• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

Had quite a few of those on my buses in the last two weeks, some of them multiple times a day on the same route. About time something (hopefully) gets done about them as they're putting the people who actually need the service at higher risk.
Are you not able to refuse them travel on your bus? You said it yourself, that their behaviour could put a nurse at risk, or even yourself, if they are carrying covid-19. Only wish it were possible for LB to postpone their travel cards although that won't stop cash travel.

Stay safe out there though, and while I'm not out using buses full stop, thank you for keeping the city moving in these times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Will the B7TLs be included in that rotation or are they now completly removed from service?
The B7s will be needed once this ends as they dont have replacement but whether or not they’re using during the pandemic is a different question

Last edited by a moderator:

DunsBus

Established Member
Had quite a few of those on my buses in the last two weeks, some of them multiple times a day on the same route. About time something (hopefully) gets done about them as they're putting the people who actually need the service at higher risk.

I heard a story the other day about a couple of folk from Dunbar who were bored and just wanted to go out on some buses, so they did. This was the answer they gave to an Airlink driver when they boarded his bus and he asked where they were going.

Bored or not, it doesn't constitute essential travel. The lockdown is in force for a reason!

Hopefully that Airlink driver told them where to go... all the way back to Dunbar.

Auld reekie

I heard a story the other day about a couple of folk from Dunbar who were bored and just wanted to go out on some buses, so they did. This was the answer they gave to an Airlink driver when they boarded his bus and he asked where they were going.

Bored or not, it doesn't constitute essential travel. The lockdown is in force for a reason!

Hopefully that Airlink driver told them where to go... all the way back to Dunbar.
These people are *********.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Are you not able to refuse them travel on your bus? You said it yourself, that their behaviour could put a nurse at risk, or even yourself, if they are carrying covid-19. Only wish it were possible for LB to postpone their travel cards although that won't stop cash travel.

Stay safe out there though, and while I'm not out using buses full stop, thank you for keeping the city moving in these times.

Sadly no, bus drivers don't have any authority to enforce restrictions. Even if it's obvious their journey isn't essential they could cry wolf if refused travel.

OmniCity999

Established Member
So, hypothetically, could I buy a CountyPlus day ticket on a Lothian City bus on the 113 today?

What?

The buses that are running East Coast Buses routes are carrying East Coast Buses legals, the driver is from East Coast Buses. (Except on the rare occasion where we're a driver short. Other drivers are covering other depots.) The service is East Coast Buses. The bus is red. That's the only difference.

You can buy East Coast buses tickets on East Coast Buses routes. If a red bus is on an East Coast route, it will dispense East Coast products.

On Lothian Buses services - we sell some tickets which are valid on both East Coast buses and Lothian Country Buses, we always have. However, the full East Coast buses ticketing infrastructure is not available on Lothian services - it never has been.

Hypothetical. If I were covering a driver shift on a 113 and I got to chose what bus I wanted and say I chose a B8L and logged into the East Coast buses ticket system on a Lothian machine, it would work - I'd have full use of the East Coast buses infrastructure. The ticket machines are the same, its what they log onto that's different. Every machine has the capability but its programmed that when you out the service number in, it shows you what tickets you can sell.

Long and short, any time of the year if you're on a 16 in Edinburgh you can buy a network wide day ticket that allows you on Lothian, Airlink, Skylink, East Coast and Lothian Country. But you couldn't dispense an East Coast Buses CountyDay ticket on that service as you're on a Lothian service and that product is only available on the East Coast Buses infrastructure.

What?

The buses that are running East Coast Buses routes are carrying East Coast Buses legals, the driver is from East Coast Buses. (Except on the rare occasion where we're a driver short. Other drivers are covering other depots.) The service is East Coast Buses. The bus is red. That's the only difference.

You can buy East Coast buses tickets on East Coast Buses routes. If a red bus is on an East Coast route, it will dispense East Coast products.

On Lothian Buses services - we sell some tickets which are valid on both East Coast buses and Lothian Country Buses, we always have. However, the full East Coast buses ticketing infrastructure is not available on Lothian services - it never has been.

Hypothetical. If I were covering a driver shift on a 113 and I got to chose what bus I wanted and say I chose a B8L and logged into the East Coast buses ticket system on a Lothian machine, it would work - I'd have full use of the East Coast buses infrastructure. The ticket machines are the same, its what they log onto that's different. Every machine has the capability but its programmed that when you out the service number in, it shows you what tickets you can sell.

Long and short, any time of the year if you're on a 16 in Edinburgh you can buy a network wide day ticket that allows you on Lothian, Airlink, Skylink, East Coast and Lothian Country. But you couldn't dispense an East Coast Buses CountyDay ticket on that service as you're on a Lothian service and that product is only available on the East Coast Buses infrastructure.
Ah, I see.

In summary you're saying that across the entire fleet, available fares and tickets depend only on the route number and not the vehicle. The only inhibited tickets are those that could not be used on that particular service.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Ah, I see.

In summary you're saying that across the entire fleet, available fares and tickets depend only on the route number and not the vehicle. The only inhibited tickets are those that could not be used on that particular service.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Pretty much... thank you for sorting out my lack of vocabulary at this difficult time.

Essentially some East Coast & Lothian Country tickets (not all) can be bought through Lothian too. I'm not entirely sure of the ins and outs as I've only ever done some public service work for the company, and even then it was for the 98's.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Same case story with LCB with the CountryWest ticket, but CityWest and LothianWest can be bought on any Lothian city bus!

