• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
Seems more are going white, appears 1126-1130 are all white now
a number have been painted in white - due to the PVR drop. In the future when the PVR rises again, they will be wrapped in a promotional livery - if by that point they arent being replaced.

After the Amazon contract, they'll be used in the service pool.

a number have been painted in white - due to the PVR drop. In the future when the PVR rises again, they will be wrapped in a promotional livery - if by that point they arent being replaced.

After the Amazon contract, they'll be used in the service pool.
When is the amazon contract finishing?

Is there a set date?

OmniCity999

Established Member
When is the amazon contract finishing?

Is there a set date?
I'm led to believe its the 31st of January - but others who work "on the front line" so to speak may know better.

At which time the white XLB's will run on regular service work where and when needed, until/if a PVR increase is needed on Airlink.

not entirely sure, there may be more contract work available elsewhere. Wouldnt be the first time a private hire was set up in another part of the country. etc, plenty options if the money is right.

Having high spec buses in all over white has pro's and con's, biggest pro is that they can be used on any service etc.

I'm led to believe its the 31st of January - but others who work "on the front line" so to speak may know better.

At which time the white XLB's will run on regular service work where and when needed, until/if a PVR increase is needed on Airlink.

not entirely sure, there may be more contract work available elsewhere. Wouldnt be the first time a private hire was set up in another part of the country. etc, plenty options if the money is right.

Having high spec buses in all over white has pro's and con's, biggest pro is that they can be used on any service etc.
Ok thank you :).

I've recently heard that E&M Horsburgh are getting rid of all their optare solos (well at least the older gen i think) is there any other B7RLEs from Lothian (exept RIG 6491 and RIG 6492) that are there.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Ok thank you :).

I've recently heard that E&M Horsburgh are getting rid of all their optare solo's (well at least the older gen i think) is there any other B7RLEs from Lothian (exept RIG 6491 and RUG 6492) that are there.
we still have loads.

are they actively for sale? some are. They'd be better going through Ensign though. I think Horsburgh prefer smaller buses, down to fuel costs, passenger loadings and smaller roads - so i cant imagine more B7RLE's will be for them.

sounds like a lot of speculation though. Cant imagine this is the best place to discuss Horsburgh, either.

we still have loads.

are they actively for sale? some are. They'd be better going through Ensign though. I think Horsburgh prefer smaller buses, down to fuel costs, passenger loadings and smaller roads - so i cant imagine more B7RLE's will be for them.

sounds like a lot of speculation though. Cant imagine this is the best place to discuss Horsburgh, either.
Yeah, Horsburgh's routes are quite rural.

What thread should be used for speaking about E&M Horsburgh?
Thanks.

Also what B7RLE's are still with Lothian?:)

OmniCity999

Established Member
What thread should be used for speaking about E&M Horsburgh?
Thanks.

Also what B7RLE's are still with Lothian?:)
Probably the "Indipendant Operators in the Lothians" thread.

Theres between 30-40 service ready examples over the seven Lothian sites. With more in storage.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The 30 is fully Evora operated right now!

Long awaited sight! The only 7900s were the part routes from the Fort to Longstone, imagine we might start to see some stray onto the 2 once they're all in service.

stantheman

On Moderation
173 seems to be on the 30 now , and 170 on the 42 . Are the days of these buses numbered on any route now ?

If services are being turned back before the end of their route due to weather (eg the 4 was being turned at Fairmilehead today instead of Hillend, according to the website), do they display the new terminating point on the destination display or the original? I would have thought they would display the new destination but the LVF earlier was still showing the 4s as terminating at Hillend.

