• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
According to the Lothian Vehicle Finder, bus 1094 has been working the Tram route today (https://lvf.io/#LRT|History 1094) (I've attached a screenshot from earlier on as well, in case the website changes; see the fourth row from the bottom). I assume this is just a case of one of the trackers malfunctioning? Or has 1094 actually been working the tram route* today?
*Obviously the roads adjacent to the route, stopping at the nearest bus stop to each tram stop - although the idea of an XLB being driven along the tram tracks is entertaining! :lol:

I think i saw a photo somewhere of one of the XLBs with train wheels passing Edinburgh Park. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Speaking of XLB’s I’ve noticed 1116 has apparently not been out since February, anyone know if it’s a broken AVL or long term maintenance?

A handful of buses seem to have been repositioned for the changes, 453-455 look to have ended up at Musselburgh. 34, 35 and 50 appear to be working from Central now as well.

Guessing any other additional workings will be made up by using the existing buses that don’t always get out (B5TL’s etc).

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Speaking of XLB’s I’ve noticed 1116 has apparently not been out since February, anyone know if it’s a broken AVL or long term maintenance?

A handful of buses seem to have been repositioned for the changes, 453-455 look to have ended up at Musselburgh. 34, 35 and 50 appear to be working from Central now as well.

Guessing any other additional workings will be made up by using the existing buses that don’t always get out (B5TL’s etc).
1116 was rear ended on york place by a coach hence why its off the road

OmniCity999

Established Member

Throughout the lockdown theres been a few B8Ls off the road. Everythings just being rotated. Although 1116 was rear ended.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Some of the 47-s are also out as of yesterday. Not sure if there's anything else, some of the 40-/41 B5TLs are appearing on Edinburgh Transport Visualiser as back at Longstone but I'm not sure how accurate that website is. It shows 825 at Central for example but it's definitely parked at Longstone.

Would be nice to see some of the B9TLs back out again though!

OmniCity999

Established Member
Some of the 47-s are also out as of yesterday. Not sure if there's anything else, some of the 40-/41 B5TLs are appearing on Edinburgh Transport Visualiser as back at Longstone but I'm not sure how accurate that website is. It shows 825 at Central for example but it's definitely parked at Longstone.

The tracking system we use is very antiquated in comparison to others. Sometimes if a vehicle is switched off at one depot then driven to another, the tracker remains at the previous location. Central is also where the tracker workshop is so 826 may have had its tracker removed for some reason.

The website and tracking services are extremely accurate, they are considered as the best as they come, however if you're using out of date hardware on the vehicles themselves and around the city, the tracking system itself is only as good as the hardware used.

Update the hardware, the software will show the correct information.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The tracking system we use is very antiquated in comparison to others. Sometimes if a vehicle is switched off at one depot then driven to another, the tracker remains at the previous location. Central is also where the tracker workshop is so 826 may have had its tracker removed for some reason.

The website and tracking services are extremely accurate, they are considered as the best as they come, however if you're using out of date hardware on the vehicles themselves and around the city, the tracking system itself is only as good as the hardware used.

Update the hardware, the software will show the correct information.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I was wondering why there was sometimes discrepancies between tracking websites and reality.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Since the 4 has been extended and the old Oxgangs Terminus is being brought back. Does anyone know if the XLB’s can manage the turn at Oxgangs Bank properly? :D

Is anyone able to supply a list of all the batches of vehicles which have previously been used on the Airlink 100 (along with which ones had tables installed)?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Is anyone able to supply a list of all the batches of vehicles which have previously been used on the Airlink 100 (along with which ones had tables installed)?

426-437, now split between being Skylink branded and main fleet branded, were the last batch to have tables, which were removed during their refresh.

Attached is my friends fleet list which details ex Airlink vehicles.

Quick Breakdown:

426, 428 - 430 - were repainted and internally refreshed into regular fleet colours. Gaining bandit screens too.They also gained the info screens in the upper deck front window.
427 - remained with Airlink for longer. it eventually got repainted and kept its luggage racks and tables, but had new seat fabrics. Gaining bandit screens too. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window. I believe it has since lost its tables.
431 - 437 - internally refreshed and joining Skylink in their colours, gaining bandit screens. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window.
496 - 510 - were rebranded as Skylink and kept their Airlink interiors.
571 - 578 - (Skylink) were repainted into Lothian Country colours but kept their small racks.
579 - 590 - (Skylink) were repainted into fleet colours and kept their small racks.
937 - 950 - were repainted and internally refreshed including new floors and seat coverings, keeping their tables and gaining bandit screens - transferred to the earlier incarnation of Lothian Country Buses, then becoming East Coast Buses, then renumbered 20937-20950, 20942, currently off road due to serious altercation with bridge. They soon lost their bandit screens, but keeping their cloud ceilings.
985 - 999 - repainted into Lothian Buses colours, losing their tables, but retaining their real leather seats and luggage racks. Gaining bandit screens too. Since all sold. 989 caught alight after refrub and was taken out of service in 2012, but returned in 2016, having lost its coach seats and luggage racks, being sold a short while later.