Actually on the topic, apologies if this sounds like I’m asking extra steps but in East Coast Buses city zone and county zone B? Are you able to purchase LCB CityWest and LothianWest tickets on ECB services? Since they both cover travel on the first two ECB zones and Lothian too

Weemidi135

Same case story with LCB with the CountryWest ticket, but CityWest and LothianWest can be bought on any Lothian city bus!

Actually on the topic, apologies if this sounds like I’m asking extra steps but in East Coast Buses city zone and county zone B? Are you able to purchase LCB CityWest and LothianWest tickets on ECB services? Since they both cover travel on the first two ECB zones and Lothian too

you can buy any valid ticket regardless of company from any driver within the group as long as it’s valid in that area

scotrail158713

Established Member
What?

Apologies - I worded my question wrongly :) I was more interested in the situation with contactless as currently you can only get an adult single by contactless with Lothian. However with ECB you can get the full range of tickets via contactless - so I was wondering how it would work with a Lothian bus on an ECB route.

Apologies - I worded my question wrongly :) I was more interested in the situation with contactless as currently you can only get an adult single by contactless with Lothian. However with ECB you can get the full range of tickets via contactless - so I was wondering how it would work with a Lothian bus on an ECB route.
Although not widely publicised I thought you could now buy any (valid) ticket using contactless across all the services, bringing red buses and the green 43 into alignment with the others. Weren't they talking about introducing some kind of 'retail mode' when using the card rather than capping alone?
I could be wrong though - I've never tried as I just used cash or capping back in the days of free movement beyond your doorstep.

scosutsut

In terms of the variation all the above has caused, Lothian 190 passed me on a Dunbar bound 106 when I was out for my daily exercise earlier.

scotrail158713

Established Member
In terms of the variation all the above has caused, Lothian 190 passed me on a Dunbar bound 106 when I was out for my daily exercise earlier.
446 passed me on a 113 to Pencaitland when I was out this morning - I think it’s been on the 113 for a couple of days now.

Does anyone have a list of all the destinations and numbers available on the roller-blind buses? If I remember correctly, from what I've seen, the number is three rows of 0-9 so the number 106 could be shown, I doubt Dunbar would be on the roller though?
Also are the roller displays the same for the singles and the deckers?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Does anyone have a list of all the destinations and numbers available on the roller-blind buses? If I remember correctly, from what I've seen, the number is three rows of 0-9 so the number 106 could be shown, I doubt Dunbar would be on the roller though?

I remember seeing a 113 back in 2017 at west Granton in the old LCB livery where it was rolling the destination blinds to Pencaitland,

I noticed Dunbar was a new addition along with North Berwick, Gifford, Aberlady, Longniddry and Macmerry, didn’t think they would have Gifford as Lothian/ECB don’t run out there! Some of the single deckers have those destinations too which I noticed on the 38 at the Royal Infirmary for example

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I think that's only on the buses with
the Bright Tech rollers, the Mobitec controlled ones have one roller with the complete number already fixed.

I'm not sure all the numbers are in there as I've had an '07 B7RLE that didn't have 63 on the number board. I believe the deckers are the same only they have the via board which is individually selected. Some of the buses have different destinations fitted - for example on the part route 20s some can't display Hermiston Gait while others can.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Although not widely publicised I thought you could now buy any (valid) ticket using contactless across all the services, bringing red buses and the green 43 into alignment with the others. Weren't they talking about introducing some kind of 'retail mode' when using the card rather than capping alone?
I could be wrong though - I've never tried as I just used cash or capping back in the days of free movement beyond your doorstep.

I don't think that's currently possible on city services, certainly not to my knowledge anyway.

I don't think that's currently possible on city services, certainly not to my knowledge anyway.
OK, thanks. You'll certainly know better than me. It was just what I'd heard.
Don't know when passengers might be buying family tickets and things like that again in any case....

Edirim

Check WhatDoTheyKnow website for Lothian Buses...been a few requests about what their roller screens/destination LEDs are capable of showing and to give Lothian credit, they have replied to those requests with the info.

Mal

I've just had a look through all the (136!) destinations on a roller blind for 2003 which I bought a while ago. I know it's out of date and can say Dunbar is not on there, though Peebles is!

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I've just had a look through all the (136!) destinations on a roller blind for 2003 which I bought a while ago. I know it's out of date and can say Dunbar is not on there, though Peebles is!

That’s another mystery, I know Peebles was once a part of Midlothian a long time ago, did Lothian used to run a service out there?

DunsBus

Established Member
That’s another mystery, I know Peebles was once a part of Midlothian a long time ago, did Lothian used to run a service out there?
Peebles has never been part of Midlothian, it has always been in the Borders. It featured on LRT screens for a time as I seem to recall this was for a tender which never materialised.

The communities among the Gala Water valley north of Galashiels - Stow, Fountainhall and Heriot - were, though, in Midlothian until 1975. This was due to them being in the diocese of St Andrews when the Scots took Lothian in 1018 and as they had more in common with the Border towns than with the rest of Midlothian, it made sense to make them officially part of the Borders at the 1975 boundary changes.

Graeme Duncan

Ever since I was small boy . I always had a passion of Edinburgh Buses past and present and as you well know we are currently experiencing a very strange period. Hopefully things will get back to normal only time will tell.
Once lockdown is lifted I wonder if the service changes scheduled to take effect from 29th of March will be delayed once normal service is resumed .

Status
Not open for further replies.