• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsnews

If they're not MCV or ADL what would that leave? Wright would surely be completely out of the question too.
Just to feed peoples imagination there is the Sunsundegui SB3, even if it is marketed more as an interurban

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
is there any chance of seeing a fully ADL product in the future? such as a standard Enviro 200MMC or Enviro 400 MMC?

As has been mentioned here multiple times, the company wants to stick with Volvo. This allows commonality in maintenance teams and spare parts.

I cant see any more full ADL products or any other company. They want Volvo engines. They want commonality. The Volvo product is also seen as a more higher quality product. So we'll be sticking with it I reckon.

As I believe, It's also the thought with the body builder, the company wants to get to one body type in the fleet to allow for maintenance teams knowledge and spare parts to be of the highest standards.

Lothiangem22

Is it just me that’s hoping for a tri-axle single deck - there is one produced by ADL but currently only in the NZ market

OmniCity999

Established Member
Is it just me that’s hoping for a tri-axle single deck - there is one produced by ADL but currently only in the NZ market

Believe the Enviro 200 XLB is an integral product, so not Volvo.

Enviro 300 XLB bodied Volvo B8RLE's would be ideal. Dual door, more seats and more standees, ideal for the 30.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Optare? Haha

I'm led to believe its ADL and they'll have the same front end as the XLB's. I'm pretty sure it wont be MCV's as their build quality was shocking. We're also trying to build a relationship with ADL, who are willing to commission new products for us. Look at the XLB's and the Leopards, the were originally commissioned by us.

That's what I thought. A friend of mine who works for Stagecoach in South Wales seems to think they'll be getting ADL bodied B8RLEs late this year so there must be some truth in that body/chassis combination. Hopefully so, I really do like driving modern ADL products.

It's the same down there, they already have MCV bodied B8RLEs for TrawsCymru work but the bodies are woeful.

Lothiangem22

I guess time will tell what is on order though believe you may be onto something with the ongoing capacity issues on the 30.
lothian and adl done well to keep the 400xlb reasonably quiet until they were almost ready for delivery so definitely can’t rule out a new product.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Believe the Enviro 200 XLB is an integral product, so not Volvo.

Enviro 300 XLB bodied Volvo B8RLE's would be ideal. Dual door, more seats and more standees, ideal for the 30.

Just for reference (although it's somewhat irrelevant). If B8RLEs were to be made they'd still be sold as Enviro200XLBs, much in the same way that a Scania N250UD is still sold as a E400MMC or the BYD electrics are sold as E200MMCs.

Optare? Haha

If Lothian bought Optares they'd probably be waiting until the 2030s before they got delivered. :lol:
Jokes aside Optare don't body other manufactures chassis anymore, they only do integral monocoque products.

It's the same down there, they already have MCV bodied B8RLEs for TrawsCymru work but the bodies are woeful.

To be honest just looking at them you can tell they're a bit of a pig and done on the cheap. They lack the stylistic finesse both internally and externally of ADLs products. Certainly to me this is part of what sets ADL ahead of most other body builders when it comes to looks.

Just so long as Lothian don't buy any E400Citys, despite being good looking buses, from what i've seen the interior quality especially on the upper deck is poor with a number of parts that don't properly fit.

cainebj

Established Member
Just for reference (although it's somewhat irrelevant). If B8RLEs were to be made they'd still be sold as Enviro200XLBs, much in the same way that a Scania N250UD is still sold as a E400MMC or the BYD electrics are sold as E200MMCs.

The difference there is the E200 and BYD chassis' are both "midi" buses with the same width so they can use the same jigs/fibreglass domes. If an ADL bodied B8RLE does come into fruition it'd be built to the Volvo standard 2.55m width, the same as the E300 was, it could be entirely possible to see an E300MMC name. Obviously with the E400MMC the width of the "Trident", Volvo and Scania chassis' were the same, only needing to modify the length to suit.

We'll just have to wait and see!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The difference there is the E200 and BYD chassis' are both "midi" buses with the same width so they can use the same jigs/fibreglass domes. If an ADL bodied B8RLE does come into fruition it'd be built to the Volvo standard 2.55m width, the same as the E300 was, it could be entirely possible to see an E300MMC name. Obviously with the E400MMC the width of the "Trident", Volvo and Scania chassis' were the same, only needing to modify the length to suit.

