Low Moor - new station - now open

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by crispy1978, 30 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy1978

crispy1978 Member

http://m.northernrail.org/news/7749

Apologies if this has been posted already but couldn't see it on search!

Last edited: 30 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

This is so frustrating... Keith Wakefield says the new station will be within easy access of the M62/M606 Interchange... But it'll be within even easier access of the only intermediate junction of the M606 if only access was provided. No, far better to encourage even more traffic through a very busy junction which already causes nearby towns to become gridlocked! :roll:

4. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Was the matter of curved platforms one reason why this station stuttered to a halt at the development stage?

How far is the new station site removed from the old station site?

Last edited: 30 Aug 2015
  5. 61653 HTAFC

That was an issue, though not as big an obstacle as getting the green light for funding. I think (but I'm not sure) that a derogation was granted allowing a slightly curved construction.

6. crispy1978

crispy1978 Member

It is more expensive I understand with a curved structure. That was mentioned on the Wikipedia page, which does state that was a reason for the delay.

7. 55z

55z Member

Three problems for the delay for Low Moor station
    1. Curved platform not allowed now so derogation had to be obtained.
    2. funding
    3. Land issue, although all the land for station/access/car parks could be purchased except a small piece of land which needed a compulsory purchase order. Little land remained in railway ownership.
    The station platforms are on the Halifax side of the road bridge wheras the old station platforms were on the Bradiord side of the same road bridge.

8. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

What is the station site like for viewing progress? I assume the nearby road bridge is best?

9. quantinghome

quantinghome Member

You wait 15 years for a new station, then three come along at once...

10. AndyHudds

AndyHudds Member

Still no sight of Elland station in the not too distant future though.

11. Xenophon PCDGS

Thanks for this answer to my earlier-raised question. I had a feeling that this was the case, but was not sure.

12. 34D

34D Established Member

Will there be a walking route towards the Euroway estate?

13. 47802

47802 On Moderation

Well this will be the nearest to where I live although still about 3 miles away, but I'm somewhat sceptical as to the benefits of it, It will be interesting to see how it performs but I'm not overly convinced.

Possibly I could use to go to Manchester but then a change at Halifax will be a minus point, simpler to catch the bus to Dewsbury or Bradford and train from there.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2015
  14. Pinza-C55

Pinza-C55 Member

It seems to be a general rule that new railway stations or reopened railway stations perform better than expected.
    If it was busy in the old days it will be busy now, obviously allowing for the fact that any former branch lines/connecting services no longer exist.

15. 61653 HTAFC

For Low Moor to be a success, access from the M606 is essential. Though a better than hourly service will be, too.

16. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

What catchment area are you thinking a small local station will have, if you think people will be accessing it via the motorway network?

All of South Bradford, Cleckheaton, northern parts of Calderdale, Shelf, Birkenshaw perhaps, will be ok accessing via Cleckheaton Road.

17. lejog

lejog Established Member

I too am a bit puzzled by the need for a motorway link. AFAIK none has ever been planned or is planned for the future and it would add £millions to the cost. Although if anyone knows different it would be interesting to hear the details.

If the various capacity upgrades to the Calder Valley line planned for CP5 actually happen then Low Moor will likely get a second tph, but it wouid be a local West Yorkshire service, something like a Leeds - Brighouse - Leeds stopper, so unlikely to attract traffic from the motorway network.

18. Grumpy

Grumpy Member

I had to catch a train at Burley Park yesterday. Typical former W Yorks PTE wooden halt . Built cheap but served its purpose-nearly 600k pa users putting it almost in the top 30% UK stations by usage. It’s on a curve but that doesn’t seem to have been a problem. Certainly the passengers weren’t quaking at the thought of stepping up from a wooden platform built on a curve. The car park was full ie the two spaces for non-disabled were taken whilst the disabled space was unused (as most of them seem to be elsewhere)
    Today I walked through Otley bus station. I don’t know the annual usage but I suspect several times that of Burley Park and many more routes. This doesn’t have any electronic displays showing when the next bus is due, where it stops, or which bay, but the passengers ( probably on average 40 years older than Burley Park’s) seem to manage with simple printed timetables.
    I realise this has been discussed on these forums before, but the delays at the likes of Low Moor, Haxby etc are largely caused by the difficulties justifying and funding high cost of provision as a direct result of the gross over-specification

