• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Lobuster

18 of the new buses are coming to Marine, apparently.
Just noticed this evening that the trackers for 651-698 have also been switched on very recently (they were not on a few weeks back). Could this be a possibility the order is indeed 98 buses?

Aye, it quickly left service around 2 hours after entering service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I’m not allowed to say obviously

We’ll find out soon enough anyway
So it's an internal source then? If that's the case then it's understandable if you don't want to give any more away. However, all you have to do is explain that the information is internal and you can't say too much.

Lobuster

Ok, not too sure of the etiquette on here regards info sharing, don’t want to trip myself or anyone else up either, hope it’s true regardless and yes it’s an internal source
So it's an internal source then? If that's the case then it's understandable if you don't want to give any more away. However, all you have to do is explain that the information is internal and you can't say too much.

If this is true would some of the Gemini 2's move to another depot?.
I had thought they could to be replace the ex London B9s at Marine and the native 2011 B9s at Marine (to allow them to go elsewhere) but I've counted them up and there's about 22 vehicles between those two groups, and it seems unlikely to me that 18 vehicles would be replacing 22 (then again, 4 vehicles isn't much to lose out of all the fleet at Marine). I don't think there are any other small groups of vehicles at Marine though, there's about 25 or 30 of the Zoo B5s and there's 50 2009 B9s so 18 vehicles couldn't completely replace either of those groups.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I had thought they could to be replace the ex London B9s at Marine and the native 2011 B9s at Marine (to allow them to go elsewhere) but I've counted them up and there's about 22 vehicles between those two groups, and it seems unlikely to me that 18 vehicles would be replacing 22 (then again, 4 vehicles isn't much to lose out of all the fleet at Marine). I don't think there are any other small groups of vehicles at Marine though, there's about 25 or 30 of the Zoo B5s and there's 50 2009 B9s so 18 vehicles couldn't completely replace either of those groups.

I could personally see the bulk of the new buses being split between Longstone and Marine, with the zoo buses and London deckers going to Central.

Would give a good mix of average fleet age at each garage then.

That's officially all 13 plate B7RLE Wright Eclipse 2's in the Lothian fleet transferred to Lothian Country with the addition of SN13 BFP (189).

Image below is a screenshot of SN13 BFP 189 on bustimes.org at the Lothian Country Buses vehicles section.
Screenshot_20210430-105013_DuckDuckGo.jpg

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I am guessing that Wright Eclipses 171-175 will be joining the training fleet.

Given it's been stated on this thread there will be up to 4 (or 5?) training buses and 167/8/9/70 are the remaining 58 plates that have been photographed (and posted here) converted to training buses i'd say no. Possibly 171? Someone else might know better.

From what i've heard they'll be needed quite soon as there's been no recruitment for well over a year now with drivers retiring/moving on etc.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Given it's been stated on this thread there will be up to 4 (or 5?) training buses and 167/8/9/70 are the remaining 58 plates that have been photographed (and posted here) converted to training buses i'd say no. Possibly 171? Someone else might know better.

From what i've heard they'll be needed quite soon as there's been no recruitment for well over a year now with drivers retiring/moving on etc.
I've noticed that 172 & 174 are not at Newbridge - according to trackers they are two at Seafield. 171/3/5 all at Newbridge

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just a thought but maybe for the 45?
45 when it does come back in full should still be a Marine route, I’d have thought they should have just about enough 7900’s already to cover it when it does. 174 is probably not to be used atmo and there’s still a few spare 7900’s to use first before the last few out of use Eclipse2’s make a return.

Lothianbus703

45 when it does come back in full should still be a Marine route, I’d have thought they should have just about enough 7900’s already to cover it when it does. 174 is probably not to be used atmo and there’s still a few spare 7900’s to use first before the last few out of use Eclipse2’s make a return.
I'm starting to wonder if 171 - 175 will ever comes into service again as we have 50 7900's

Is 174 still there as on the tracker it isn't at longstone

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I'm starting to wonder if 171 - 175 will ever comes into service again as we have 50 7900's

Is 174 still there as on the tracker it isn't at longstone

It was my bad, it was an LCB B7RLE in poor lighting and not 174.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please remember that when referring to external sources, a relevant quotation, within quote tags, is required as well as the link to the source. Thanks.

SpeedbirdA350

Posting again as it was deleted... The Source is from an email, not sure how I can link to that. Put inside a quote.

Ensign took in
From Lothian Buses : Volvo B9TL’s SK07CAA / CAE / CAO / CAU / CAV SN57GNJ / GNK

Sold from Ensign
Volvo B7RLE SN57DCO : Happly Als, Liverpool.
Volvo B7RLE SK07CGV : Roselyn Coaches, Par, Cornwall.
Volvo B9TL SN57GMX : Wheelers Travel, Southampton.
Trident V517ESC : Scarborough Suncruisers.
Volvo B9TL’s SK07CAA / CAE / CAO / CAU / CAV / SN57GNK : Catteralls Coaches, Southam, Warwicks.
Volvo B7RLE SK07CGX : Ricardo UK Ltd, Shoreham.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Please remember that when referring to external sources, a relevant quotation, within quote tags, is required as well as the link to the source. Thanks.

For anyone's future reference, you can search this post right here to sign up/view the Ensign fleet list with this link (this link will allow you to view lothian fleet sales in and out to and from Ensign Bus ;

Humberscot

The Lothian way is three digit fleet codes. Im led to believe we're going back to this - i dont think current fleet will be renumbered, though.
I did like a consecutive numbering system I have to say. When I came up to Edinburgh Uni in 1987 it was neat how the numbering fitted into a series from the 1974 N-reg Atlanteans from 401 consecutively up to the 1985 C-reg Olympians (794 I think was the last?). Then again from the 1999 Dennis Trident 501 batch to 2009's Volvo B9TLs, (up to 936) so it can be done.

Last edited: