• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

oldman

The Tron was the traditional place to meet at Hogmanay, so then everyone knew where it was. Maybe not now. Because the numbers were getting out of hand, the Princes Street party was introduced in the 1990s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BobScott

I used to see Tron deployed quite often as a destination. Perhaps it's less common these days because routes can't run along the High Street where part routes may have terminated at the junction with the Bridges then run light somewhere else. I suppose destinations like Surgeons' Hall or Leith Street/Elm Row cover most possibilities now but Tron might remain relevant to the 35 and 45.
In “the old days” you used to be able to drive all the way round the Tron church before the area at the west side was pedestrianised. There were several routes that would terminate there on Part Route workings displaying TRON on the screens. Usually the last stops were North Bridge nearest the junction or coming down the High Street at the top of Cockburn Street, then the buses would turn all the way round the church and go back again or take up on another service.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I’m guessing the Christmas services are remaining intact after the new lockdown restrictions have been announced

buslad1988

I’m guessing the Christmas services are remaining intact after the new lockdown restrictions have been announced
Don’t bank on it... expect an announcement shortly. Christmas Day is staying as scheduled but not after that. Keep an eye on Lothians website.

Don’t bank on it... expect an announcement shortly. Christmas Day is staying as scheduled but not after that. Keep an eye on Lothians website.
Sounds like we're effectively returning to the "stay at home, no shops, no schools, no travel" directive from Saturday. Therefore it wouldn't be surprising if bus schedules went back to the skeletal lockdown position we saw earlier this year. Would be hard to justify the very comprehensive service level Lothian originally put forward.

We're operating a near normal service from the 5th January here in Glasgow just some services are slightly reduced on a Sunday that's the only kinda more noticeable change in terms of moving back to Level 4 restrictions. Festive timetables staying as is until then.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
We're operating a near normal service from the 5th January here in Glasgow just some services are slightly reduced on a Sunday that's the only kinda more noticeable change in terms of moving back to Level 4 restrictions. Festive timetables staying as is until then.

It's a normal or even enhanced compared to pre-covid levels at the moment in Edinburgh on most services (more frequent or earlier/later journeys on some routes). I'd say that's been mostly justified recently, particularly in the daytime, but obviously numbers will be significantly down over the next few weeks.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Seems sensible. I can’t imagine places like Fort Kinnaird will have the demand initially expected for Boxing Day.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Services changes have been announced: https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/12/service-change-saturday-26-december/

From Boxing Day (26 December) all of mainland Scotland will enter into protection Level 4 for a minimum of 3 weeks. This means you will be legally required to remain within your local authority, except for certain circumstances i.e. caring responsibilities, commuting to/from work which cannot be done from home, etc.

As has been the case throughout the course of the pandemic, Lothian will continue to provide services for those who must make essential journeys. While there will be some change to service frequency on Boxing Day, services from Sunday 27 December to Thursday 31 December will be delivered as originally published.

In view of an anticipated decrease in customer journeys across January, a Saturday service will operate Mondays to Saturdays (with a Sunday timetable in effect on 10 January). Beyond 16 January, service levels will be dependent on updated guidance from the Scottish Government in terms of COVID-19 restrictions and protection levels. As soon as we have further information, we will update our customers via our website and social media channels. We would advise all customers to plan their essential journeys in advance via our Lothian app or via the journey planner on our website.

A summary of how our network will be affected can be found below.

Service information
Lothian Buses – click here to download the timetables.

There will be a slight change to the frequency of some of our services on Boxing Day. The revised Boxing Day timetables will now also operate on 1 January 2021 (New Year’s Day) and 2 January 2021, ensuring that a comprehensive network continues to be provided on these days.

From Sunday 27 December through to Thursday 31 December, service levels will continue as planned without change – on Sunday 27 December we will operate a Sunday service, and between 28 and 31 December we will operate a Saturday service. Please note that buses will stop earlier on 31 December. The Sunday service planned for 3 January will also continue to operate.

From Monday 4 January to Saturday 16 January 2021, a Saturday timetable will operate on Mondays to Saturdays, with a Sunday timetable operating on 10 January. Beyond 16 January, service levels will be dependent on updated guidance from the Scottish Government in terms of COVID-19 restrictions and protection levels.

EastCoastbuses – click here to download the timetables.

The planned timetables for Boxing Day will now also operate on 1 January 2021 (New Year’s Day) and 2 January. Timetables on all other days from 24 December through to Sunday 3 January will operate as planned.

From Monday 4 January to Saturday 16 January 2021, a Saturday timetable will operate on Mondays to Saturdays, with a Sunday timetable operating on 10 January. Beyond 16 January, service levels will be dependent on updated guidance from the Scottish Government in terms of COVID-19 restrictions and protection levels.

Lothiancountry – click here to download timetables.

The planned timetables for Boxing Day will be revised, with West Lothian aervices and the Service 43 now operating revised timetables. These timetables will also operate on 1 January 2021 (New Year’s Day) and 2 January. The special Service 231 will not operate on 2 January.

Edinburgh Bus Tours

Edinburgh Bus Tours will be temporarily suspended after Wednesday 23 December until further notice. If you have any questions or ticketing enquiries, please contact [email protected]. Please keep an eye on Edinburgh Bus Tours’ social media channels for up-to-date information.
I have emboldened the key information from the article.

