• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low Moor - new station - now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuggler

Signs at Bramley (Yorks) refer to Blackpool and York but the Blackpool to York service doesn't stop there.
Present service at Bramley is three tph up from 2 pH a few years ago....

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Cant ever remember it being a a 2 ph service during the week. It Used to be 4 when the Blackpool and York trains stopped there. The other week a Blackpool train did stop due to previous service cancellation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Frankly, I do wonder what the point is of "Metro" anymore.

I've often wondered the same. It may as well be left up to the five councils to deal with public transport which would make more sense.

The p**s poor way of the latest opening shows that WYCA / Metro can no longer be a***d to do a proper job of advertising the station, times and facilities. They seem happy to do away with the full West Yorkshire timetable book but are quick to defend their dreadful bus timetables, both in poster and leaflet format.

jbg

I've often wondered the same. It may as well be left up to the five councils to deal with public transport which would make more sense.

The p**s poor way of the latest opening shows that WYCA / Metro can no longer be a***d to do a proper job of advertising the station, times and facilities. They seem happy to do away with the full West Yorkshire timetable book but are quick to defend their dreadful bus timetables, both in poster and leaflet format.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to give a single TOC the job of publishing the timetables for a county wants a good kick.

Andyh82

Established Member
I think Metro were the last PTE to still do train timetables. Merseytravel do it's kind of different as it's mostly just Merseyrail. I can't recall a time any time recently when GMPTE were ever responsible for the main paper train timetables.

How would replacing one organisation with 5 duplicated organisations do a better job?

They'd have the same money or probably less as it would be in their overall control to cut the budget.

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
How would replacing one organisation with 5 duplicated organisations do a better job?

They'd have the same money or probably less as it would be in their overall control to cut the budget.

For starters Bradford council would have promoted Low Moor and Apperley Bridge and probably got the chairman / Mayor to open the stations, likewise with Leeds City Council who probably would have done the same with Kirkstall Forge.

Each council would roughly have more cash if its going to be replicated five times over, with the cash being used mostly to keep the evening, rural and Sunday services going.

All timetable publications would be dealt with by the operator.

Each council has a representitive who can liason with the other four councils on cross boundary services.

jbg

I think Metro were the last PTE to still do train timetables. Merseytravel do it's kind of different as it's mostly just Merseyrail. I can't recall a time any time recently when GMPTE were ever responsible for the main paper train timetables.

Do Derbyshire no longer produce them?

And Merseytravel do the City Lines, and they're Northern (or at least that was the case last time I looked).

Last edited:

jbg

For starters Bradford council would have promoted Low Moor and Apperley Bridge and probably got the chairman / Mayor to open the stations, likewise with Leeds City Council who probably would have done the same with Kirkstall Forge.

Each council would roughly have more cash if its going to be replicated five times over, with the cash being used mostly to keep the evening, rural and Sunday services going.

All timetable publications would be dealt with by the operator.

Each council has a representitive who can liason with the other four councils on cross boundary services.

At one time, Metro had a separate enquires number for each area.

jbg

The problem we have at the moment is that one operator does the timetables, and other TOCs the refuse to put them on public display, (Huddersfield) because they're not their timetables.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

GMPTE last published full route-by-route train timetables in the mid/late 90s. Although formatted nicely to match bus timetables (and the briefly-produced Metrolink timetables), they were a bit rubbish in not bothering to show all stations that trains called at outside of Greater Manchester.

TfGM still (I think) produce the "Commuter card" type timetables between individual stations and Manchester Stations, but have (at least in my lifetime) never produced an all-routes timetable book. In my view, that's never really been necessary, given the largely hub-and-spoke layout of the GM Rail network

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
West Yorkshire is only marginally less "hub & spoke" than Greater Manchester. The focus is very much on getting lots of people into Leeds in the morning and out again in the evening. Just look at the poor or non-existent service that most non-Leeds services get on a Sunday for example.

Bantamzen

Established Member
West Yorkshire is only marginally less "hub & spoke" than Greater Manchester. The focus is very much on getting lots of people into Leeds in the morning and out again in the evening. Just look at the poor or non-existent service that most non-Leeds services get on a Sunday for example.

Indeed, although that changes for some at the Dec 17 timetable (hopefully).

Bantamzen

Established Member
So I hear... for now even Leeds locals are terrible on a Sunday, 1tp2h from Huddersfield to Leeds for example. <(

Yeah, it's a less than useless timing. I'm not sure about that route from the end of the year, but the Bradford - Ilkley/Skiptons go to hourly at long last! It's only been more at least a decade since the 650s to Ilkley were pulled by FirstBradford leaving practically a zero service until the afternoon! At least Low Moor got London services from the off! :D

Crossover

Established Member
Yeah, it's a less than useless timing. I'm not sure about that route from the end of the year, but the Bradford - Ilkley/Skiptons go to hourly at long last! It's only been more at least a decade since the 650s to Ilkley were pulled by FirstBradford leaving practically a zero service until the afternoon! At least Low Moor got London services from the off! :D

I was talking with Starmill about this yesterday evening - the first service from Low Moor was the London one (seems that 180114 took the honours!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

In theory, HUD to LDS intermediate stops will get 2tph (apart from Ravensthorpe which I assume will be hourly) but they'll be TPE skip-stoppers full of Hull passengers.

Just had my first visit to LMR, it's a very well-appointed station but easy to see why new stations cost so much!

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Do Derbyshire no longer produce them?

Derbyshire no longer produces the free rail timetable which mean that Ilkeston is the first station to have never been mentioned in a Derbyshire timetable book, the bus ones continue though.

At one time, Metro had a separate enquires number for each area.