I'm sure someone else can help with the Tridents and previous

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
some of the F regs, 541-545 (V Reg), 601-605 (51 Reg), 662-666 (04 Reg), 985-999 (57/06 reg), 937-940 (10 Reg), 426-427 (15 reg), 496-510 (17 reg), 1126-1140 (19 reg)
believe the 51/04 reg tridents, 10 plate B9s and 15 plate B5s were the only ones with tables. the 10 reg B9s and 427 still retain their tables

ScotRail158725

Established Member
426-437, now split between being Skylink branded and main fleet branded, were the last batch to have tables, which were removed during their refresh.

Attached is my friends fleet list which details ex Airlink vehicles.

Quick Breakdown:

426, 428 - 430 - were repainted and internally refreshed into regular fleet colours. Gaining bandit screens too.They also gained the info screens in the upper deck front window.
427 - remained with Airlink for longer. it eventually got repainted and kept its luggage racks and tables, but had new seat fabrics. Gaining bandit screens too. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window. I believe it has since lost its tables.
431 - 437 - internally refreshed and joining Skylink in their colours, gaining bandit screens. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window.
496 - 510 - were rebranded as Skylink and kept their Airlink interiors.
571 - 578 - (Skylink) were repainted into Lothian Country colours but kept their small racks.
579 - 590 - (Skylink) were repainted into fleet colours and kept their small racks.
937 - 950 - were repainted and internally refreshed including new floors and seat coverings, keeping their tables and gaining bandit screens - transferred to the earlier incarnation of Lothian Country Buses, then becoming East Coast Buses, then renumbered 20937-20950, 20942, currently off road due to serious altercation with bridge. They soon lost their tables and bandit screens, but keeping their cloud ceilings.
985 - 999 - repainted into Lothian Buses colours, losing their tables, but retaining their real leather seats and luggage racks. Gaining bandit screens too. Since all sold. 989 caught alight after refrub and was taken out of service in 2012, but returned in 2016, having lost its coach seats and luggage racks, being sold a short while later.

I'm sure someone else can help with the Tridents and previous
the ECB B9s still have their tables

DunsBus

Established Member
some of the F regs, 541-545 (V Reg), 601-605 (51 Reg), 662-666 (04 Reg), 985-999 (57/06 reg), 937-940 (10 Reg), 426-427 (15 reg), 496-510 (17 reg), 1126-1140 (19 reg)
believe the 51/04 reg tridents, 10 plate B9s and 15 plate B5s were the only ones with tables. the 10 reg B9s and 427 still retain their tables

The F-reg Olympian coaches didn't get the tables until later in their lives - around 2000.

OmniCity999

Established Member
This was going to be my next question, why were the tables removed from all the vehicles going to City, and some going to East Coast, but not all?
Because their non standard in the fleet basically.

If one is broken, we dont stock any in spares to replace so the bus would have to be off the road for a longer period of time. Hence why some in East Coast have been removed. One was damaged so they were both just removed. Their non-essential.

The key is to have standardised fleet. The view is either very bus has them or none of them does. The ones that have them will only have them until their damaged and removed.

Graeme Duncan

Tridents 629-633 53 Reg previously 657-661 were also used on the airlink as were 539-540 V Reg plus 546-549 W Reg.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
421 is now at Central, only seen that one there in person and according to the tracker there's some other Longstone buses there too (13 and 32). Guessing there might be another rotation soon?

OmniCity999

Established Member
421 is now at Central, only seen that one there in person and according to the tracker there's some other Longstone buses there too (13 and 32). Guessing there might be another rotation soon?

Believe it's just "rolling" rotations now, buses being swapped out as and when.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Do you know if there's any plans to put the B9TLs into the rotation, either soon or at the next service change?

Not that im aware of. Believe the idea is to have the newest vehicles out, down to emissions. If the Euro 6 fleet is out it looks good on the company.

It's also a case of breakdowns, im not necessarily saying its correct, but from the view point of line managers having the newest out means theres less chance of a breakdown. Less chance of a breakdown means less chance of calling recovery or having extra staff in for maintenance or heavy engineering.

It's a sound idea, but any vehicle can breakdown, even brand new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.