• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbus1991

Personally, I find ADL to be less comfortable, but that might be down to the seat on first rather than ADL itself. Speed however is most important to me.

They were never 12 hour before. We had 3 different types of bus lane here. Either 24hr (rare), All day Mon - Fri 7:30am-6:30pm and Sat 8:30am - 6:30pm and then peak Mon - Fri 7:30am - 9:30am and 4pm - 6:30pm but the new rule going in place will be 7am-7pm- 7 days a week. 7/7/7 easy to remember for people.
As for when this happens, I don't think a date has been agreed upon yet.

West Approach Road is far quicker as it's 40mph most of the way with just stops at Sainsburys, Fountainpark, and the Exchange at Lothian Road. Bus lane also runs towards the city anyway on WAR for part of it too.
I reckon 12hr bus lanes is the next logical way to keep bus lanes more free, more of the time. Alot won’t be happy with it sure!

Lothian’s B5TL’s if you sit on the upperdecks is less squeaky and noisy than you’d find on one of First’s Enviro’s, I’ve never travelled on any of FSE ones but FiG’s are speaky as hell on the upperdeck!

I suppose, as long as it wasnt Gorgie or Haymarket you wanted but princes street your quicker using Lothian Country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I reckon the 275 is a good concept of service, particularly as you can also use the tram to the city centre from the gyle, a benefit that First miss out on.

It is, though with the X18 on the way I reckon most folk will probably transfer bus from Broxburn or Ratho to continue to the city and vice versa. maybe the timetable will work a 15 minute frequency between Uphall and Gogarburn to make travel easy peasy for both services.

Usually I tend to take the X27/X28 even just as far as Sighthill to avoid the traffic in Gorgie, I think using West Approach Road was a smart move. at night it takes around under 15 minutes to get to princess street. I’m glad Lothian Country are making their Edinburgh to West Lothian services all express services.

What’s the update on the Newbridge Depot btw? anyone know?

In Focus

Yeah as far as I’m led to believe edinburgh CC are a 90% shareholder, with the remaining 10 divided amongst, East, Mid and West Lothian councils.

Tax Money is what pays for your emergency services, your bins to be emptied, not every kid has wealthy parents to send them to private schools, Tax pays for everything local or country wide, its called a “public bus service” service(concession cards are a massive example of where tax money goes), Needless to say many times over and over again, over many years first and stagecoach were very aggressive in there tactics and take in tax payers money everyday, who can blame Lothian for attempting a better service, East Coast Buses is by far a great example of Lothians Success, if there managers feel that its the right, next logical step, then fair be it all bus companys are just the same in many respects.

Simples, would you rather be greated with a Friendly-Hello or a grumpy fart bag who could’nt be bothered to move out of his seat to help people! One area first lack is customer or employee involvement, I can say beyond a shadow of any doubt First group would come out one of the worst for its customer service.

Funds where it is required? Compare Lothians Fleet to First Glasgows Fleet and you soon get the picture of how First think in terms of requirement(or lack thereof)! In an industry that constantly endures falling pax numbers Lothian have constantly put that into perspective and kept there fleet as Clean as possible, on-time, relatively new and cheap...we are talking £1.70, musselburgh to clovenstone, the equivalent journey with FiG would cost £2.30.

The fares arent massively different I agree, comparing Glsgw and Ednrgh, put into plain terms, people get more for there money with Lothian than first can really muster, against my own views its a pitty lothian havent undercut First on Weekly tickets and of course lothian still havent got Contactless fares on the go city wide yet! Something most others had well over a year ago!
How strange then LCB hired so may ex first drivers you know those "grumpy fart bags" lol you really have gotten the PR bug bad fella if you believe every driver in 1 conpany is Snow white and every driver in other companies is big bad wolf .....at least try and keep it real .

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

LiviCrazy

How strange then LCB hired so may ex first drivers you know those "grumpy fart bags" lol you really have gotten the PR bug bad fella if you believe every driver in 1 conpany is Snow white and every driver in other companies is big bad wolf .....at least try and keep it real .
I agree. You know over the years I’ve always found First drivers helpful. Regularly I’ve been running for a bus and they either stop and wait or stop where I am. They will also be flexible, if stuck in traffic they will let you off at the kerb (they do this regularly near Heriot Watt in the morning). Lothian on the other hand are so inflexible at bus stops. They won’t load up if they are second in the queue, they won’t drop you off even if it is safe to do so.

