• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

overthewater

Established Member
So at £32 that is a bit steep, of you don't need onward travel, Especially when you compare it to £18.00 For First Ticket. It is a step in the right direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please remember that any information copied from a website should be in text format so as to make it readable to screen readers etc. It should also be placed within quote tags along with a link to your source.

Established Member
Was a lot of rumours going round that they'd be returning. I was told by a colleague that they weren't meant to be out for full days when they were first introduced and that didn't help but, like everything, no reliable source to any of this information until something happens about it all.
When they first turned up, there was a list of specific running boards they could be used on which wouldn't require being changed for another bus part way through.
They still ended up being changed frequently because the range was rubbish and they broke down all the time.

They belong in a scrapyard, stripped of what useful parts they actually have.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Can they be converted to diesel?
In theory yes since they're just based on a standard Streetdeck chassis however what would be the point? Their seat capacity is very poor for that size of vehicle and Lothian don't have any routes they could run them on, a comparably sized E200 or Streetlite has 10+ more seats.

stevenedin

In theory yes since they're just based on a standard Streetdeck chassis however what would be the point? Their seat capacity is very poor for that size of vehicle and Lothian don't have any routes they could run them on, a comparably sized E200 or Streetlite has 10+ more seats.
I guess it would’ve been useful before when they had the 6, 61 and 69. It’s just such a shame they have been wasted. They barely lasted at all.

I guess it would’ve been useful before when they had the 6, 61 and 69. It’s just such a shame they have been wasted. They barely lasted at all.
I think instead of scrapping them they could sell them. I see a company like JMB Travel snapping one or two although I think it needs to be a company that has electric chargers or is somewhat big to buy them. Not sure though, I reckon Lothian could get money from them.

They belong in a scrapyard, stripped of what useful parts they actually have.
I think if they were to ever go back in service with Lothian it would be with ECB on the Service 139, although it's far away from the depot, so lots of charge could be wasted knowing how unreliable they were. Lothian could also reinstate the service 69, as lots of people are gutted it is no longer with us.

1655451024366.png
(Image above shows a section of the Lothian route map)

Maybe Lothian could make another link with Balerno to go to either Clovenstone / Wester Hailes or Heriot Watt University, although with the Herriot-Watt service, I do realise that that service is already being operated By First Bus West Lothian. As far as I'm aware, Balerno, Currie etc. doesn't have a direct link to Wester Hailes, (or Clovenstone,) so then the Streetair's could be given to Longstone as Wester Hailes and isn't that far away. It is a suggestion just because I thought that this journey would be Ideal for the Streetairs.

**Warning: I don't know what the ground and geometry of West Edinburgh and West Lothian.**

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

I think instead of scrapping them they could sell them. I see a company like JMB Travel snapping one or two although I think it needs to be a company that has electric chargers or is somewhat big to buy them. Not sure though, I reckon Lothian could get money from them.

I think if they were to ever go back in service with Lothian it would be with ECB on the Service 139, although it's far away from the depot, so lots of charge could be wasted knowing how unreliable they were. Lothian could also reinstate the service 69, as lots of people are gutted it is no longer with us.

View attachment 116355

Maybe Lothian could make another link with Balerno to go to either Clovenstone / Wester Hailes or Heriot Watt University, although with the Herriot-Watt service, I do realise that that service is already being operated By First Bus West Lothian. As far as I'm aware, Balerno, Currie etc. doesn't have a direct link to Wester Hailes, (or Clovenstone,) so then the Streetair's could be given to Longstone as Wester Hailes and isn't that far away. It is a suggestion just because I thought that this journey would be Ideal for the Streetairs.

**Warning: I don't know what the ground and geometry of West Edinburgh and West Lothian.**
That sounds like a good idea or even Balerno to Stenhouse Cross via Wester Hailes, Sighthill and Broomhouse would be a good link. People going to Balerno from Wester Hailes, Broomhouse and Stenhouse areas are limited. They have to go to Dalry or Sighthill to catch a bus there.

Maybe you should fill out a request on Lothians website they may listen you never know :)

CN04NRJ

Established Member

They've been sat for the best part of 3 years, would probably cost more to make them running (with the same problems that took them off in the first place) than what they're worth.

They'll just depreciate on the books until it's worth it to scrap them on paper.

I do agree with you but it's just on IF they were to be used.

Also, there is an XLB at Seafield, Probably just for repairs but it could be the new poppy bus???

Ricky Kane

They've been sat for the best part of 3 years, would probably cost more to make them running (with the same problems that took them off in the first place) than what they're worth.

They'll just depreciate on the books until it's worth it to scrap them on paper.
On the Topic of buses that are not around anymore was 1076 scrapped.

Snow1964

Established Member

You're not under standard Accounting rules.
If an asset is out of use (stored, potentially not going to be used again), then it needs to be fully depreciated in one go (all remaining value charged to profit and loss, P&L) It then sits on books at zero (or scrap value) until disposed of.

Therefore if was stored 3 years ago with no future plans at the time, the remaining value would have been a cost to Profit and Loss 3 years ago, so from an accounts point of view, there will not be an ideal time when it's worth scrapping them as the P&L effect has already happened.

Before anyone clarifies, although I have used term depreciation (as it is commonly understood), there is also a category called diminution of value, and strictly the P&L charge would have gone against this, whilst maintaining the depreciation whilst it remains within asset register. If subsequently brought back into use from scrap line storage, the current value can be reinstated in the books, by reversing the diminution.

