• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunsBus

Established Member
They have been promising a new bus lane on the A90 for 20 years.. and made further promise when Lothian took over the no43 so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Bus gate for Bank street and Market street was always planned, Rest of the changes in the same location were also on the book. Personnel they should also put in a bus gate Queensferry Street and Meliville street plus on Lothian road with Princess street.

Queensferry Street already has a bus gate, where it meets Princes Street and Shandwick Place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
It needs to be moved further north.

That would not work as you've got two side streets (Queensferry Street Lane and Alva Street) plus the link into Charlotte Square served from Queensferry Street, and the exit from Charlotte Lane as well. Move the bus gate north and suddenly all of these streets are cut off.

overthewater

Established Member
Yet it used to be like that.

Sods the car drivers this us why Edinburgh is a complete mess. Its why bank street and market st is getting bus gates

OmniCity999

Established Member
I think something like this could work.

Every red line would be the start to the public transport (buses, trams, bikes and taxis) only zone (Private hire cars would pay a surcharge). Any residents in the area would receive either a device or sticker.

The system would work like a quickpass toll bridge, the stickers (or devices) would be scanned by cameras, allowing residents who live in the area, to travel freely with their car. Costs for passes could be interworked with the parking permit scheme. Commercial vehicles would be allowed to pass freely at certain hours.

The immediate area outside the Public Transport area could be turned into a congestion zone area.

It's not the best of ideas, but something needs to be done...

Attachments

• EDI PTZ.png
    EDI PTZ.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 78

CM

I think something like this could work.

Every red line would be the start to the public transport (buses, trams, bikes and taxis) only zone (Private hire cars would pay a surcharge). Any residents in the area would receive either a device or sticker.

The system would work like a quickpass toll bridge, the stickers (or devices) would be scanned by cameras, allowing residents who live in the area, to travel freely with their car. Costs for passes could be interworked with the parking permit scheme. Commercial vehicles would be allowed to pass freely at certain hours.

The immediate area outside the Public Transport area could be turned into a congestion zone area.

It's not the best of ideas, but something needs to be done...

Why would Private Hire cars need to pay a surcharge? They are still technically taxis and should be able to go through Bus Gates just like any other taxi.

SpeedbirdA350

So Lothian have now given an update.

Service 3
Revised timetable with additional journeys from Mayfield in the early morning, Monday to Friday.

Service 4
Route extended to operate between Asda The Jewel to Oxgangs every hour. Buses will turn at Oxgangs Bank (just before the library).

Service 16
Frequency increased to every 15 minutes between Silverknowes and Morningside Monday to Saturday daytime. Between Morningside and Torphin at 30 minutes frequency will continue to operate. Some journeys will terminate at Morningside operating a loop via Morningside Drive, Craighouse Road, Craighouse Gardens, and Balcarres Street.

Service 19
Revised timetable with all journeys operating to and from Leith St

Service 21
Revised timetable with additional journeys. Route extended from Westside Plaza to Clovenstone Roundabout.

Service 30
Frequency improved from every 30mins to every 20mins on Monday to Saturday daytime.

Service 37/47
Revised timetable with most Monday to Friday service 37 buses now serving Deanburn (except a few early morning and late evening journeys which will continue to serve Ladywood).

Introduction of hourly service 47 from Penicuik Ladywood to Granton Harbour, Monday to Friday to provide additional links to Straiton, to the NHS sites at Lauriston Place, the Western General Hospital and a service for residents of Granton Harbour/Waterfront Avenue.

Service 41
On Mondays to Saturdays the last evening return journey to Cramond is withdrawn. The Sunday service is also withdrawn.

Service 44
Minor timetable changes on Monday to Saturday. Sunday frequency improved from every hour to every 45 minutes

Minor timetable changes: 1, 7, 11, 14, 22, 25, 26, 27, 31, 33, 34, 38, 48, 63.

No changes to services 5, 8, 20, 24, 29, 35, 49, 100.

East Coast Buses
network changes include: (download here)

Service 106
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency increased to every 30mins Edinburgh to Haddington, with the hourly service to/from Dunbar maintained.

Service 113
Revised timetable introduced to coordinate with Service 106. Last journey from Edinburgh & Pencaitland withdrawn.

Service 124
Revised timetable introduced, including an additional morning peak journey from Longniddry to Edinburgh on Mondays to Saturdays.

Service 139
On Saturdays, the last evening return journey is withdrawn.

Service 140
No change.

Lothian Country network changes include: (download here)

Service X18
Minor timetable changes on all days of the week, including a new Journey introduced from Whitburn to Edinburgh on Mondays to Saturdays at 07:52

Service X27
Revised timetable on all days of the week

Service X28
Revised timetable on all days of the week, including a new earlier morning journey from Livingston Bus Terminal to Bathgate and a later Sunday evening journey from Edinburgh to Bathgate. On all days of the week, the last evening journey from Edinburgh which currently terminates at Deans North will extend to Bathgate.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
So Lothina have now given an update.