Gingerbus1991

I agree. You know over the years I’ve always found First drivers helpful. Regularly I’ve been running for a bus and they either stop and wait or stop where I am. They will also be flexible, if stuck in traffic they will let you off at the kerb (they do this regularly near Heriot Watt in the morning). Lothian on the other hand are so inflexible at bus stops. They won’t load up if they are second in the queue, they won’t drop you off even if it is safe to do so.
I agree that by letting people on or off if you are second in a que at a bus stop would speed things along, FiG and McGills all do this in Glasgow, the public know in glasgow that its the in-thing, along in edinburgh, try getting the edinburgh public to walk to the bus and Ill give whoever manages it a medal, most of edinburgh passengers are in the belief that waiting till the front door is at the shelter is the correct way, however they do drop off if they are 2nd or 3rd in a que.
I cant say the same for FiGs drivers anyway, usually very grumpy, burning a hole in your face etc
Most bus operators(not the drivers) would wish that you dont open the door anywhere other than the bus stops for some kind of safety reasons.

LiviCrazy

I agree that by letting people on or off if you are second in a que at a bus stop would speed things along, FiG and McGills all do this in Glasgow, the public know in glasgow that its the in-thing, along in edinburgh, try getting the edinburgh public to walk to the bus and Ill give whoever manages it a medal, most of edinburgh passengers are in the belief that waiting till the front door is at the shelter is the correct way, however they do drop off if they are 2nd or 3rd in a que.
I cant say the same for FiGs drivers anyway, usually very grumpy, burning a hole in your face etc
Most bus operators(not the drivers) would wish that you dont open the door anywhere other than the bus stops for some kind of safety reasons.
Lothian are so rigid to the door at the stop rule that it often causes hazards. Eg at the stop at Wilkieston there is usually cars parked in it. Rather than stop flat against the cars it will try to swing in to the stop, causing its tail to go onto the opposite side of the road. This stops traffic both ways.

As for the Heriot Watt stop, most drivers will stop at the island crossing just before it. When the traffic is bad I’ve known it to take 10mins to get from that crossing to the bus stop. I’ve been on the buses over the last few weeks and the driver trainers have been advising that.

smtglasgow

X18 and N28 timetables are up

Serious question: Who is going to use the X18? Yes, Bathgate to Edinburgh by bus is down to about an hour, but that is still more than twice as long as the 4 times an hour train. Trains fares can seem extortionate, but the time saving more than makes up for it for commuters. I suspect there is a very good reason why the ‘fast’ bus link hasn’t been provided since the railway was electrified. Can the service survive on pensioners (with time to spare) choosing to use their passes, and local traffic between Bathgate and Broxburn etc?

What was the first route on this x18 corridor .would it have been a 20 ? And why then if it wAs was that taken off ? ( during the day as I think there is still 1 journey at night)

overthewater

Established Member
It was the old No20 service that used to cover most of the X18, before that it was 10, 11, 16 etc. It was pulled because of late running and no one using the full route. Some of the X18 journeys are madness..

In Focus

It seems from Uphall to Gogarburn the X18 runs a few minutes behind the 275 presumably to help those in Whitburn connect to a direct bus to the city, nice move on their part. plus Bathgate now has an earlier bus to the city and now only takes an hour to get to Edinburgh instead of the 2 1/2 journey on the X27/X28
Shame there is actually nothing between Bathgate and Edinburgh now of any note ,no real retail or industrial that can sustain a regular service .

In Focus

However if you buy into the Lothian PR (which is very good ) or social media you really would think every Lothian driver has a halo and all first drivers those devil horns ,even though a host have in fact worked for both lol .

