• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It went back to being full day in January 1987, following passenger complaints.
I wonder if they were the same people who complained last month, resulting in an hourly 19 being reinstated. I find it difficult to see justificaton given the seemigly large number of other bus services linking Western General and Pilton/Granton areas, like the 38, 106, 113 plus 8, 14 and 16 for other destinations. However there may be very good reasons.

The classic example was the old 82, which although was described as being a working day service on the timetable, for much of the nineties it finished at around 10pm on Mondays to Saturdays and ran on Sundays until the early evening.
I have a 1988 timetable for the 82/82A stating Full Day, but it's quite a messy service - Mon-Sat evenings (after 7 or 8pm) and Sunday daytime running hourly through Stockbridge to Muirhouse as an 82A, while Mon-Sat daytime running by West End and Blackhall to East Craigs half hourly as an 82. Seems rather complicated for areas that ought to be commercially viable. Maybe not surprising that passenger numbers dropped so sharply at that time, or at least I think they did.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
I wonder if they were the same people who complained last month, resulting in an hourly 19 being reinstated. I find it difficult to see justificaton given the seemigly large number of other bus services linking Western General and Pilton/Granton areas, like the 38, 106, 113 plus 8, 14 and 16 for other destinations. However there may be very good reasons.

I have a 1988 timetable for the 82/82A stating Full Day, but it's quite a messy service - Mon-Sat evenings (after 7 or 8pm) and Sunday daytime running hourly through Stockbridge to Muirhouse as an 82A, while Mon-Sat daytime running by West End and Blackhall to East Craigs half hourly as an 82. Seems rather complicated for areas that ought to be commercially viable. Maybe not surprising that passenger numbers dropped so sharply at that time, or at least I think they did.

Regarding the 19/39, the removal of its evening and Sunday service at deregulation meant there was no link from Boswall Parkway to the West End and Canonmills at these times. As I recall, it went back to being full day in January 1987 and at the same time, the 3 also became a full day service and extended to Mayfield to replace the 8. The 8, which had been extended to Mayfield at deregulation, then reverted to running between Silverknowes and Gilmerton and became a working day service.

The 82/82A timetable you've mentioned will be the one dating from November 1988 when the daytime service was extended from the West End to East Craigs, replacing the 80. The 82A had started earlier that year as a Sunday-only service, the 82 running full day on Mondays to Saturdays. When LRT withdrew the 82A in July 1992, this resulted in complaints from shift workers from the Rosewell and Bonnyrigg areas at the ERI who could use their Ridacard to get to work in the morning but not to get back home from work in the evening. This resulted in the 82 timetable then being revised, a few months later, to finish later at night on Mondays to Saturdays - as I recall, the last bus from Edinburgh was at 2015 and from Rosewell at 2105 - and a Sunday service reinstated on a 90-minute frequency between Rosewell and the city centre.

Graeme Duncan

About a few weeks ago I read that Lothian Buses had placed an order for 124 new vehicles this year . A sizable proportion being single decks I realise they will not enter for quite a long period due the current state of affairs .
Just out of curiosity what fleet numbers will be allocated to the single decks.

SpeedbirdA350

About a few weeks ago I read that Lothian Buses had placed an order for 124 new vehicles this year . A sizable proportion being single decks I realise they will not enter for quite a long period due the current state of affairs .
Just out of curiosity what fleet numbers will be allocated to the single decks.
As of this moment in time, 51-100 are free for singles. Lothian also have 511-550, the whole of the 600 range, and 700 range once the rest of the B7TLs depart, and then 1154 and beyond.

Within the above, there are the odd section too which COULD be used but those are the bulk.

Lothian COULD also renumber the fleet although I think that has a very remote chance of happening.

Graeme Duncan

Since 1999 when Lothian converted to platform entrance I was always curious which fleet numbers would be used . And so far the fleet numbers that have not been used are as follows 200,216,290,298-300,438-440,550and 961-984.
Supposing Lothian do renumber some buses would their be any likelihood that they would possibly plug those gaps.

DunsBus

Established Member
Since 1999 when Lothian converted to platform entrance I was always curious which fleet numbers would be used . And so far the fleet numbers that have not been used are as follows 200,216,290,298-300,438-440,550and 961-984.
Supposing Lothian do renumber some buses would their be any likelihood that they would possibly plug those gaps.

Almost all of these fleetnumbers have been used, if not by LB themselves then either by EBT or by LB's predecessors, LRT and ECT. The only fleetnumber to the best of my knowledge which has never appeared on an ECT, LRT or LB group bus is 984.

etetetetet

I'd love to weigh in on the arguments about the 18 plate Wright buses. I used the 8 last year when going to Granton College every day, once there once back. Of course, the 18 plates were almost always assigned to the 8, and nearly every day I'd be using one of the buses.

The build quality is awful. I attempt to get work done on the bus; but on the Wrightbuses it was so shaky you'd be lucky if you could focus. They did leak sometimes. And the noises coming from them are ridiculous at times. You can hear the thing struggling at any turn. It got to a point where I started using the 113 instead just to avoid them. They are borderline close to the worst buses I've ever rode; and I have been on bad buses. Thankfully, I don't use the 8 anymore and I stick to the 34.

TheManWho

Has this order been confirmed anywhere?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I'd love to weigh in on the arguments about the 18 plate Wright buses. I used the 8 last year when going to Granton College every day, once there once back. Of course, the 18 plates were almost always assigned to the 8, and nearly every day I'd be using one of the buses.