*Mod note* Please ensure that you define acronyms/abbreviations in your posts

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
If services are being turned back before the end of their route due to weather (eg the 4 was being turned at Fairmilehead today instead of Hillend, according to the website), do they display the new terminating point on the destination display or the original? I would have thought they would display the new destination but the LVF earlier was still showing the 4s as terminating at Hillend.
The buses themselves would obviously show the part route working but as it’s a temporary service alteration rather than a permanent one any live feed will run under a normal service as the data would need to be updated to reflect it, something that I imagine would take Lothian hours (or even days) to do rather than minutes.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

All the LEDs have any possible part route option programmed into them - as for the rollers I'd assume they'd be on there but I had to ask the control room for the code for Western General a few weeks ago with 173 as I've only got a few memorised.

The buses themselves would obviously show the part route working but as it’s a temporary service alteration rather than a permanent one any live feed will run under a normal service as the data would need to be updated to reflect it, something that I imagine would take Lothian hours (or even days) to do rather than minutes.
Ah. So the data feed only links the vehicle to a particular rota/duty? I had assumed that all the systems were interlinked, so whatever was on the vehicles' destination screen and route number, was sent to the feed, and that was how the system found out which vehicles were running which service.

All the LEDs have any possible part route option programmed into them - as for the rollers I'd assume they'd be on there but I had to ask the control room for the code for Western General a few weeks ago with 173 as I've only got a few memorised.
Ah.
I'm surprised that all the vehicles with rollers don't have a laminated sheet attached to each vehicle, listing everything on the roller and its code.
Then again, if each duty card has the normal route codes on it, there probably isn't much use for a list of all the codes on the roller, apart from during disruption.

Last edited:

Edirim

Finlay Smith updates if a bus is due to be turned short but lothians own app doesn't its a strange one.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Today, the 36 is being operated by 4 Evora's and 2 7900's. The 30 has all Evora's with one 7900 today.

Only 7 left to enter service, I am surprised by the 36 though - I thought they'd go on the 2 or perhaps it might vary day to day?

mb88

Is there not an option somewhere within the depths of the various menus on the AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locator) units to program in a short turn which would then be reflected in the data feed to the various countdown websites and apps such as LVF etc? Certainly this is how it works in London with the (albeit much newer) iBus system where the driver can select from a list of curtailment points which then updates the onboard announcements etc.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Is there not an option somewhere within the depths of the various menus on the AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locator) units to program in a short turn which would then be reflected in the data feed to the various countdown websites and apps such as LVF etc? Certainly this is how it works in London with the (albeit much newer) iBus system where the driver can select from a list of curtailment points which then updates the onboard announcements etc.

It's done remotely by controllers, the AVL will display 'inter journey' if off service (and your subsequent starting stop/time if resuming service elsewhere) or the terminal point will change if changing to a part route. I think this removes the bus from tracking on the main app and bus stops but not sure about other feeds.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Each single deck route at Longstone has at least 1 evora;

Route 2 has 4
Route 30 has 11
Route 36 has 5
Route 38 has 1

My guess is that allocations are random in the weekends due to less passengers on the buses

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Route 2 has 4
Route 30 has 11
Route 36 has 5
Route 38 has 1

My guess is that allocations are random in the weekends due to less passengers on the buses

Indeed! On my third MCV of the day, certainly enjoying my 5 hours on the 36 more than I used to :lol:

Route 2 has 4
Route 30 has 11
Route 36 has 5
Route 38 has 1

Or it's a case of turn up to the garage and pick a bus, any bus :lol:
*Obviously a decker if it's a decker route, or a single if it's not a decker route (especially not if it's the 30!! :D)

OmniCity999

Established Member
Or it's a case of turn up to the garage and pick a bus, any bus :lol:
*Obviously a decker if it's a decker route, or a single if it's not a decker route (especially not if it's the 30!! :D)
AIUI - buses are generally allocated to drivers. They have little to no choice as to what they are given.

Unless their on standby I believe. A mate of mine used to always pick a trident for MUDFA duties.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
What does MUDFA stand for?

IIRC its related to peak spare/extra buses?
Multi Utilities Diversion Framework Agreement. Fairly sure it was brought in during the Renilson era. Afaik it’s basically a spare bus, in previous years normally a few were placed around the city. These days some still do that but I think majority are spare from the depots.