• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Colin, what about those who can't read English though? I suggest an audio version. You know like the one that tells people upstair at the back that the doors are closing? Like that, just with a watch your head comment instead.

You're suggesting they include an audio announcement to warn people to be aware of their surroundings?

Nanny state.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edinbusman

I said above at least warning signage should be placed.

Still amazed at the lack of recognition that placement of a step without the necessary head height above it is the issue.

At 6’ I’ve spent a lot of my life also dodging things etc.

For those who think I am some sort of bleating softie I’ve played ice hockey for years and am well used to injury and recovering from injuries. I haven’t had concussion from this (concussion is grim feeling sick etc for days/weeks) but I have injured my neck from this.

OmniCity999

Established Member
ahaha. I hit my head the first time i admit but from that i learned to not sit up the back downstairs and go to my usual place i sit on the bus upstairs at the back, i didnt write big essays moaning about a design flaw

It's not a design flaw though, its passed all the relevant tests. A design flaw is creating a chocolate teapot, thats a true design flaw.

CM

Colin, what about those who can't read English though? I suggest an audio version. You know like the one that tells people upstair at the back that the doors are closing? Like that, just with a watch your head comment instead.

Read what? You walk up to the back of the bus, LOOK and SEE that there is a step and less room between the floor and celing and then lower your head accordingly to avoid a wee bump on the noggin. It's not hard and there's nothing to "read".

SpeedbirdA350

Read what? You walk up to the back of the bus, LOOK and SEE that there is a step and less room between the floor and celing and then lower your head accordingly to avoid a wee bump on the noggin. It's not hard and there's nothing to "read".
I guess my sarcasm isnt coming through quite as I had thought when I wrote that lol.

OmniCity999

Established Member

i think we should have a conductor to sit up the back and tell everyone to mind their head.

Fryschocream

You would difficulty standing upright on any double deck bus in the uk if over six foot tall. If the design meets construction and use regulations and is passed fit by VOSA at the start of its life the i would suggest your claim wouldn't get anywhere. Your money though so crack on.

SpeedbirdA350

I remember a while ago, Lothian tried out on bus 403 I think, an upstairs seating reader to see how many empty seats were upstair. They never really said anyting about it after and I don't know if it is still installed on that bus or not. Does anyone know if it were a success or not? Makes me wonder if that is something they could use on future buses as the idea behind it was good.

Edinbusman

Ultimately I feel what happened to me could easily be happening to other people day in day out. It shouldn’t be.

No one seems to picking up on the fact LB are aware of this issue. I believe exact words yesterday were “it’s a known issue.”

Yes, people will have mishaps, not be as aware as they should be etc but I don’t think this should be happening.

SpeedbirdA350

Ultimately I feel what happened to me could easily be happening to other people day in day out. It shouldn’t be.

No one seems to picking up on the fact LB are aware of this issue. I believe exact words yesterday was “it’s a known issue.”

Yes, people will have mishaps, not be as aware as they should be etc but I don’t think this should be happening.
If anything, a sign (sticker) could be placed above the step but lawyers and lawsuits? Nah. Sorry, but nah.

CM

I said above at least warning signage should be placed.

Still amazed at the lack of recognition that placement of a step without the necessary head height above it is the issue.

At 6’ I’ve spent a lot of my life also dodging things etc.

For those who think I am some sort of bleating softie I’ve played ice hockey for years and am well used to injury and recovering from injuries. I haven’t had concussion from this (concussion is grim feeling sick etc for days/weeks) but I have injured my neck from this.

You are ALWAYS going to get restriced headroom on buses, especially at the back. It's up to YOU to asses your surroundings and sort yourself out appropriatley. You bumped your head, big deal, it's not the end of the world and you haven't died.

By the way, out of sheer curiosity, are you an American?

OmniCity999

Established Member
I remember a while ago, Lothian tried out on bus 403 I think, an upstairs seating reader to see how many empty seats were upstair. They never really said anyting about it after and I don't know if it is still installed on that bus or not. Does anyone know if it were a success or not? Makes me wonder if that is something they could use on future buses as the idea behind it was good.

No one seems to picking up on the fact LB are aware of this issue. I believe exact words yesterday were “it’s a known issue.”

There is no issue, be aware of your surroundings.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Getting things back on topic, a random thing that ive noticed is that the Ex Londoners don't have T advert boards on the right but they did when they were in London, anyone know why that is?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Getting things back on topic, a random thing that ive noticed is that the Ex Londoners don't have T advert boards on the right but they did when they were in London, anyone know why that is?

Cost and the company is moving toward rectangle frames anyway because of the glass staircases, so if they standardise the whole fleet its easier for the advertising company.

takno

Established Member
If you didn't look to see how much headroom there is, would you honestly look at a sign telling you to mind your head?
Presumably the warning sign would be slightly lower, allowing even more people to scrape their their noggin and claim their luverly bit of unearned compo. This is essentially why we can't have nice things

Status
Not open for further replies.