In Focus

Serious question: Who is going to use the X18? Yes, Bathgate to Edinburgh by bus is down to about an hour, but that is still more than twice as long as the 4 times an hour train. Trains fares can seem extortionate, but the time saving more than makes up for it for commuters. I suspect there is a very good reason why the ‘fast’ bus link hasn’t been provided since the railway was electrified. Can the service survive on pensioners (with time to spare) choosing to use their passes, and local traffic between Bathgate and Broxburn etc?
It's a dead Duck , all the factories and retail that made the old SMT 16/17/18 viable are now gone and the Railway killed of the X1 service which at 1 point had 5 86seaters AM and PM ...I just don't get this whole nostalgia route planning LCB seems so intent on .

In Focus

It was the old No20 service that used to cover most of the X18, before that it was 10, 11, 16 etc. It was pulled because of late running and no one using the full route. Some of the X18 journeys are madness..
Taken off the to lack of interest, no Britsh Leyland ,Bathgate now a ghost town ,no Bangour, no real shopping in Broxburn , no Halls , no Uniroyal or Marshalls in Newbridge ,so much parking ar Airport andPark and ride to town , just NO real reason to assume it's viable over any period of time .

Darklord8899

It's a dead Duck , all the factories and retail that made the old SMT 16/17/18 viable are now gone and the Railway killed of the X1 service which at 1 point had 5 86seaters AM and PM ...I just don't get this whole nostalgia route planning LCB seems so intent on .

Aye exactly, as we discussed in an earlier post, all the industry that WL once had around that corridor has gone....

Gingerbus1991

Taken off the to lack of interest, no Britsh Leyland ,Bathgate now a ghost town ,no Bangour, no real shopping in Broxburn , no Halls , no Uniroyal or Marshalls in Newbridge ,so much parking ar Airport andPark and ride to town , just NO real reason to assume it's viable over any period of time .
Aye exactly, as we discussed in an earlier post, all the industry that WL once had around that corridor has gone....
It is a real shame, this is the way many areas in Scotland have became over the years.

LiviCrazy

However if you buy into the Lothian PR (which is very good ) or social media you really would think every Lothian driver has a halo and all first drivers those devil horns ,even though a host have in fact worked for both lol .
Another example this evening of First service, the driver home letting an elderly lady off the bus at the road end in Mid Calder rather than up at the bus stop (a further 100 yards up the road). They do this quite a lot.

Gingerbus1991

Another example this evening of First service, the driver home letting an elderly lady off the bus at the road end in Mid Calder rather than up at the bus stop (a further 100 yards up the road). They do this quite a lot.
I will agree to take 2 steps back but only 1 forward...

Not all drivers are like my short sightedness, there are good ones in all companys, however I think I'm pre-disposed to be negative towards many as many other people are throughout the public as many have the opinion that most drivers are quite moody and have low patience.

Ive been away from driving a bus since May and have felt myself being as relaxed and chilled out as I am now, I always tryed and workin at lothian was the first place I had ever had a comendation in the near 10 years of bus driving, I feel fortunate I now have my HGV licence though.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There's not a lot of big places that the X18 serves between Bathgate and Edinburgh, there's a much faster train service, the Scotrail fares are reasonable if you commit to a season ticket. Sure.

But the same could be said of Dunbar, Haddington and North Berwick, yet Lothian seem to be able to sustain fast buses from these towns into Edinburgh. They even run the 43 the slower way via Dalmeney (between South Queensferry and Edinburgh) rather than direct via the A90, which Lothian seem happy to serve.

Just a thought here, but maybe if they can find a niche in the market for buses from Dalmeney, Dunbar, Haddington and North Berwick (and Gorebridge etc) into central Edinburgh then they might be given the benefit of doubt in thinking that they could compete with a fast train from Bathgate into central Edinburgh?

(I think the contrary nature of enthusiasts means that any company seen to be doing too well and getting too popular has to be taken down a peg or two with negative comments - see also Trent/ Transdev etc - hence some of the negativity on here)

Driver362

After some thought I miss the debate so if I may, re join the fray so to speak ?

overthewater

Established Member
Everyone is welcome, Every opinion is welcome, The forum is designed to poke the fire. ;0)

Gingerbus1991

Mr Hall explains an increase of 30% in usage, Hmmm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181115_081417_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181115_081417_com.android.chrome.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.