Okay some thoughts

4 extending to Oxgangs is good as I know it would be easier to get to places like Slateford for ASDA directly instead of more than one buses

16 running part route to a morningside on most journeys is also good, surprised they are not running direct via Balcarres street but I suppose this way they are covering areas served by the 36

21 extending to clovenstone I’m surprised that didn’t happen to begin with,

30 getting a frequency increase is also a positive since I know it’s still the busiest route and doesn’t help that it’s a single decker

106 getting part route Haddington runs is a good sign, might mean we will get doubles on that service to help space out folk

113- I mean did anyone use the 1am Pencaitland-Musselburgh run anyway?

i don't know if this is any use but Edinburgh transport visuliser has showing that 778 and 734 are near the front of marine garage dk if its a glitch because I thought they had been sold

SpeedbirdA350

i don't know if this is any use but Edinburgh transport visuliser has showing that 778 and 734 are near the front of marine garage dk if its a glitch because I thought they had been sold
I suspect it is a glitch as 778 as far as I know went to Moffat & williamson, and 734 was last seen in "sale" condition parked up at Marine (not sure if it has been sold or still sitting there today). I would assume both would have had their trackers removed though.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I suspect it is a glitch as 778 as far as I know went to Moffat & williamson, and 734 was last seen in "sale" condition parked up at Marine (not sure if it has been sold or still sitting there today). I would assume both would have had their trackers removed though.

The trackers from said vehicles have been left on in an office.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
778 was sold to Moffat & williamson as said and are believed to be up for sale now their work there is done, 734 went to the Green bus but was sold from there to Dews, somersham. when it comes to withdrawn vehicles or in fact any vehicles that arent in service theres no point in using etv because 9/10 times its wrong

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Obviously not a very informed one lol
dont know if you were on the forum back then but i know some others here were and im thinking it could be this guy :lol:
Wanted to reply/update re my posts a few weeks ago after hitting my head on the ceiling (lower deck rear) on one of Edinburgh's twin rear axle buses. I am just over 6' tall and on stepping up the high step at the back of the bus I clouted my head on the ceiling, hurting my neck more than anything.

I have pursued Lothian Buses to the best of my ability, stating from the off the design is seriously flawed. To my surprise they (verbally) admitted knowing of the problem (the driver of my bus on the day also said to me he had done the same) but in relation to any compensation from them they appear to see themselves as teflon coated because the buses passed conformity type tests.

I genuinely feel there has been mistakes made if this design was deemed perfectly acceptable. Bottom line is that there isn't any extra head height above the step up at the rear these buses have.

I am presently considering my options regarding taking the matter further. It was slightly disappointing no one here seemed to know of the problem. As I say, my driver and indeed LB themselves actually seem aware. If anyone has any input or advice please share! Thank you.

OmniCity999

Established Member
dont know if you were on the forum back then but i know some others here were and im thinking it could be this guy :lol:

What has your second quote got to do with the B7's being withdrawn?

Currently a lot of our busses are in "Covid induced" reserve, including B5TL's, B5LH's, B7TL's, B7RLE's, B8RLE's, B8L's and B9TL's...

As we gradually inflate service, i can see us using every vehicle we have to run the service, including the B7's, in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if we see Motorcoaches running services. We may even see "withdrawn/for sale" and heritage buses (tridents) return to service to allow correct social distancing.

Remember, bus builders have been closed, any deliveries will be severely delayed.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Currently a lot of our busses are in "Covid induced" reserve, including B5TL's, B5LH's, B7TL's, B7RLE's, B8RLE's, B8L's and B9TL's...

As we gradually inflate service, i can see us using every vehicle we have to run the service, including the B7's, in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if we see Motorcoaches running services. We may even see "withdrawn/for sale" and heritage buses (tridents) return to service to allow correct social distancing.

Remember, bus builders have been closed, any deliveries will be severely delayed.
the second quote was the guy who kept hitting his head on the back of XLBs and i was implying that his knocks on the head would make him suggest something as stupid as all the B7TLs being withdrawn now

scotrail158713

Established Member
the second quote was the guy who kept hitting his head on the back of XLBs and i was implying that his knocks on the head would make him suggest something as stupid as all the B7TLs being withdrawn now
:) Those were certainly a fun couple of pages in this thread

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Is it more likely than not that the service will return to pre-lockdown levels? I certainly hope it will, though obviously things won't be quite the same for some time.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the head-bumping incident was some time ago, I think we should draw a line under it and move on.

scosutsut

Do we know if any paintwork is being undertaken at the moment, would be a great opportunity to get the rest of the euro5/6 elements of the fleet into FOTF, if that is still the livery that is!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Do we know if any paintwork is being undertaken at the moment, would be a great opportunity to get the rest of the euro5/6 elements of the fleet into FOTF, if that is still the livery that is!
none, 397 & 398 have been at Grangemouth for about 2 months now.

According to the Lothian Vehicle Finder, bus 1094 has been working the Tram route today (https://lvf.io/#LRT|History 1094) (I've attached a screenshot from earlier on as well, in case the website changes; see the fourth row from the bottom). I assume this is just a case of one of the trackers malfunctioning? Or has 1094 actually been working the tram route* today?
*Obviously the roads adjacent to the route, stopping at the nearest bus stop to each tram stop - although the idea of an XLB being driven along the tram tracks is entertaining! :lol:

Attachments

• 20200516_235958.jpg
    20200516_235958.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.