• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
Went past Marine today and only around 10 B7s in the Car Park. seems they’re selling well

About 2-4 weeks ago a mini bus load of First drivers from down south came up and removed a load of them. Believe they were just being shunted by First drivers though and not sold to First.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
302 back in service after its crash in June, front panels are the same spec as the Ex-Londoners

gavin1985

First time traveling on the buses using contactless on Sunday. Wasn't sure how many buses I would use, so I didn't bother getting a day-saver on the M-tickets app. Have to say that it was a very painless experience, got on the 49 at the Royal Infirmary and changed over to the 300 at Cameron Toll to get off just before the college on Calder Road, where I knew contactless was already in place, I didn't realise that the capping system was in place on the Skylink buses.
Got charged yesterday on my bank for £3.40.

What struck me is that if the Skylink buses were able to be part of the capping system, how can't the Trams be part of the same system? As they have the same zones to deal with essentially.
I know the link on contactless mentions Lothian Country and East Coast (which Lothian Country for me would be handy where I might need to bus it to work for Newbridge in a rush and I might need to make another journey on top of that).
https://www.lothianbuses.com/contactless/
https://www.lothianbuses.com/contactless-capping-faqs/

It is just strange that the Trams have not been mentioned.

Weemidi135

First time traveling on the buses using contactless on Sunday. Wasn't sure how many buses I would use, so I didn't bother getting a day-saver on the M-tickets app. Have to say that it was a very painless experience, got on the 49 at the Royal Infirmary and changed over to the 300 at Cameron Toll to get off just before the college on Calder Road, where I knew contactless was already in place, I didn't realise that the capping system was in place on the Skylink buses.
Got charged yesterday on my bank for £3.40.

What struck me is that if the Skylink buses were able to be part of the capping system, how can't the Trams be part of the same system? As they have the same zones to deal with essentially.
I know the link on contactless mentions Lothian Country and East Coast (which Lothian Country for me would be handy where I might need to bus it to work for Newbridge in a rush and I might need to make another journey on top of that).
https://www.lothianbuses.com/contactless/
https://www.lothianbuses.com/contactless-capping-faqs/

It is just strange that the Trams have not been mentioned.

at the moment lothian country doesn’t have the TAP TAP CAP

gavin1985

at the moment lothian country doesn’t have the TAP TAP CAP

Yes sorry you are right, what I meant to say is that both Lothian Country and East Coast are at least in the pipeline for the Tap, Tap, Cap. Would be good to see the Trams included, which is what I thought when they removed the minimum £3 spend for cards at the machine.

etetetetet

Are lothian updating all of their displays? Noticed that a lot of the 10's ex hybrids have had their LED changed to just destination and number, and replaced with the brighter ones too. Same with the 11 plates.

Guess the blinds are over

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Are lothian updating all of their displays? Noticed that a lot of the 10's ex hybrids have had their LED changed to just destination and number, and replaced with the brighter ones too. Same with the 11 plates.

Guess the blinds are over
201-215, 401-425, 551-570 have all had there screens changed from two screens to one removing the intermediate stops. i personally preferred the old ones

Darklord8899

.... I miss the 'Part Route' 'Limited Stop' 'Route Diverted' 'Rugby Special' information more than the intermediate points. I also think they were more helpful for visitors as well

Established Member
Not all of 201-215 have been done, some still have the old screens.

The new ones are a pain, because the way they've been set up is totally insane - with only one list of almost 1400 route and destination combinations, and no list of where each route number actually starts within that.
I genuinely can't understand who would set it up like that and think it was a good job.

nessapean

Should have kept the part route and intermediate screens. Yet another thing changed without proper thought.

Nawm8

Not all of 201-215 have been done, some still have the old screens.

The new ones are a pain, because the way they've been set up is totally insane - with only one list of almost 1400 route and destination combinations, and no list of where each route number actually starts within that.
I genuinely can't understand who would set it up like that and think it was a good job.

Are you on about the ICU602 controllers? The DG3's aren't that bad to use.

