• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

The only place I can think of off the top of my head that an XLB won't fit is the left turn at the mini roundabout in Pilton on the 8, and the Geminis only just fit round there.
I would assume that it would also struggle with Corstorphine High Street at that sharp corner (Not that the 1 needs a B8L, ever)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tattyseal

PM1089522/13 Cancelled
PRENTICE COACHES LTD
Route: High Street, Portobello to Northfield Broadway via Moira Terrace, Northfield, Duddingston
Service number: 69 ()
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping
Effective date: 28 Mar 2020

Could be interesting to see what happens to the 69 after this

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
PM1089522/13 Cancelled
PRENTICE COACHES LTD
Route: High Street, Portobello to Northfield Broadway via Moira Terrace, Northfield, Duddingston
Service number: 69 ()
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping
Effective date: 28 Mar 2020

Could be interesting to see what happens to the 69 after this

Had to read that twice to realise that was cancelled, can’t say I’m suprised honestly

It’s the elderly residents up at Willowbrae that I feel sorry for as the section between Morrison’s and Lady Nairne was always used, the Portobello section was partially dead

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’m wondering then if the ‘major’ service changes are being planned for Sunday 29th March - Lothian have today released the plans for the Newhaven/Ocean Terminal area and have said that Leith Walk will close Northbound in March with plans to be revealed shortly

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I’m wondering then if the ‘major’ service changes are being planned for Sunday 29th March - Lothian have today released the plans for the Newhaven/Ocean Terminal area and have said that Leith Walk will close Northbound in March with plans to be revealed shortly

I noticed on the diversion map for Newhaven that buses going towards Ocean Terminal are diverted via the pathway past the ASDA, I didn’t even think that cars could go through that way let alone buses

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I noticed on the diversion map for Newhaven that buses going towards Ocean Terminal are diverted via the pathway past the ASDA, I didn’t even think that cars could go through that way let alone buses
It’s been sealed off for years but only with temporary blocks, they just need to be lifted up and then it’s good to go. Absolute doddle for an XLB in contrast to other places

etetetetet

I never knew much about the 69, other than it was lightly used and mostly for the elderly residents of the area. Sad to see a bus route go, though.

It’s been sealed off for years but only with temporary blocks, they just need to be lifted up and then it’s good to go. Absolute doddle for an XLB in contrast to other places

Always wondered why that was sealed off.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.979...J-VSK2nw!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i16384!8i8192
It's this one right? I used to pass it a lot on the 200

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Always wondered why that was sealed off.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.979...J-VSK2nw!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i16384!8i8192
It's this one right? I used to pass it a lot on the 200
That’s North Fort Street. Both it and Melrose Drive were really bad rat runs.

Melrose Drive is the road off Sandpiper Drive that goes all the way to Ocean Drive and past the Cruise Liner Terminal. IIRC the last bus to serve Melrose Drive was the Majestic Tour (some years ago).

etetetetet

That’s North Fort Street. Both it and Melrose Drive were really bad rat runs.

Melrose Drive is the road off Sandpiper Drive that goes all the way to Ocean Drive and past the Cruise Liner Terminal. IIRC the last bus to serve Melrose Drive was the Majestic Tour (some years ago).

Ah, I see. I'm still getting used to a lot of Edinburgh so I wasn't aware. I remember a while back when the terminal was getting work done the end of the drive near Ocean terminal was used as bus termini

overthewater

Established Member
If there are major change for the end of March the changes are with the Council to consultation. And there should start appearing next wednesday ish .

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
If Lothian pull the 26 out of Tranent that will only leave the X44 as the only Lothian service in the area, unless ECB decide to introduce a X13 in this next service change so Lothian can withdraw the X44 (East)

However the only issue I see with the 26 Tranent journey being withdrawn is the link to Prestonpans and Tranent going missing causing commuters to take two separate buses, and also all the residents of the Upper Pans will be pushed onto the 124 even more.

The only thing I could see compensating for this would be the following options

* A link between Tranent and Seton Sands via Prestonpans on a mini shuttle like service by ECB (like the 139)

* Frequency increase on the 124, or the Sunday Wallyford journeys extending to Prestonpans, I know they introduced them when the 26 Sunday service was reduced to every 15 minutes so if this happens I know the 124 will have an effect for sure

* Extend the 15/X15 back to East Lothian, maybe even via Milton Road instead of Portobello as they already have the 26/124 and extending from Prestonpans to Seton Sands

Again this is all just speculation and I just like to run my mouth off with over sure scenarios so take from this as you will :lol:

cammyeaston

I would very much like to see the 15/X15 returned to East Lothian. It was always well used and was a major loss when it was cut back to Lochend (which turned out to be a mistake as it was anyway!).

I don't expect to see it now, but I've been yearning for some time now, for all ECB services into Edinburgh City Centre to run on a limited stop basis in the city. The Milton Road and Portobello Road corridors are both very well served by the 26/44 and therefore these services should soaking up the local traffic. Long distance services travelling far into or from East Lothian should not be slowed down so that Doris can go to the Morrisons at Piershill.

jb66

I just feel there is little need for the quantity of 26 buses to go beyond haymarket westbound, the a8 corridor is littered with lothian country buses, the 31 and the 12.