Last edited by a moderator:

317 forever

Established Member
It's up to 562 now with interior re-trims. Rumor is that 553-555 have been fitted with Hanovers but there is no evidence to back this up, plus 551 which was also rumored to have them turned out to still have mobitecs.
Do they have a new moquette or still the same one?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Do they have a new moquette or still the same one?
It's the new style moquette they've received. Looks much better i'd say. Only 6 of the hybrids left to go.

That rumor which I mentioned in my post you quoted was incorrect, 551/3/4/5 didn't get Hanovers but rather new style roof pods as the rest of the fleet are receiving.

How does it work for drivers and vehicles for special services like the 98? I thought it was all vehicles from Central but then I saw one of the Zoo Gemini 3s was tracking on the 98 so obviously not.
That rumor which I mentioned in my post you quoted was incorrect, 551/3/4/5 didn't get Hanovers but rather new style roof pods as the rest of the fleet are receiving.
Is it the really small ones at the front you're meaning?
What are they for?
I had a very brief moment of hope that it might have been air conditioning pods, until I looked at online images of the recently refurbished vehicles and discovered it wasn't! :lol:
Oh actually a follow-on question: the electric deckers 291-294 have air conditioning installed as part of the HVAC system; why were they built with opening windows too? Whenever it gets sightly too hot everyone just opens the windows which lets more hot air in, and then the AC can't do anything :(<(

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Is it the really small ones at the front you're meaning?
What are they for?

Yes, the small circular ones at the top front. These have appeared across the fleet, and many vehicles are receiving them. I think they are connected to the AVL systems, although I wouldn't be able to confirm this. They've been replacing the flatter square shaped ones.

Yes, the small circular ones at the top front. These have appeared across the fleet, and many vehicles are receiving them. I think they are connected to the AVL systems, although I wouldn't be able to confirm this. They've been replacing the flatter square shaped ones.
Ah okay, thanks.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Without trying to sound sarcastic, you've probably answered your own question there.

How does it work for drivers and vehicles for special services like the 98? I thought it was all vehicles from Central but then I saw one of the Zoo Gemini 3s was tracking on the 98 so obviously not.

Doesn't really matter what depot, what bus or who covers it, as long as it gets covered.

Lothian_Bus

I'm not an employee so can't answer for certain but my understanding is that the service will be run from one particular depot but potentially also using buses provided from other depots.

Cruiselink I believe usually operates from Central but buses are also provided from Longstone and Marine.

This is a busy week with the special services for the Royal Highland Show.

Although it's been 3 years I recall service 97 being run from Longstone and service 98 from Marine but with buses from Central and Longstone also being based at Marine for a few days.

On Thursday to Sunday there may be some older vehicles cropping up on certain routes as the newer buses will cover the 97 and 98.

This Thursday in particular will be a stretch on resources with Cruiselink x99 also operating that day.

Last edited:
I'm not an employee so can't answer for certain but my understanding is that the service will be run from one particular depot but potentially also using buses provided from other depots.

Cruiselink I believe usually operates from Central but buses are also provided from Longstone and Marine.

This is a busy week with the special services for the Royal Highland Show.

Although it's been 3 years I recall service 97 being run from Longstone and service 98 from Marine but with buses from Central and Longstone also being based at Marine for a few days.

On Thursday to Sunday there may be some older vehicles cropping up on certain routes as the newer buses will cover the 97 and 98.

This Thursday in particular will be a stretch on resources with Cruiselink x99 also operating that day.
I think it's any bus that is available because Marine MMC's were used, and I think the drivers do it for overtime.
A Marine Bus Driver was on the X99 Cruiselink, That it is my point of view, I'm not sure if it's correct or false though, all I know is that a Marine Driver and Bus was used.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
A few things to mention:

• 1039 involved in an accident earlier on the A71 earlier, no injuries reported and damage unknown.
  • 1148/49/51 have now all been out and about the past few days on driver training duties from Longstone.
  • 688/9 have both moved to Marine (unsure whether this is temporary or not).
  • Finally, it's become apparent 174/5 are likely both becoming training buses with this image now emerged which sees the removal of the side dest, as well as seat on the left front, no cab door and backwards facing seats on the interior of the vehicle. Said image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothi...feed-193358739-1655841617-1-72157721624591003 (Not my photo, from "Lothian Buses Photos" on flickr). Quite surprised these buses being converted at just 12, but seeing the constant use of other vehicles as training buses (mainly 7900's) I can completely understand why this is being done.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
  • 1148/49/51 have now all been out and about the past few days on driver training duties from Longstone.
Is 1143 still operating from Marine but not tracking?
  • 688/9 have both moved to Marine (unsure whether this is temporary or not).
Marine do have a decent sized decker PVR now. The 45 still seems to be mostly deckers when i see it, reckon the 2 could do with deckers again too
Finally, it's become apparent 174/5 are likely both becoming training buses with this image now emerged which sees the removal of the side dest, as well as seat on the left front, no cab door and backwards facing seats on the interior of the vehicle. Said image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothi...feed-193358739-1655841617-1-72157721624591003 (Not my photo, from "Lothian Buses Photos" on flickr). Quite surprised these buses being converted at just 12, but seeing the constant use of other vehicles as training buses (mainly 7900's) I can completely understand why this is being done.
Flickr posts like that when all those other vehicles from the batch are listed in the decription are quite annoying as it shows photos of other buses in the algorithm when you search for other ones in the batch