19. 61653 HTAFC

My comments on a link to the Euroway Trading Estate Junction of the M606 were more based on the fact that the station will be right next to this junction, but Councillor Wakefield emphasised the proximity of the station not to this less-congested and underused junction but to the far busier and more-distant M62/M606 Interchange near Heckmondwike which already causes near-gridlock in both Hecky and Clecky at peak times. The former Transperience museum site at Low Moor could be flattened to create a large car park which if coupled with a better than hourly service would have potential to serve as a well-used Park and Ride facility for the city of Bradford. The motorway network in this part of the world is well-used for relatively short trips in addition to the more typical longer-distance journeys from Manchester and Sheffield.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2015
  20. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

You are of course correct; a combination of Boiling Frogs (to use the Modern Railways term) and much higher standards, mean that worthwhile stations are taking huge amounts of time and money to bring to fruition - or, indeed, not happening at all.

21. 61653 HTAFC

WYPTE's history of using low-cost solutions to new stations during the 80s and 90s (Slaithwaite, Deighton, Cottingley, Berry Brow to name just a few) undoubtedly brought a big boost to passenger numbers at a time when the growth we see today would have been unimaginable. However, given that both Slaithwaite and Deighton will now need extending in the next few months, the fact that this method of construction is no longer permitted means that to extend these stations is likely to need a complete rebuild.

22. Welshman

Welshman Established Member

My experience of Low Moor station towards the end of its former life was that it was far from busy.

It seemed to be more of an operational convenience - adjacent the large mpd and the place where the portions of Manchester-Bradford Exchange/Leeds Central trains were divided and joined-up.

Indeed, after dmus were introduced to the Calder Valley in 1962, and trains began the practice of reversing at Bradford to and from Leeds, its closure soon followed.

23. lejog

lejog Established Member

The use of the Transperience site as a car park was explicity ruled out as being too far from the station. (Google leads to this document which states it would be a 988m/8min walk in each direction). IIRC land off Dealburn Rd has been purchased if there is any need to expand the initial car park.

In the specific case of accessing Low Moor I agree with Andyh82 that the likely catchment area is adequately served by Cleakheaton Rd, but whatever the pros and cons, direct access from the motorway has never been part of the plan and isn't going to happen.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2015
  24. BantamMenace

BantamMenace Member

Sorry for such a basic question but which services are planned to stop here and how often?

25. Haydn1971

Haydn1971 Established Member

Probably all the services that stop at Halifax - there was at one stage a station also planned for Hipperholme too.

26. Welshman

Welshman Established Member

I thought I'd read somewhere that it would be only the Bradford-Huddersfield services, and not the Leeds-Manchesters.

Hence the complaint that one train per hour is not sufficient for a park and ride station.

27. quantinghome

quantinghome Member

Cottingley was extended not long ago using a wooden framework.

28. 61653 HTAFC

The latter is correct: initially just the Selby to Huddersfield services will call, though I believe Grand Central also plan to call there.

Oh... Perhaps the Slaithwaite and Deighton issues won't be such a problem then. Though they need to get a move on or it'll be local door only on 185s, which will be fun!

29. lejog

lejog Established Member

As others have said it is certainly only 1tph currently for Northern services. When both Bradford-Manchester services have been speeded up by omitting all intermediate stops in Greater Manchester apart from Rochdale, it would be really taking the **** by WYMetro to slow the services down by stopping them at Low Moor. The Calder Valley line is planned to have something like £70m spent on it during CP5 to reduce journey times, not increase them. As I said earlier in this thread.

It could just be a Leeds to Halifax service, stopping at the new third platform at Halifax. Whatever the general idea is strengthen capacity at both ends of the Calder Valley line by running stopping local services and running faster through trains stopping at larger stations only.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2015
  30. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

When people mention a third platform at Halifax, I am left wondering if that is the best place? Could Brighouse be a better place for a terminating point considering the potential for Elland to rejoin the network.

31. Xenophon PCDGS

Oh for those good old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway days when stations got built as a matter of course. They opened Hipperholme station in 1850. It closed for passengers in 1953 (when I was eight years of age) and for goods in 1966

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.