• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Trident638

Buses are allocated to drivers in the mornings by the gateman. You check the run out sheet for your block number/time due out the garage and it tells you your bus and what bay its parked in in the depot. Even for doing a changeover you're generally told which bus to take.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Buses are allocated to drivers in the mornings by the gateman. You check the run out sheet for your block number/time due out the garage and it tells you your bus and what bay its parked in in the depot. Even for doing a changeover you're generally told which bus to take.

I was lucky enough *once* to choose between a B7RLE or a 7900 when I had to take a bus out from the garage after my break as my bus was 45 late. That's the only time in the last year I've had a choice :lol:

Trident638

I was lucky enough *once* to choose between a B7RLE or a 7900 when I had to take a bus out from the garage after my break as my bus was 45 late. That's the only time in the last year I've had a choice :lol:
And you took the B7RLE I presume?!

route101

Established Member
Was looking at old video from 1995, what variation back then was the Airlink 200 service? And there was another service, Air Bus using older deckers?

Plenty of Atlanteans still around, anyone got a timeline of withdrawal of them, I know 2000 was last one.

DunsBus

Established Member
Was looking at old video from 1995, what variation back then was the Airlink 200 service? And there was another service, Air Bus using older deckers?

Plenty of Atlanteans still around, anyone got a timeline of withdrawal of them, I know 2000 was last one.
Air Bus was Guide Friday's response to LRT starting up the Classic Tour after Guide Friday had started its Edinburgh city tour. Guide Friday had hoped to collaborate with LRT, but LRT said no and claimed that there was no market for open-top tours in Edinburgh - famous last words! LRT then responded to Guide Friday starting the Air Bus by launching Classic Tours in Oxford, York and (briefly) Cambridge.

As I recall the 100 and 200 followed the same route between the Airport and Princes Street, the 100 then went to Waverley Bridge via the bus station whilst the 200 went direct to Waverley Bridge via the Mound.

As for Atlanteans, the first withdrawals of these took place in 1979.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

the 200 used to be an Airlink service in the 90’s go figure

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Is there any chance you could actually post the link to said video? Others may wish to view it.

I think this is a bit off topic but...

Apart from convering Lothian Country's B7RLE Wright Eclipse 2's to Euro 6 from Euro 5, what else changed?

And was the reason SN13 BFA (181) caught on fire was an error during the conversion?

They got new seats and bandit screens removed (but I think they'd be back now)
Ah yes thank you, in my opinion even though the bandit screens aren't needed on West Lothian routes they might as well have kept them for driver safety.

I think it is one of the covid screen protector fitted on them(if you know what I mean).

DunsBus

Established Member
the 200 used to be an Airlink service in the 90’s go figure
Not Airlink, but actually Airline as the airport service was rebranded in 1995
The 100 and 200 shared the same route (Waverley - Haymarket - Roseburn - Maybury - Gogarburn - Airport) on the outbound journey; coming back in, the 100 went to Waverley via the bus station whilst the 200 went to Waverley direct via the Mound.

BobScott

Not Airlink, but actually Airline as the airport service was rebranded in 1995
The 100 and 200 shared the same route (Waverley - Haymarket - Roseburn - Maybury - Gogarburn - Airport) on the outbound journey; coming back in, the 100 went to Waverley via the bus station whilst the 200 went to Waverley direct via the Mound.
Wasn’t it the other way round? 100 Waverley direct, 200 from the bus station.

DunsBus

Established Member
Wasn’t it the other way round? 100 Waverley direct, 200 from the bus station.
No, it was definitely 100 from the bus station and Waverley, 200 was Waverley direct. The 100 had been running via the bus station for a few months before the Airline relaunch.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Evora's 68, 72, 76 and 90 have all entered service today. The only one left is 95, which will probably enter service very soon!

DunsBus

Established Member
BobScott was asking if it was the 100 or the 200 which served the bus station - it was definitely the 100, as seen here. This diversion didn't last very long, just over two years (1995-97), before the 100 reverted to running direct via the Mound with the 200 variant being dropped.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Quite a few 7900’s have started to move around as a result of just about all the eVoRa’s being out now. Looks as if the Eclipse2’s that had been getting used have been stood down again (173 has been getting used a little bit though).

Last edited by a moderator:
The shops (if you can call them shops) on Multrees Walk along with the offices connected to the current bus station I’m sure the footprint were all one time part of the old bus station. When you compare the current one to others in Scotland (especially Buchanan) it’s a shame that Edinburgh’s is just so poor.

Quite a few 7900’s have started to move around as a result of just about all the eVoRa’s being out now. Looks as if the Eclipse2’s that had been getting used have been stood down again (173 has been getting used a little bit though).
Are any of the 7900's going (Temporarily) to LothianCountry or EastCoastBuses?