Auld reekie

It’s services I never use but the 11 and 16 seems to be over serviced at the weekend particularly the Saturday.

ANWP Tom

Possible 2 birds 1 stone option:
Reinstate the 15/X15 through but via the Jewel, A1, QMU and into Musselburgh as per the 30 to relieve some pressure on the singles at that end?

Weemidi135

Reinstate the 15/X15 through but via the Jewel, A1, QMU and into Musselburgh as per the 30 to relieve some pressure on the singles at that end?

X15 would need to be a single deck then due to the low bridge same as the 30

etetetetet

X15 would need to be a single deck then due to the low bridge same as the 30

actually routing it like that would be a pretty big detour but it avoids the New Craighall bridge

It's been suggested as a possible fix for the 30 before but it does add a fair bit of time and would require a big reroute

Eastbound this could work well for QMU and Stoneybank but it's quite a roundabout route for most of Musselburgh from town . The big issue is the junction to QMU from the A1 is only on the southbound side so citybound buses would either have to follow the 30 route back via Newcraighall (therefore singles only) or run via the A1/A720 roundabout (which is prone to delays). There are plans for major development to the land bordered by the A1/Millerhill yard/Old Craighall which may change this in future

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I just feel there is little need for the quantity of 26 buses to go beyond haymarket westbound, the a8 corridor is littered with lothian country buses, the 31 and the 12.

Along with the 100 and also many first and citylink services, I know with the 26 they reduced it for Sunday’s to keep a consistent frequency along the corridor.

I personally don’t see any of these other services coming off the corstorphine corridor, since the 12 links to Broomhall and the 31 to East Craig’s

Maybe a frequency reduction on the 26 to save on the overbearing traffic on the West? and compensate with an additional service in the East?

While Tranent is perfectly served by many bus services, it’s Port Seton that’s only got the one service, now if they bring the 15 back out and extend it to there that will give the commuters another option, or unless ECB decide to reroute the 124/X24 via Port Seton and Seton Sands like in that diversion a few weeks ago, (The X5 can remain via Seton East)

scotrail158713

Established Member
I don't expect to see it now, but I've been yearning for some time now, for all ECB services into Edinburgh City Centre to run on a limited stop basis in the city. The Milton Road and Portobello Road corridors are both very well served by the 26/44 and therefore these services should soaking up the local traffic. Long distance services travelling far into or from East Lothian should not be slowed down so that Doris can go to the Morrisons at Piershill.
Yes please!

scosutsut

A short journey for me today on the 23 on the numerically oldest decker - 703 still in regular service - still very tidy for her age inside and out I think a fact easily forgotten is they are only 15 years old and wouldn't likely to be bowing out any time soon if they belonged to any major nationwide fleet operator.

They only look dated imo due to the heavy use of blue trim inside - the tartan seats are long gone but that wasn't one of Lothian's best ever design decisions!

I've said it before but it reminded me just how much the original Gemini's suited the non FOTF variant they tried after swoops in my opinion.

route101

Established Member
A short journey for me today on the 23 on the numerically oldest decker - 703 still in regular service - still very tidy for her age inside and out I think a fact easily forgotten is they are only 15 years old and wouldn't likely to be bowing out any time soon if they belonged to any major nationwide fleet operator.

They only look dated imo due to the heavy use of blue trim inside - the tartan seats are long gone but that wasn't one of Lothian's best ever design decisions!

I've said it before but it reminded me just how much the original Gemini's suited the non FOTF variant they tried after swoops in my opinion.

The Lothian Geminis are in better nick than Glasgows , 55 plate ! Still kinda Young ha

Grumpyscot

While Tranent is perfectly served by many bus services, it’s Port Seton that’s only got the one service, now if they bring the 15 back out and extend it to there that will give the commuters another option, or unless ECB decide to reroute the 124/X24 via Port Seton and Seton Sands like in that diversion a few weeks ago, (The X5 can remain via Seton East)

If ECB were to divert the 124/X24 as per the recent diversion then major roadworks will be required on the lane from the coast road to Dean Road/ Kings Avenue. The road has been badly ripped up by the larger ECB buses, plus a more permanent arrangement for traffic lights / one way operation will be needed, as the lane simply isn't wide enough to have a car and a bus pass each other. Also the double deckers were being hit by the overhanging tree branches - apparently the school kids were steering clear of the front upper deck seats because they thought that the windows were going to smash.

And Port Seton actually has 4 bus services - the LB 26, plus the Prentice 110, 111 and 118 services. The 110 is the only service apart from the current 26 that links to Tranent - though Port Seton passengers have to change buses at Prestonpans and pay twice.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/02/service-change-to-take-effect-from-sunday-29-march-2020/

Service change to take effect from Sunday 29 March 2020Lothian are introducing changes to some of our services, incorporating the Leith Walk diversions along with other timetables changes
February 17, 2020
annual-accounts-2018-web-copy-806x300.jpg

Lothian are introducing changes to some of our services from Sunday 29th March 2020, incorporating the Leith Walk diversions along with other timetables changes designed to further improve reliability against a backdrop of increasing congestion.