Services changes have been announced: https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/12/service-change-saturday-26-december/

I have emboldened the key information from the article.
The leaflet looks like a good attempt at short notice, but have Lothian Buses copied the wrong summary map for 26 Dec & 1/2 January on page 8? It looks like they've used the old 1 January network while the timetables suggest all services that previously made up the (higher) 26 December level of coverage will be operating throughout.
Or is the mistake in the detailed timetables for routes like 1, 19 and 41 which say they run on all three days when it's actually only one, two or none at all? That conflicts with the text in the announcement.
Might be viewed as a bit unusual that there are more routes running on 1 January than originally planned, although I can understand from a scheduling perspective the easiest thing is just to use the same pattern each day.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The leaflet looks like a good attempt at short notice, but have Lothian Buses copied the wrong summary map for 26 Dec & 1/2 January on page 8? It looks like they've used the old 1 January network while the timetables suggest all services that previously made up the (higher) 26 December level of coverage will be operating throughout.
Or is the mistake in the detailed timetables for routes like 1, 19 and 41 which say they run on all three days when it's actually only one, two or none at all? That conflicts with the text in the announcement.
Might be viewed as a bit unusual that there are more routes running on 1 January than originally planned, although I can understand from a scheduling perspective the easiest thing is just to use the same pattern each day.
I think the map is wrong, mainly as route 231 is not on it

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yeah, I saw some comments on Twitter asking Lothian if they had made mistakes. I'm not sure if they've been rectified now though?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I think the map is wrong, mainly as route 231 is not on it

Are you talking about the Lothian network map For Christmas, Because the West Lothian only services 231,275,280 aren’t on there because it’s only showing the Edinburgh region + MidLothian/ West of East Lothian

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Are you talking about the Lothian network map For Christmas, Because the West Lothian only services 231,275,280 aren’t on there because it’s only showing the Edinburgh region + MidLothian/ West of East Lothian
I'm talking about the bottom left of the maps which display the routes. 280 is there but not 231

Edit: I am dumb, 231 is there

This is a Mobitec controller for the mechanical roller blinds.

The destination, intermediate via screens and number have to be set separately on these.

The running boards have a list of the codes to use but there's some additional ones such as route diverted/part routes on the single/double decks that aren't listed. E.G a 30 to Musselburgh would be route 30, dest 42 and intermediate 28 (if it was a decker :lol:)

I've got a PDF file with most of them but the other evening I had to screen Western General on 171 and it took me almost 5 minutes to find it!

View attachment 86984
I had guessed that it would be XLBs operating the 30 today; it's a shame it's not a roller blind vehicle though and then drivers would have got a chance to use the intermediate blind on a decker on the 30! :lol:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Looks like every city route is being operated with XLB's!
Livingston is all Gemini 3 Hybrids except the 231, which has a single Eclipse 2.
East Coast Buses is a Gemini 3 on the 124 and an Eclipse 3 on the 113

Lothian285

Looks like every city route is being operated with XLB's!
Livingston is all Gemini 3 Hybrids except the 231, which has a single Eclipse 2.
East Coast Buses is a Gemini 3 on the 124 and an Eclipse 3 on the 113
The 7 and 8 are using Gemini 3's but other than that all the city routes are XLB's.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Happy Christmas everyone

if anyone is able to see the 231 in person be sure to grab a photo!

There's a picture on the Lothian Country Buses & East Coast Buses Facebook group of the 231 this afternoon if you're on there.

Here is an image of an XLB on the 30 - very strange isn't it! (Not my photo) https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasakarim/50759138502/in/pool-lothianbuses/

You are right - the fleet numbers confused me! Also seems the 7&8 are interworked

The 30/37 is interworked too.

stan68

Will the StreetAir EVs come back into service as they are all currently listed as withdrawn (probably not necessary during the pandemic)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Will the StreetAir EVs come back into service as they are all currently listed as withdrawn (probably not necessary during the pandemic)

I think only one has turned a wheel since September 2019 and that was only for a few weeks in March.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Merry Christmas everyone.

Does anyone know of LothianCountry (in the long term) will have the 231 (31) contract in the future?
this has been covered a few pages back - the West Lothian contracts havent gone up for tender yet.

When contracts go up for tender, companies will bid for them and if LCB do, they'll be in with a chance of getting it - but right now, the tenders arent up.

Its likely they'll be delayed until after covid too.

Streetairs are out of service just now. when theres any news on their return - it'll be posted on here.

I believe part of the issue is electrical supply. This is being fixed for the BYD 400's we're getting next year. So we might see them again.

figgi757

this has been covered a few pages back - the West Lothian contracts havent gone up for tender yet.

When contracts go up for tender, companies will bid for them and if LCB do, they'll be in with a chance of getting it - but right now, the tenders arent up.

Its likely they'll be delayed until after covid too.

Streetairs are out of service just now. when theres any news on their return - it'll be posted on here.

I believe part of the issue is electrical supply. This is being fixed for the BYD 400's we're getting next year. So we might see them again.
If LCB did go for the 31 (231) tender, the Streetairs would be ideal size for the route. One really tight turn on the route that I was hearing from drivers on the route today.

If LCB did go for the 31 (231) tender, the Streetairs would be ideal size for the route. One really tight turn on the route that I was hearing from drivers on the route today.
They would be good for size but apparently they have short/not so good battery life, don't know if it would be possible but converting them into smaller length Volvo B8RLE or a B8RLH.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
They would be good for size but apparently they have short/not so good battery life, don't know if it would be possible but converting them into smaller length Volvo B8RLE or a B8RLH.

Given they're entirely built by Wright as a pure electric integral I'm not sure how it's possible they could be made into a Volvo?