• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tartan shorts

Does anyone know how much of an issue vandalism is currently to the fleet? I know in the past windows getting broken was a common occurrence in spates across parts of Edinburgh but it seems to be less common now (or less reported). I remember reading at the time it had cost Lothian around £500k that year in damage repairs as a result of stone attacks which is obviously a huge cost against the bottom line. Just wondered if now it's a lot less common and therefore the financial hit is a lot less material?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone know how much of an issue vandalism is currently to the fleet? I know in the past windows getting broken was a common occurrence in spates across parts of Edinburgh but it seems to be less common now (or less reported). I remember reading at the time it had cost Lothian around £500k that year in damage repairs as a result of stone attacks which is obviously a huge cost against the bottom line. Just wondered if now it's a lot less common and therefore the financial hit is a lot less material?
hardly any, odd smashed window due to stones thrown is still a thing but rare (i was on 1071 the other week when that very case happened also there was a minor chip at most) ive also seen on my friends snapchat stories egging of buses but those just get washed off. so overall theres minimal to no vandalism. if you go upstairs at the back there are burns and scratches on the back of the seats aswell but dont think they replace that

etetetetet

Seen someone kick a bus as it came up to the stop somewhere in Gorgie. No clue why, but it didn't dent it or anything and the driver drove off unfazed.

etetetetet

If I do know one route full of neds, the 25 at peak times would be it. Don't sit anywhere near the back of a 25, there are some creatures that hang about there...

Auld reekie

If I do know one route full of neds, the 25 at peak times would be it. Don't sit anywhere near the back of a 25, there are some creatures that hang about there...
Thankfully I don’t use the No30 now.
Lots of fruit loops use that bus.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
the 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 14, 16, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 33, 37, 44, 104, 113 & 124 are all prone to neds & junkies and people of the sort. i always sit up the back because i am a bit of a ned in my spare time but not everyone wearing tracksuits up the back are full on sit and vandalise the bus type

etetetetet

If you sit ip the back of a 25 or some of its similars you will hear the latest in ****e dubstep at full volume, it's almost surreal how often it happens.

And the 30? I am convinced that the 30 is the absolute worst bus route in the city. Overcrowded, filled with neds, always smelling faintly of weed and because it's the only bus that can get to the fort before you die of old age its full of shoppers too. Miserable experience.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
If you sit ip the back of a 25 or some of its similars you will hear the latest in ****e dubstep at full volume, it's almost surreal how often it happens.

And the 30? I am convinced that the 30 is the absolute worst bus route in the city. Overcrowded, filled with neds, always smelling faintly of weed and because it's the only bus that can get to the fort before you die of old age its full of shoppers too. Miserable experience.
dubstep? neds never listen to that nowadays its always rap or grime/drill

the 30 is actually terrible capacity wise, would be a good route with doubles but that 13” bridge at Newcraighall ruins the route

JamboCommuter

the 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 14, 16, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 33, 37, 44, 104, 113 & 124 are all prone to neds & junkies and people of the sort. i always sit up the back because i am a bit of a ned in my spare time but not everyone wearing tracksuits up the back are full on sit and vandalise the bus type
I'd imagine the least threatening route would be the 23 from Trinity to Morningside. It's like a Saga day out with destination Jenners. The only problem might be the smell of filled tena-ladies downstairs. No one young enough to climb up to the top deck so no problem with neds or jakeys!

SpeedbirdA350

dubstep? neds never listen to that nowadays its always rap or grime/drill

the 30 is actually terrible capacity wise, would be a good route with doubles but that 13” bridge at Newcraighall ruins the route
Grime and drill? Grime as in dirt from the gutter and drill as in the power tool? I'm lost!

30 was being spoke about a while ago, re getting more capacity but it has all gone quiet on that right now. Not sure why.

I do wonder, and hopefully someone can answer this for me but why ADL or Lothian have never looked at the Enviro500 SuperLo. It's for the North American market however it's 12' 10" height and can take 81 passangers seated and that is with the luggage lockers. Yes, it would not be super on the upper deck for those taller people but given it's a high capacity bus, that's low enough to go under any bridge, even the 13' at Newcraighall, it could be utalised on many routes without issue like said 30.

KGGXXXY

I'd imagine the least threatening route would be the 23 from Trinity to Morningside. It's like a Saga day out with destination Jenners. The only problem might be the smell of filled tena-ladies downstairs. No one young enough to climb up to the top deck so no problem with neds or jakeys!
Agree with that one when i lived up in Morningside, also could be applied to the 41 Crammond to Kings Buildings (Craighouse back in the day)

etetetetet

I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there absolutely no way to reroute the 30 so it avoids the bridge? It's clear the 30 needs deckers or more capacity. I suppose ultra low height deckers could also be an option.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there absolutely no way to reroute the 30 so it avoids the bridge? It's clear the 30 needs deckers or more capacity. I suppose ultra low height deckers could also be an option.
You could send it via the A1 but that would mean the expanding Newcraighall would lose the bus. The 30 is one of these no win situations, change the route and put doubles people will complain, leave the route as it is with singles and the current situ will continue. It was said earlier in the year something was being looked at but thus far nothing has really changed (except for Stoneybank)

buslad1988

There is no simple (and easy) way to divert the route without causing huge changes as a result - undoubtedly also increasing journey times and sending buses in to even more unpredictable traffic congestion. It may be possible in future years IF housing schemes get the go ahead behind Fort Kinnaird to incorporate these and avoid the bridge.

Lothian clearly aren’t too fussed about the current issues or they’d of done something about it by now. Are people on here making the issue bigger than it actually is?

If the number 2 is okay sticking with singles, why not divert it to serve Fort Kinnard and Mussleburgh, and either truncate the 30 to terminate at the Fort, or divert it to terminate at the Jewel? Then the 30 would be able to use deckers.

Are people on here making the issue bigger than it actually is?
In my experience, the 30 is always pretty busy, in its current route I'd say it should be using deckers (obviously not possible due to the low bridge).

alexf380

Established Member
That just shoves the demand for Muss - Fort Kinnaird onto the 2. Yes, there are a few through passengers to town but many will alight/board at the Fort. The 106 does help, but it doesn't go via Stondybank and is only hourly.

scotrail158713

Established Member
That just shoves the demand for Muss - Fort Kinnaird onto the 2. Yes, there are a few through passengers to town but many will alight/board at the Fort. The 106 does help, but it doesn't go via Stondybank and is only hourly.
Yep. In my experience of using the 30 the biggest flow is Edinburgh to FK, and Musselburgh to FK. There’s not much through travel. The 26, 44, 113 & 124 are all much quicker from Musselburgh into town, and most people in Stoneybank area would get the train since they’re in the one part of Musselburgh that the station’s any use for.

route101

Established Member

Come on its Edinburgh!

route101

Established Member

Coming from Glasgow every bus route in Edinburgh is like that ha

etetetetet

I see. I don't agree that we should shunt the problem onto the 2 alone; the main reason for the overcrowding between the city centre and the fort is because the 30 is the only bus that goes there at a decent pace. I don't know either if introducing or rerouting a second bus service to the fort might help. Maybe making the 2 terminate there? 2 covers a lot of residential space and is pretty close as is and with 2 buses that would reach the fort semi-quickly (Far faster that the 49 could dream of, anyway) it might ease the congestion on the 30 a little bit.

Although, since a lot of passengers who go to the Fort get on the bus on Princes Street and the Bridge, and the 2 doesn't actually go any closer than Grassmarket, it might be a little less useful. Maybe look at the 4 and 5 as well since they both terminate at the Jewel too, but I have never used either so I don't know if that would be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.