Below is a list of the services which will see changes from this date. New timetables will be available to view later this week.

Service 1

Revised timetable. Route extended from Foot of Easter Rd to Seafield St via Hermitage Place and Claremont Park to partly replace Service 12. Links Place and Links Gardens will no longer be served.

Service 2

No changes.

Service 3

No changes.

Service 4

Revised timetable.

Service 5

Minor timetable changes.

Service 6

Withdrawn due to low customer usage.

Service 7

Revised timetable. Northbound buses re-routed via London Road and Easter Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service 8

Revised timetable.

Services 10

Revised timetable. Northbound route changed via Annandale Street and Bonnington Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service 11

Revised timetable. Northbound route changed via Annandale Street and Broughton Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service 12

Revised route & timetable with the section of route between the City Centre and Seafield Street withdrawn due to tram construction works in the Leith area. Buses will now terminate at George Street (opposite The Dome), then return to Gyle Centre from Princes Street at the Scott Monument.

Service X12

Withdrawn but replaced by Lothiancountry services X17/X18 which will divert via RBS Gogarburn on morning peak journeys from Edinburgh city centre and evening peak journeys to Edinburgh city centre.

Service 14

Revised timetable. Northbound buses re-routed via London Road and Easter Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service 16

Revised timetable. Northbound buses diverted via London Rd and Easter Rd due to closure of Leith Walk for tram construction works.

Service 19

Revised timetable. During the morning and evening peak on Mondays to Fridays, buses will now operate a one-way loop from Craigentinny Road via Craigentinny Avenue and Portobello Road, then into Wakefield Avenue to avoid congestion on Wakefield Avenue.

Service 20

No changes.

Service 21

No changes.

Service 22

Revised timetable. Northbound route diverted via London Road & Easter Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service 23

Revised timetable.

Service 24

Minor timetable change.

Service 25

Revised timetable. Northbound route diverted via London Road & Easter Road due to tram construction works on Leith Walk.

Service X25

Minor timetable change.

Service 26

Revised timetable.

Service X26

Revised timetable. Stop PK on Princes Street (Eastbound at Jenners) will no longer be served.

Service 27

Revised timetable.

Service 29

No changes.

Service 30

Revised timetable on Saturdays.

Service 31

Revised timetable on Saturdays.

Service X31

Last evening journey is withdrawn due to low customer usage.

Service 33

Revised timetable.

Service X33

No changes.

Service 34

Revised route and timetable. Buses now operating directly via Waterloo Place and Regent Rd, instead of Leith Street/London Rd.

Service 35

Revised timetable.

Service 36

No changes.

Service 37

Minor timetable changes.

Service X37

No changes.

Service 38

Revised timetable with additional capacity on the morning to Royal Infirmary.

Service 41

Revised timetable.

Service 42

Minor timetable changes.

Service 44

Revised timetable.

Service X44 (Tranent)

Revised evening peak timetable. Stop PK on Princes Street (Eastbound at Jenners) will no longer be served.

Service X44 (Balerno)

Revised timetable with additional journeys.

Service 45

Minor timetable changes.

Service 47

Minor timetable changes.

Service X47

Minor timetable changes.

Service 48

Revised timetable.

Service 49

Service 61

No changes.

Service 63

No changes.

Service 67

Minor timetable changes.

Service 69

Withdrawn due to low customer numbers.

Airlink 100

Minor timetable changes on Saturdays.

Skylink 200

No changes.

Skylink 300

Minor timetable changes to provide additional capacity.

Skylink 400

No changes.

Service N3

No changes.

Service N7

Withdrawn however partly replaced by new Service N14 and improved service N11.

Service N11

Revised timetable. The section of route between the City Centre and Ocean Terminal is withdrawn. In the City Centre, the service will operate a one-way loop via Frederick St, George St and South St. David St. On the south-side, the route is extended from Hyvots Bank to the Royal Infirmary to partly replace withdrawn service N7.

Service N14

New service replacing Service N7. The service will operate from Muirhouse to Greendykes Road, as per the daytime route, but will extend to the Royal Infirmary, via Little France Drive, instead of Milligan Drive.

Service N16

Minor timetable changes with northbound buses diverted via London Rd and Easter Rd due to closure of Leith Walk for tram construction works.

Service N22

Revised timetable. Northbound journeys are diverted via London Rd and Easter Rd due to closure of Leith Walk for tram construction works.

Service N25

No changes.

Service N26

Minor timetable changes.

Service N30

Minor timetable changes.

Service N31

No changes.

Service N34

Withdrawn due to low customer usage.

Service N35

New service on all days of the week, operating 2 journeys from Ocean Terminal to Riccarton as per the daytime 35 route.

Service N37

Minor change to the last journey to Penicuik, which will now operate to Deanburn direct via Queensway.

Service N44

Revised timetable.

Service N49

New Sat/Sun morning service from Surgeons’ Hall to The Jewel via Lochend and Portobello. Northbound services will run via London Road and Easter Road, but return via the normal Leith Walk route.

For responses to Frequently Asked Questions, visit Service Change FAQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.