• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
The passengers in Queensferry will go off there rockers of it day or weekly tickets go up..

I doubt they’ll tamper with the city west fare zone, either they’ll expand on it or keep it separate from the WL services, unless Dalmahoy come under CityWest but I don’t know yet.

At the very least I think day tickets will be the same as ECB. £5 for LCB (West Lothian) only, £7.50 for LCB,LB,ECB,Tram,Skylink and £9 for all services.

If they do Zones C/D/E hopefully LCB ridscards can be valid for certain areas, certainly bring in more money

oldman

I guess they will have to make Livingston one zone at 1.70 against First's 1.60 and perhaps undercut on longer journeys - Bathgate-Livi is 3.70 just now. Maybe one zone for the area closer to the city, and more zones further west

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I guess they will have to make Livingston one zone at 1.70 against First's 1.60 and perhaps undercut on longer journeys - Bathgate-Livi is 3.70 just now. Maybe one zone for the area closer to the city, and more zones further west

I had no idea Bathgate to Livingston was 3.70? they’re right next to one another, they’d be in the same fare zone at least. I expect it to be 3.70 from Edinburgh to Livi/Bathgate.

Even if that’s the case it’s 19 days away and everyone’s clearly getting impatient, it’s been almost 2 weeks since the timetables were released and they kept saying on Twitter it would be next week over and over again, I think withholding important information like that is risky. Even if it is going against first, Lothian would have the upper hand anyway with a fancy new fleet and ticket options that let you board Lothian Buses and East Coast services. If it was me I would go for the latter option.

overthewater

Established Member
If Lothian are using ex London stock first will have newer stock. If first keeps/brings back £4 dayticket, once again have the upper hand. First routes are much better and faster..

Mwanesh

If Lothian are using ex London stock first will have newer stock. If first keeps/brings back £4 dayticket, once again have the upper hand. First routes are much better and faster..
The Ex London stock might be a few years old but its in in good condition.Refurbished to as new condition by the manufacturer.Look at the mileage you will understand why Lothian bought them.Very low mileage.

goldisgood

The interiors are just as good as each other. Does the average commuter really care about which bus is a few years older, as long as it reliable? I doubt anyone would dig into it. Your average bus user won't know much about the different types of buses, so can't tell that it is an older model, and the Irish plates make it even harder to find out how old it is.

overthewater

Established Member
My money would still be on First at this point of time. I wonder if Lothian fares will be blue bus on the Whitburn section...

route101

Established Member
The interiors are just as good as each other. Does the average commuter really care about which bus is a few years older, as long as it reliable? I doubt anyone would dig into it. Your average bus user won't know much about the different types of buses, so can't tell that it is an older model, and the Irish plates make it even harder to find out how old it is.

Dont get this irish plates thing , someone will easily find the age if they want to buy it .

Established Member
Dont get this irish plates thing , someone will easily find the age if they want to buy it .
Most people aren't going to look up the actual age, though, since they don't really care. If it looks and feels like a new bus, they'll often just assume it probably is.
I've had a few people making comments about the old London buses being new as they got on or off the bus.

Last edited:

smtglasgow

Several weeks on from the announcement, I’m still unsure what Lothian are up to in West Lothian. I’m beginning to think the new management have lost the plot a bit – they just seem to be hyperactive at the moment, firing off in all directions. They must realise that they’ve chosen far tougher opposition than First in Midlothian or East Lothian – Livingston is far from a basket case. To make serious inroads they’ll have to provide a more comprehensive network, and that comes with significant cost. By the time McGills persuaded Arriva to sell out in Renfrewshire they were competing on every corridor – are Lothian willing/able to take the hit of sustained competition. Of course, First *might* be willing to sell – and Lothian *may* know this - but I can’t see First just walking away from an operation that is turning in a decent profit (compared with other parts of the First empire).

route101

Established Member
Most people aren't going to look up the actual age, though, since they don't really care. If it looks and feels like a new bus, they'll often just assume it probably is.
I've had a few people making comments about the old London buses being new as they got on or off the bus.

Was in Edinburgh yesterday and not seen any of these ex London buses , what routes are they are on?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
My money would still be on First at this point of time. I wonder if Lothian fares will be blue bus on the Whitburn section...

What are the fares to Whitburn anyway? First fares are awkward to find online, give Lothian credit for the fare structure. I’m guessing it will be £4.70 single to Whitburn

overthewater

Established Member
Credit for what? Fare zones based on first. Fares Which still haven't appearerd... A network which goes all over the place. First fare: Livingston to whitburn is £4.20. I believe blue bus is cheaper.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Its seem Emails have also just been sent out:

There is NO weekly ticket, and the day tickets are on par with First.

45FC0fV.jpg

Darklord8899

Yeah, i just got the E-mail as well :lol:
Interesting to note:
Will Ridacards be valid on Lothian Country?
Ridacards will valid in the city zone and cityWEST zones only.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Its seem Emails have also just been sent out:

There is NO weekly ticket, and the day tickets are on par with First.

45FC0fV.jpg

So it looks like they’re mirroring ECB with the day tickets and fare zones, obviously the punters are triggered by the “distortion” and “shambles” but let’s just stop to think how much of a risk this is, The LothianWest ticket is clearly going to be worth a lot if passengers can use it to travel in Edinburgh/Mid and bits of East Lothian and the network dayticket once again giving lots of distance with travel.

Looks like blue bus is no longer cheaper ;) 2.70 from Livingston to Whitburn. I excepted the 3.70 fare from Edinburgh to Livi and can see myself using the services more than first bus

Status
Not open for further replies.