• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'm intrigued, what is it that makes them less suitable?

The Leopard is designed for local hire / schools, they're not designed for long distance work. The Volvo B8R chassis only has a 7.6L engine, putting them on longer distance routes will kill them fast. Stagecoach found this out the hard way 15 years ago when they bought large numbers of B7R/Profiles (the predecessor to the Leopard) for Bluebird, within a couple of years many of them were already having mechanical issues and through their life they had a number of fires, pretty much for every 10 B7Rs in the fleet at least 1 caught fire. Of the 71 new to Bluebird only 2 remain in the fleet, one of them was withdrawn in early 2017 just before it's 8th Birthday.

The B7R/Profile and B8R/Leopard are good products, but they're built for a certain role and that role is not long distance express coach routes. Stagecoach learned their lesson and as such recent coach orders have been for Panthers/Elites which are far better suited to the work.

scosutsut

The Leopard is designed for local hire / schools, they're not designed for long distance work. The Volvo B8R chassis only has a 7.6L engine, putting them on longer distance routes will kill them fast. Stagecoach found this out the hard way 15 years ago when they bought large numbers of B7R/Profiles (the predecessor to the Leopard) for Bluebird, within a couple of years many of them were already having mechanical issues and through their life they had a number of fires, pretty much for every 10 B7Rs in the fleet at least 1 caught fire. Of the 71 new to Bluebird only 2 remain in the fleet, one of them was withdrawn in early 2017 just before it's 8th Birthday.

The B7R/Profile and B8R/Leopard are good products, but they're built for a certain role and that role is not long distance express coach routes. Stagecoach learned their lesson and as such recent coach orders have been for Panthers/Elites which are far better suited to the work.

Gotcha, I wasn't aware of the mechanical difference thanks for explaining!

buslad1988

Positive sign to see Lothian Motorcoaches have resumed their day trips. First one went yesterday.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
How imminent is imminently? Excited to see what they are (and don't expect any answers here as I imagine it's top level state secret stuff lol). My guess would be September for 70 plates?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Oooh! So the treble-bendy double decks for the 36 have finally arrived!?

[/sarcasm]

Just seen them parked at Longstone - they're quad articulated Wright Streetairs. They've made one, albeit long, good one out of 284-289

awsnews

5 X Vanhool bodied Volvo's also departed Lothian today for Tyrers, not the "heritage" one. With talk of some Gemini Bodied B7's joining.

Images and videos available on Social Media of them leaving Marine.

That's the vast amount of wheelchair accessible vehicles from Lothian Motorcoaches gone.

5 X (used) Panther 3's in ADL storage down south destined for Lothian apparently. All short wheelbase.
2 more of the coaches are advertised here:
Has the Plaxton already gone as well?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Did it turn a wheel in actual service? It always seemed way out of alignment to the rest of the MC fleet. I don't recall ever seeing it get "papped" anywhere but the depot!
Yeah it had been out quite regularly, generally around town though.

When it wasnt on hire, it was often used to shuttle staff around, specifically when large numbers of vehicles were to be moved depot.

scosutsut

Yeah it had been out quite regularly, generally around town though.

When it wasnt on hire, it was often used to shuttle staff around, specifically when large numbers of vehicles were to be moved depot.
Fair enough not sexy enough to be photoed perhaps or I missed them all! Looks smart for its age to be fair!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
From what i'd seen, people generally only really take photos of the new-to-Lothian stock.
the same happened with the Ex Londoners, they came up and were snapped a lot in their first few days but since photos are few and far between

CN04NRJ

Established Member
the same happened with the Ex Londoners, they came up and were snapped a lot in their first few days but since photos are few and far between

Welcome to check out my Flickr, that's all I seem to be driving lately (not that i'm complaning - they're lovely).

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Welcome to check out my Flickr, that's all I seem to be driving lately (not that i'm complaning - they're lovely).

aye mate i already follow you, some good shots there. i prefer the Ex London B9s to the native B9s because the ZF sounds better than voith (on a B9TL, B7TLs are better with Voith)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I've actually heard that a batch of 50 articulated Optare Metrocitys, painted in Harlequin, have been delivered 6 months ahead of schedule! </sarcasm>

Going to take wild guess, if we're to be surprised as Omnicity99 says - Mercedes Citaros?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looks like one of the Leopards got in to a spot of bother...

Breakdown Broken down bus is partially blocking the Hermiston Gait Roundabout Police and TRISS are en route Traffic is slow on approach from the #M8#DriveSafe #ApproachWithCare
Eez7yQ4XsAAeZXk

Status
Not open for further replies.