• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothian_Bus

A few more vehicles from the 579-590 group now back in service. Hard to say for certain but looks like these will be seen mainly on the 3/33 - presumably removing the need for the B7's that have recently been covering the 3 in particular.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
for anyone wondering where the B7s have been sold to..

709, 720, 721, 731, 743 - Dews, near Ely in Cambridgeshire

710, 713, 715, 716, 725, 742, 744, 750, 765, 784, 804, 805, 817, 819, 820 - CT Plus Leeds

749, 772, something else - CT Plus (Powells)

712, 719, 736, 741, 745 and 5 others - Barnett’s, Hull

733, 748 - Bryan’s, Denny

768, 771, 775, 778 - Moffat & Williamson, Glenrothes

ScotRail158725

Established Member
733 , for some reason this never ever had any adverts after repainting
yeah since it was debranded from the 44 its never had an offside advert, only rear and near side ones, the same case with 343 since it was removed from the 22 and 317 for the last few months aswell

David 90825

Is there any particular reason why East Coast Buses still uses a 5 digit fleet numbering system? I was expecting their vehicles to be numbered in the main Lothian series by now.
Thank you.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Is there any particular reason why East Coast Buses still uses a 5 digit fleet numbering system? I was expecting their vehicles to be numbered in the main Lothian series by now.
Thank you.
I’d always thought it was like that to differentiate them from the main Lothian fleet. Although there are a lot of people on here who know more than me, so I may well be wrong.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Thank you.
I’d always thought it was like that to differentiate them from the main Lothian fleet. Although there are a lot of people on here who know more than me, so I may well be wrong.

Initially it was thought to differentiate the Lothian and East Coast for the investigation, not at all. The fuel system used by First in Musselburgh required a 5 digit fleet number to be inputted to fuel buses. It was cheaper to keep their system and have 5 digit fleet numbers than to install a new system. It's a different fuel system to Lothians. As such Lothian Buses cant be refueled in Musselburgh.

Weemidi135

Initially it was thought to differentiate the Lothian and East Coast for the investigation, not at all. The fuel system used by First in Musselburgh required a 5 digit fleet number to be inputted to fuel buses. It was cheaper to keep their system and have 5 digit fleet numbers than to install a new system. It's a different fuel system to Lothians. As such Lothian Buses cant be refueled in Musselburgh.

On a technicality of fast fill caps your correct a lothian bus can’t fill up at Musselburgh but on the other hand lothian has the same fuel system at every garage

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
A photo has emerged of one of the new Enviro400 XLB vehicles belching out white smoke from the exhaust system - note this is not my photo, if you want it removed let me know:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lm9262/49006786392
49006786392_58b34bfd8e_h.jpg

Lothian on Twitter have responded to people saying it is related to the heating system, which I find extremely hard to believe. I suspect it may be related to exhaust regeneration, but does anyone have the actual answer? Ta in advance.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A photo has emerged of one of the new Enviro400 XLB vehicles belching out white smoke from the exhaust system - note this is not my photo, if you want it removed let me know:

Lothian on Twitter have responded to people saying it is related to the heating system, which I find extremely hard to believe. I suspect it may be related to exhaust regeneration, but does anyone have the actual answer? Ta in advance.

Reeky Buses... But i thought the Lord Vegetables of Edinburgh said you'd never see a reeky Lothian vehicle and that only the Barbie coloured vehicles could put out such fumes?

OmniCity999

Established Member

It's the exhaust for the heating system. The heating on these is independent to the bus engine. It's a known issue. As these buses qre so big it's a big system and as with heating on any bus, it's the bodybuilders issue, its ADL's problem and they are looking into it. Volvo just supply the engine for drive and vehicle specific accessories.

Normal buses take power for their heating from the bus engine. These dont, because their so big.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It's the exhaust for the heating system. The heating on these is independent to the bus engine. It's a known issue. As it's a specification option, its ADL's problem and they are looking into it.

The BYDs vehicles down in London have had similar issues.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It's the exhaust for the heating system. The heating on these is independent to the bus engine. It's a known issue. As these buses qre so big it's a big system and as with heating on any bus, it's the bodybuilders issue, its ADL's problem and they are looking into it. Volvo just supply the engine for drive and vehicle specific accessories.
Alright, thanks. Not a good image, and imo, shouldn't be in service.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Alright, thanks. Not a good image, and imo, shouldn't be in service.

It's safe for public and safe for other road users so no issues. These even passed the Euro 6 regulation test, even with that smoke. So entirely safe in someones book, although it is being looked into. We just cant afford to have every single Enviro400XLB off the road at once.

One of the options being looked into is to lengthen the exhaust and drop a small amount of water in to dampen the smoke. 1063 is the test bed.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Can't be a very stringent test then! Have ADL developed a solution for it or is it still under investigation?

I amended my post above for an answer to the solution. It's a safe amount of smoke that disperses quickly and exits the vehicle through the offside. It is safe. Although I agree with you it looks bad, contrary to opinion, it's a safe amount. Although a solution is being worked on, almost entirely for the companies image.

CM

Can't be a very stringent test then! Have ADL developed a solution for it or is it still under investigation?

It's the heating system. Euro 6 applies to engine emissions only. It's winter and no doubt these buses along with every other bus will have it's heating on so it's quite likely you'll be seeing smoke coming out of these buses for the next few months. It's a total non-issue and saying they should be off the road is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.