• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Out of interest how do you set the screens when you take a route. I take it the screens are all numbered and the running board tells you the code(s) to enter to get the right screens showing?

Gone are the days when the 12/2 used to change number at Hay Drive and occasionally the driver would let very young me turn the handle to change the rear number.

This is a Mobitec controller for the mechanical roller blinds.

The destination, intermediate via screens and number have to be set separately on these.

The running boards have a list of the codes to use but there's some additional ones such as route diverted/part routes on the single/double decks that aren't listed. E.G a 30 to Musselburgh would be route 30, dest 42 and intermediate 28 (if it was a decker :lol:)

I've got a PDF file with most of them but the other evening I had to screen Western General on 171 and it took me almost 5 minutes to find it!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1607719872814_6743265893424632880.jpeg

Last edited:

Tartan shorts

This is a Mobitec controller for the mechanical roller blinds.

The destination, intermediate via screens and number have to be set separately on these.

The running boards have a list of the codes to use but there's some additional ones such as route diverted/part routes on the single decks that aren't listed. E.G a 30 to Musselburgh would be route 30, dest 42 and intermediate 28 (if it was a decker :lol:)

I've got a PDF file with most of them but the other evening I had to screen Western General on 171 and it took me almost 5 minutes to find it!

View attachment 86984

Thanks.

I did think if you were on an unfamiliar route or service change i.e. When buses occasionally get short turned at Prestonfield due to delays etc. It could be a nightmare trying to find the correct screen in a hurry.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
When the G1/B9TLS get withdrawn will the 3 bridges ones be included or what will replace them.
How are we meant to know at this point in time? Its still months before the Gemini B9s go

The repaint order is confusing and i dont really know how its being worked out. There are still 11 plate B9's that havent had any modernisation since delivery, no new seat covers, flooring, paint or screens.
all the 11 plates had seat covers redone last year however 351-363 Or 364 have the same design as their original covers instead of the updated one like the rest of them have

OmniCity999

Established Member
When the G1/B9TLS get withdrawn will the 3 bridges ones be included or what will replace them.
It really depends on if the tourist market picks up. We wont know the lasting damage of Covid until we're living it.

If tourism recovers well from Covid and the Three Bridges Tour continues, it's most likely that the two buses that run it will stay on it.

-They cover little mileage daily
-They are seasonal
-They are relatively new and can be brought up to Euro 6 easily.

The other option is for one or two Gemini 2's or early Gemini 3's - potentially even one or two later eclipses to run the service.

Another potential option is for one of the coaches to do the runs, or even fleet buses - they dont need to be branded.

As has previously been stated, we'll just need to wait and see.

There is no such thing as a Gemini 1 - officially it goes Gemini, Gemini 2, Gemini 3. A "Gemini 1" is something enthusiasts have created.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I was referring to a recent post about 3 bridges becoming a normal bus service
Your own post, yes. As was i.

Why start a new service if the service it was replacing wasnt performing very well?

Potential patrons for the boat service could just get a service 43 and just take a brief walk to the pier.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'd like to make a couple of points before I retire for the evening morning:
  • To the inquisitive: Please bear in mind that not everyone has the answers, particularly when it relates to future events. If anyone does happen to have an accurate crystal ball, I'd be happy to receive tomorrow's winning lottery numbers :) Please do not assume that staff have all the answers and if they do, consider whether or not they are at liberty to disclose information. Companies often have social media policies which prevent employees from divulging information, and this is not solely restricted to the bus industry. It's not fair to badger them for information that their contract precludes them from giving out. It would also be appreciated if you could use the forum search function to find out if your questions have already been answered before posting. Google (or whichever search engine you prefer) has a site-search facility.
  • To those in the know: Please understand that some people are inquisitive and try to be polite with your answers. I know it can be frustrating having to answer the same queries over and over again, but unfortunately that's the nature of forums like this one.
  • Above all, the need to be respectful is enshrined in the forum rules. If you feel slightly exasperated by someone else's posts, take a step back and a deep breath before responding. I have also been guilty of responding in the heat of the moment, but it does none of us any favours.
Have a good weekend, folks :)

Bus9120UK

Established Member
According to the Findlay Smith tracker LCB 591 is at Musselburgh right now and 20003 is in a field near Gullane Beach - not sure if its a bug with 2003 or did something happen?

BobScott

I was referring to a recent post about 3 bridges becoming a normal bus service
The 3 Bridges is a sightseeing tour with a live guide talking about attractions on the way. It’s not a normal bus service. By having a branded livery it attracts custom.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
According to the Findlay Smith tracker LCB 591 is at Musselburgh right now and 20003 is in a field near Gullane Beach - not sure if its a bug with 2003 or did something happen?

Some of 591-594 occasionally show up on the website in North Berwick too even when I've seen them on the 287 (now 275) etc. Most of the MCVs are showing as off the coast of Ghana and some buses used to show in the Forth so I doubt 20003 is in a field :lol:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There is no such thing as a Gemini 1 - officially it goes Gemini, Gemini 2, Gemini 3. A "Gemini 1" is something enthusiasts have created.
Although this is true, I think since there have been Gemini 2's & Gemini 3's everybody has just gotten used to calling it the Gemini 1.