Forgot to add to the list, MetroLine would be retained.

---

Hopefully in the next decade Cleckheaton, Liversedge and Heckmondwike will get their stations back (Cleckheaton Central was nicked), which means Low Moor would gain either a platform 0 or a platform 3 - working it off Halifax then it'll be likely to be the first small station to gain a platform 0.

Last edited:

jbg

Derbyshire no longer produces the free rail timetable which mean that Ilkeston is the first station to have never been mentioned in a Derbyshire timetable book, the bus ones continue though.

I thought they were 50p at one time.

Forgot to add to the list, MetroLine would be retained.

No shortage of "Travel-lines" around the country.

---

Hopefully in the next decade Cleckheaton, Liversedge and Heckmondwike will get their stations back (Cleckheaton Central was nicked), which means Low Moor would gain either a platform 0 or a platform 3 - working it off Halifax then it'll be likely to be the first small station to gain a platform 0.

If they'd had their way, we'd have had trams between there and Dewsbury.

Andyh82

Established Member
The problem we have at the moment is that one operator does the timetables, and other TOCs the refuse to put them on public display, (Huddersfield) because they're not their timetables.

I think that's a local issue to one station rather than a policy, in my experience all timetables for all operators are stocked. This is the case at Bradford (run by Northern), at Wakefield (run by Virgin) etc.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can I remind members that this thread is about Low Moor. Anyone wishing to discuss other station or line reopening proposals is requested to use an existing thread dedicated to that purpose or create a new one should one not currently exist.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Fingers crossed.

Your point about the 268 / (A) timetables is a very valid one.

Arriva as a Company, is very poor in acknowledging (yes I did check the spelling) other parts of its group. The Time-tables that Northern printed for yesterdays commencement of services misses all the Grand Central services off.

Apart from it seems when there is a strike:

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/industrial-action

You will be able to use tickets on Arriva Bus services (including Yorkshire Tiger) on 8 April to make journeys you would otherwise have made by rail.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member

The new Low Moor station is on the west side of Cleckheaton Road while the old station and the junction to the Spen Valley line were on the east side. Therefore the new station could not serve future trains from Bradford to Cleckheaton unless they reinstated the south side of the Low Moor triangle and the trains reversed.

SAS1979

The new Low Moor station is on the west side of Cleckheaton Road while the old station and the junction to the Spen Valley line were on the east side. Therefore the new station could not serve future trains from Bradford to Cleckheaton unless they reinstated the south side of the Low Moor triangle and the trains reversed.

Couldn't it just have a platfrom where this line is?

790e1d9b0f.jpg

Established Member
Couldn't it just have a platfrom where this line is?

790e1d9b0f.jpg

Well possibly, in any case I don't envisage the Spen Valley line coming back anytime soon and if it did, I think a Tram/Train solution might be more suitable for the route now.

In any case none of this is really relevant to Low Moor. Its now the closest station to where I live but its still 3 miles away therefore for local traffic its of no use to me, for such as Manchester it would be useful if Manchester Trains stopped there and the GC service may be of use. Even for those living closer to the Station I think it needs 2 Trains per hour and 1 going to Manchester for it to be successful. Hopefully when Bradford gets an extra train to Manchester per hour it can be accommodated.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can I remind posters this thread is for discussion of the opening of Low Moor station. It is likely that there will now be a declining amount to discuss, but that does not mean that off-topic discussion of other lines/stations/hairbrained schemes is permitted.

Grumpy

Just had my first visit to LMR, it's a very well-appointed station but easy to see why new stations cost so much!

Indeed. All the usual nonsenses. eg covered bicycle rack(with no bicycles). Why do they put covers on bicycle racks but they cant spend money on some simple form of canopy over the area where people are queueing to use the ticket machine?
I caught the 1026 KX train this morning but I was the only user. There were only 17 cars in the car park but I suppose it's early days yet.

quantinghome

Established Member
Indeed. All the usual nonsenses. eg covered bicycle rack(with no bicycles). Why do they put covers on bicycle racks but they cant spend money on some simple form of canopy over the area where people are queueing to use the ticket machine?

It's a fair comment, but a bike rack cover and other unnecessary 'nonsenses' will be an insignificant proportion of the overall cost. The big ticket items (car park, pedestrian bridge, lifts, lighting, dealing with mine workings) are all done for a reason. The photo on the Wikipedia page suggests they've gone for a 'functional' rather than 'fancy' public realm - there's no gold/bronze cladding like Wakefield Westgate, tarmac platform surface rather than block paving etc.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's a fair comment, but a bike rack cover and other unnecessary 'nonsenses' will be an insignificant proportion of the overall cost. The big ticket items (car park, pedestrian bridge, lifts, lighting, dealing with mine workings) are all done for a reason. The photo on the Wikipedia page suggests they've gone for a 'functional' rather than 'fancy' public realm - there's no gold/bronze cladding like Wakefield Westgate, tarmac platform surface rather than block paving etc.

The mine workings issue was an extra cost that wouldn't necessarily affect every proposed new station, but would providing ramps have been more expensive than lifts? Other than the lifts, Low Moor is relatively "no frills" as you say, but even that was expensive, even without the ground issues.

quantinghome

Established Member
The mine workings issue was an extra cost that wouldn't necessarily affect every proposed new station, but would providing ramps have been more expensive than lifts? Other than the lifts, Low Moor is relatively "no frills" as you say, but even that was expensive, even without the ground issues.

I suspect the answer to "ramps or lifts?" is "it depends". Apperley Bridge got ramps so it's clear either is acceptable, but ramps can't be massively cheaper in general otherwise they'd have them everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.