process of studying how people interact with their environment. Thats what design is.

Ergonomics is split into three percentiles. 5th, 50th and 95th. 50th in our case is the majority of the public and 95th is those members of the public who are that little bit taller, or wider etc. This even goes down to things like fingers too.

Everything on a bus has been ergonomically designed, alot more emphasis design wise is put on things the public use, it has to be as many different people use it. From the doors, the seats, the grab poles, the windows, the stairs and even the ticket machine, all ergonomically designed. The fact that these buses exist means they have passed their ergonomic design test. They are suitable for 5th and 50th percentiles and obviously partially suitable for the 95th percentile. As long as an object fits each percentile by 10% it passes.

I think whats happened here is that you're not aware of your surroundings. I'm well over 6ft. I end up taking an XLB home most days, i sit at the back because thats where i feel most comfortable. i see the distance between the floor and the ceiling getting smaller and smaller and i deal with it he way i see fit, i crouch. It's not an issue, i just understand that that area of the bus is not designed for people of my size.

I think you asking for a sign to go up is a bit unnecessary, just look, realise its not a large enough area for you and dont go there, the designers clearly thought it would have been common sense. Although i do agree that area is tight, if one of those buses rolls over, people are going to be trapped.

I hope you're okay, but just look where you're going.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I've been on a few of the B8Ls and managed to sit up the back without putting my head through the celling and saying hello to the top deck punters. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanders around Edinburgh banging into everything and saying "what a stupid place to put a castle.....I'm going to sue"
ahaha. I hit my head the first time i admit but from that i learned to not sit up the back downstairs and go to my usual place i sit on the bus upstairs at the back, i didnt write big essays moaning about a design flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.