Some of 591-594 occasionally show up on the website in North Berwick too. Most of the MCVs are showing as off the coast of Ghana and some buses used to show in the Forth so I doubt 20003 is in a field :lol:
Thanks. Thought the same thing. I think that the MCV numbers are actually still from when the darts existed, as before the Evora's were even announced they popped up.

Edit: 591 has teleported to North Berwick, it is defo a bug!

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
buses in North Berwick depot show in a line near gullane, happens often overnight with what stables there

stan68

Does anyone know what type vehicle 3057, 3051 and 3061 are as they appear as being inside ECB Musselburgh Garage?
The Findlay Smith Tracker really doesn't seem accurate as others have said before.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Does anyone know what type vehicle 3057, 3051 and 3061 are as they appear as being inside ECB Musselburgh Garage?
The Findlay Smith Tracker really doesn't seem accurate as others have said before.
They are 10057, 10051 & 10061 however the trackers can only contain 4 digits, but 1057, 1051 & 1061 were taken so they were changed to 3057, 3051 and 3061 on trackers

Edirim

Finlay Smith and bus times are both accurate with the information they get from lothians api. It's an issue with the trackers not the websites

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Finlay Smith and bus times are both accurate with the information they get from lothians api. It's an issue with the trackers not the websites
its not really an issue as such. its a default setting where North Berwick depot sometimes auto locates to a certain latitude near the gullane area. its a similar case with of the coast of africa. on a 2D map that location is the centre of world which is where withdrawn buses etc.. defualt to

Edirim

Null island in other words.
Coast of Africa is Lat 0, Long 0 hence its the default location for a lot of buses.

OmniCity999

Established Member
All Edinburgh trackers share the same data feed (API), provided by Lothian and the Council.

As previously mentioned, the system is very outdated so is rather sluggish/prone to fail.

Tracking websites are only as good as the information that is being provided.

Some of 591-594 occasionally show up on the website in North Berwick too even when I've seen them on the 287 (now 275) etc. Most of the MCVs are showing as off the coast of Ghana and some buses used to show in the Forth so I doubt 20003 is in a field :lol:
Edit: 591 has teleported to North Berwick, it is defo a bug!
buses in North Berwick depot show in a line near gullane, happens often overnight with what stables there
Each operation has its own reference point. The entire Lothian group uses:
Null island in other words.
Coast of Africa is Lat 0, Long 0 hence its the default location for a lot of buses.
specifically vehicles that have been out of service for a long period of time/new show here.

North Berwick stabled vehicles show up in Gullane somewhere and Livingston buses often show elsewhere in the town as opposed to the depot. This happens more often than not when the vehicle has been stabled, powered off and then auxiliary power has been used for instance - cleaners lights or cab lights. The tracker will realise its in its home position, then reposition itself to said reference point - the tracker "safe" point.

Lothian fleet vehicles often show where they were last in service. The vehicle will end service, log off tracker, then drive light to depot, once at the depot, auxiliary power is used and the tracker replaces itself for some reason.

In the Lothian case, i believe this is down to tracker cacheing and in the subsidiary case i cant remember the reason...

Why the 591-594 batch often does what it does is because i believe they have trackers from the former East Coast tridents - their "safe" point will be Gullane, when it cant be confirmed by the API services.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
amazing, so many lost forgotten sights and links here

12-Running along Fillyside
13-Run by Lothian
15-Extended to Tranent
17-Still running
20-running the loop to Stenhouse and Chesser
24-Along Cramond to Barnton
35-Ran along Constitution Street
41-Running to Craighouse
42-Running to Silverknowes via Marine Drive
44-Extended to Pencaitland
45-Ran to Eastfield via Willowbrae and peak journeys ran to Gogarburn via Hermiston P&R

feels weird and nostalgic seeing these old services and how they used to be, so many direct links compared to now, especially on the 12,24 and 42

tbtc

Veteran Member
Forgot about that 17 route, why was that withdrawn?

It was duplicated for most of its route.

The 17 was initially pretty much a duplicate of the 16 (when both terminated at Newhaven, albeit the 17 was via Great Junction Street), in the days when Newhaven was the main termini in that neck of the woods, i.e. pre Ocean Terminal) - the 16 and 17 were every fifteen minutes each - I think it was a way of combatting the Eastern/ SMT C1/C11 at Hunters Tryst end. I think that in those days the 10 was the Leith Walk service that ran beyond Newhaven to Silverknowes.

The 17 was later diverted via Cannonmills to Granton to replace the eastern side of the old 19/39, but pretty much disappeared without a trace (albeit the 8 was diverted away from Granton Road and into Pilton)

20-running the loop to Stenhouse and Chesser

IIRC that was the last link from the Balgreen/ Stenhouse area to Wester Hailes - there used to be a frequent service with the old Eastern C55 (which later included the C70) - but I guess that the opening of the Gyle was a lot more attractive for somewhere to work/shop than Wester Hailes (Farmfoods and Iceland vs M&S and Morrisons) - Wester Hailes used to be more of a draw from the rest of western Edinburgh in the days before Hermiston Gait and expansion of shopping at Chesser too.