We'll just have to wait and see!

Even then i'd suspect it would still be sold as a E200 variation (Much like how the E400XLB despite being Tri-axle is not a E500). The differing width is a good point though and would explain the reasoning for the E400MMC style front. You are right we will have to wait and see.

overthewater

Established Member
I would LOVE to know how Lothian are going ahead with this order when everyone else is putting such orders on hold?

CM

I would LOVE to know how Lothian are going ahead with this order when everyone else is putting such orders on hold?

It's more likley that the order has already been placed but production hasn't started yet due to ADL being shut for obvious reasons. Once ADL resumes production then vehicles will start to appear.

OmniCity999

Established Member

The order has already been processed, contracts signed. Much like Stagecoach, this could still be cancelled. The fact their going ahead to me says they have commissioned a new / heavily modified body type and ADL have made new tooling and infrastructure for this.

The company is also progressing forward with its dramatic cuts in CO2, so new vehicles will need to be delivered to comply with their own views.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
And of course the delivery timescale and design life of any new members of the fleet will well exceed any plausible time for Covid effects to fade away. The city is still shifting towards higher density and greater usage of public transport. It simply isn't possible for people to start driving everywhere in private vehicles. If road space ends up re-assigned to active transport, then the limited road space remaining will require even more public transport and less private vehicle use in order to move the same number of people around the city.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Service changes from the 17th, I understand the service is being increased.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
makes sense as more people are going out eventhough lockdown is still in place

What services will be making a come back this time? I’m assuming this will include ECB/LCB too

My guesses that X15, X38, 47, 200 & 300 will make a return in some form of fashion.

-X15 to help take the numbers off the 11 between morningside and buckstone

-X38 for residents in kirkliston so they have an alternative for the 63 and (X38...)

-47 is just a gut feeling as Penicuik has only got the 37 right now

-200 will run Ocean Terminal to Gyle Centre turning at Gogar Roundabout

-300 will run Gyle Centre to Royal Infirmary extending from Cameron Toll down old Dalkeith road

And some revisions on key services like 11/21/30/33/38/49/400 etc

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Whenever things do go back to normal in god knows how long time though, i wonder if the proposed March changes will still go forward as planned. Like the 15 back to Portobello or the N14/N35/N49 being introduced! Or the X17/X18 serving gogarburn and serving all the stops in Maybury

overthewater

Established Member
I doubt ANY improvements to the Lothian Country buses routes at this time, are you really going to chase after passengers?

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
Some of the March changes have already happened by default, with the 1 running to Seafield and the withdrawal (albeit earlier than planned) of the 6 and 69.

ALADOU47

As we are all working out of Central we are going onto one rota which means we could be doing all three garage routes. This is as of 17 th May

Edirim

When drivers volunteered to drive during this period, some were transferred temporarily/are on loan to other parts of the family so Tours/LCB drivers are working for ECB among other examples.
For City routes, drivers from any city depot can, and are, already driving routes from the other city depots so the idea they can drive any City route is not a new thing - it has been in action since the start of the critical timetable.

Graeme Duncan

I have noticed since the 1st of May that 401-425 have been operating the 11 route . Any particular reason for this.

A330Alex

The council has come out with some big plans for temporary measures in the city, lots on walking/cycling but also quite a few new proposed bus gates, new bus lanes on the A90 and extending bus lane hours: https://democracy.edinburgh.gov.uk/...ating Safe Spaces for Walking and Cycling.pdf

General idea is to allow buses to operate at a high frequency to give space for social distancing as well as reducing general traffic to help buses and those walking/cycling.

overthewater

Established Member
They have been promising a new bus lane on the A90 for 20 years.. and made further promise when Lothian took over the no43 so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Bus gate for Bank street and Market street was always planned, Rest of the changes in the same location were also on the book. Personnel they should also put in a bus gate Queensferry Street and Meliville street plus on Lothian road with Princess street.

Status
Not open for further replies.