SpeedbirdA350

Who is it that selects the seating layout? I would have assumed Lothian but I'm not sure. One thing I have noticed (please correct me if I am wrong) but the B5LH (551-590) has 2 twin seats for disabled people before the wheelchair space, yet the B5TL has the wheelchair space first. Having those 2 seats closer to the door on the B5LH is so much more welcome for those with mobility issues, than folk can't even imagine. I just wonder why they can't do the B5TL like that.

SpeedbirdA350

201-215, 401-425, 551-570 have all had there screens changed from two screens to one removing the intermediate stops. i personally preferred the old ones

.... I miss the 'Part Route' 'Limited Stop' 'Route Diverted' 'Rugby Special' information more than the intermediate points. I also think they were more helpful for visitors as well

Should have kept the part route and intermediate screens. Yet another thing changed without proper thought.

I HATE the single destination screens they have. Having the intermediate destinations on the screen was always helpful, even for locals who have not used a certain bus/route before.

210 looks very strange I have to say though https://www.flickr.com/photos/barberbus/48941910561/

They removed the tramboards, removed the intermediate screens, whats next to be removed?

SpeedbirdA350

Why are 201-215 usually put on route 10 in particular?
They were put on route 10 in 2011, when they were all hybrid. Big launch they had on them but no new orders were placed and LB from then stuck with Wright, until of course, LB ordered the B8L 400XLB. Not sure if it were due to the number of buses required on that route, or what the full reason for 10 was but they were exclusive to that route, almost brand routed so to speak.

the old LEDs have hardly ever shown intermediate stops on the 1
It did (via blinds) until the 1 route started going single deck with the darts. Before then it was deckers and did have Gorgie, Fountainbridge, Princes Street in the upper screen. Not with LED though. My point abotu 210 was that the upper screen was blank but the route number looked out of place.

Darklord8899

I HATE the single destination screens they have. Having the intermediate destinations on the screen was always helpful, even for locals who have not used a certain bus/route before.

They removed the tramboards, removed the intermediate screens, whats next to be removed?

...... maybe they will follow the early 90's Rome example and remove destination screens :lol::|
When I was there buses only displayed a number!!
The only other information that would be displayed was:
'Prolongata' (Extended Terminus)
'Deviata' (Alternate Terminus)
'Completo' (Bus Full - so not stopping)

Darklord8899

...... maybe they will follow the early 90's Rome example and remove destination screens :lol::|
When I was there buses only displayed a number!!
The only other information that would be displayed was:
'Prolongata' (Extended Terminus)
'Deviata' (Alternate Terminus)
'Completo' (Bus Full - so not stopping)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Who is it that selects the seating layout? I would have assumed Lothian but I'm not sure. One thing I have noticed (please correct me if I am wrong) but the B5LH (551-590) has 2 twin seats for disabled people before the wheelchair space, yet the B5TL has the wheelchair space first. Having those 2 seats closer to the door on the B5LH is so much more welcome for those with mobility issues, than folk can't even imagine. I just wonder why they can't do the B5TL like that.

Oh the B5LHs the batteries are stored under that seat. As such pretty much all B5LHs have that moulded in seat

Grumpyscot

On the 17 /18 reg buses used on East Coast, the destination screen provides 2 lines of text. Top is usually destination, botton is, e.g. "Semple Street", "Express" etc. When the bypass was shut due to accident, ECB added "route diverted" on the bottom line.

Why can't LB do the same? Customers want the route info but are Lothian bosses too narcissistic to do what the customers want?

Lothian_Bus

Why are 201-215 usually put on route 10 in particular?

because thats what route they are allocated to

They were put on route 10 in 2011, when they were all hybrid. Big launch they had on them but no new orders were placed and LB from then stuck with Wright, until of course, LB ordered the B8L 400XLB. Not sure if it were due to the number of buses required on that route, or what the full reason for 10 was but they were exclusive to that route, almost brand routed so to speak.

It did (via blinds) until the 1 route started going single deck with the darts. Before then it was deckers and did have Gorgie, Fountainbridge, Princes Street in the upper screen. Not with LED though. My point abotu 210 was that the upper screen was blank but the route number looked out of place.

They were put onto other routes last year (mainly the 14) but after complaints were restored onto the 10.

Generally it was buses from 351-380 that were operating on service 10 at this point so were from 2011 just like 201-215.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....co-friendly-fleet-after-battery-issues-256562

Status
Not open for further replies.