The build quality is awful. I attempt to get work done on the bus; but on the Wrightbuses it was so shaky you'd be lucky if you could focus. They did leak sometimes. And the noises coming from them are ridiculous at times. You can hear the thing struggling at any turn. It got to a point where I started using the 113 instead just to avoid them. They are borderline close to the worst buses I've ever rode; and I have been on bad buses. Thankfully, I don't use the 8 anymore and I stick to the 34.

Having driven E400 MMCs i'd definitely say the build quality on them is far superior to the newest Gemini 3s. The bodies on those seem incredibly light in comparison, when passengers are moving around upstairs it almost feels like there's just a thin piece of plywood between you and them!

When I worked in Cardiff we had the Scania N250UD/E400 MMC demo (now with borders buses) and i'd say that's the best chassis/body combination on a modern bus for me, obviously only from a driver's perspective.

As for old style E200s, those for me make the 2018 Gemini 3s look like a Bentley in comparison - especially with voith gearboxes!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Having driven E400 MMCs i'd definitely say the build quality on them is far superior to the newest Gemini 3s. The bodies on those seem incredibly light in comparison, when passengers are moving around upstairs it almost feels like there's just a thin piece of plywood between you and them!

When I worked in Cardiff we had the Scania N250UD/E400 MMC demo (now with borders buses) and i'd say that's the best chassis/body combination on a modern bus for me, obviously only from a driver's perspective.

As for old style E200s, those for me make the 2018 Gemini 3s look like a Bentley in comparison - especially with voith gearboxes!

Generally speaking the newer E400MMCs seem to be much nicer from my own experience. Certainly far better than the Gemini 3s, albeit some of the older E400MMCs can be quite rattly and sluggish.

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured Volvo/ADL order comes to fruition, especially with all that's going on just now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lothianbus703

I Heard something about branded E400 MMCs for the 44 in a connect branding i wonder if these would be the double doors ones or the single door ones?.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I Heard something about branded E400 MMCs for the 44 in a connect branding i wonder if these would be the double doors ones or the single door ones?.

Dual door Enviro Bodied B5TL & B5LH's as well as more B8L's due. Dual door is the new conpany spec so suspect this is how they would be delivered. Although route branding is out.

Scott mac

Generally speaking the newer E400MMCs seem to be much nicer from my own experience. Certainly far better than the Gemini 3s, albeit some of the older E400MMCs can be quite rattly and sluggish.

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured Volvo/ADL order comes to fruition, especially with all that's going on just now.
Agreed our 65 plate e400mmc in Glasgow are shocking but our 68 and 19 plate are much better for passengers and drivers

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Just a gentle reminder to stay on-topic, anyone who wishes to discuss the build quality of various buses are more than welcome to create a new thread on the topic.
Bungle :)

And yet everyone ignored this note :D

How is everyone doing anyway? Went for a walk today and noticed a few services looking a little more busier, the 2/4/106 for example looked packed for example

SpeedbirdA350

Plus discussing the build quality of the 18 plate Lothian have, is part of the Lothain Buses and ECB discussion. If it were a discussion about First Aberdeen build quality then okay, but it's not.

I was sure there was supposed to be B8Ls going to Longstone, in this coming batch but I guess time will tell if they all go to Marine or if it's split between both depots. However, I do wonder if the order will be delayed and by how much, but that depends on how long this is all going to last.

SpeedbirdA350

There is still B9TLs at Longstone, Central, Livi and Newbridge, so they are not ALL at Marine. I would assume that this is to keep them moving. If you keep any vehicle still for too long, it can cause problems. So moving them around helps with that, just like they did a few weeks ago when they moved some buses from Longstone to Central. It could be that some buses have been moved from Central to Marnie to make space for some Marine fleet to join Central for a bit, so they can be used, and the others in service removed for deep cleaning, maintanance etc...

CN04NRJ

Established Member
There is still B9TLs at Longstone, Central, Livi and Newbridge, so they are not ALL at Marine. I would assume that this is to keep them moving. If you keep any vehicle still for too long, it can cause problems. So moving them around helps with that, just like they did a few weeks ago when they moved some buses from Longstone to Central. It could be that some buses have been moved from Central to Marnie to make space for some Marine fleet to join Central for a bit, so they can be used, and the others in service removed for deep cleaning, maintanance etc...

Looking at this ( https://finlaysmith.co.uk/ ) it looks like a number of out of use 17 plate B5TLs (472 etc) from Marine are at Central, along with some of the 201-215 E400s. It's also showing 122/3, 131, 146/7, 161/4 there too.

SpeedbirdA350

Yeah, I think this is going to be a 3 weekly thing now, moving buses around the depots so they can all get a shot on the roads for a bit. Not that I am able to use any bus right now but I don't think many will miss 1051-1062 is they go to Marine lol.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Apparently 170 was sold off to NXWM?? I don't think thats the case, edinburgh transpot visualiser shows its at Longstone.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yeah, I think this is going to be a 3 weekly thing now, moving buses around the depots so they can all get a shot on the roads for a bit. Not that I am able to use any bus right now but I don't think many will miss 1051-1062 is they go to Marine lol.
tbh i dont mind 1051-1062 as much as others. i also wouldn’t be expecting any gemini 1s to be put into service during the swap about

Status
Not open for further replies.