• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low Moor - new station - now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

It's a fair comment, but a bike rack cover and other unnecessary 'nonsenses' will be an insignificant proportion of the overall cost. The big ticket items (car park, pedestrian bridge, lifts, lighting, dealing with mine workings) are all done for a reason. The photo on the Wikipedia page suggests they've gone for a 'functional' rather than 'fancy' public realm - there's no gold/bronze cladding like Wakefield Westgate, tarmac platform surface rather than block paving etc.

But it all adds up. I seem to recall there was lots of palisade fencing around the site-why have this when people can get on the track from the platforms?
Lots of money spent on CCTV cameras but small waiting shelters, probably inadequate in the rain for the passengers- with seating comprising an uncomfortable narrow steel rail. As someone else has pointed out a direct exit from the westbound platform southward (not just to the cycleway) would have saved some passengers having to cross the footbridge and car park to reach the main road. Such an exit might have allowed the lift to be cut.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suspect the answer to "ramps or lifts?" is "it depends". Apperley Bridge got ramps so it's clear either is acceptable, but ramps can't be massively cheaper in general otherwise they'd have them everywhere.

I'd expect that lifts have a higher maintenance cost once installed though.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I thought local authorities are contributing towards costs so presumably they have a hand in how convenient the facilities are. Regarding cycle provision, it may be that this will at least encourage some use, as opposed to the nil use at present.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I paid a quick visit to the station last Saturday and was surprised to see that the only TVM did not accept coins or banknotes, only cards. There were also signs saying (in effect) that penalty fares apply. So what are people without bankcards, e.g. schoolchildren or foreigners or people who have simply left their cards at home, meant to do?

There were also no timetable posters in the car park, which is high above the platforms, only an electronic departure screen. I didn't walk or take the lift go down to the platforms (its a long way down) to check if there were timetables there. I saw a couple of old ladies just having a look around and getting quite frustrated at the lack of information.

The bays in the car park also struck me as quite narrow meaning people might struggle to get in and out of their vehicles.

All in all, sadly, an unwelcoming station.

Last edited:

Grumpy

However typical of others in West Yorkshire. Last year I had a look at the relatively new Sand Lake road station on the Sunrail route around Orlando. I suspect this will have a similar level of usage as Low Moor but gives an interesting comparison on attitudes to customer service. Thus Sand Lake has several canopies on the platforms to protect passengers from the weather. The seats may have been steel but there were plenty of them, they had a recognisable shape. I believe there was more than one ticket machine and under cover (no queueing in the rain). However there was no footbridge/lift and only a barrow-type crossing which had a flashing red light to warn passengers of approaching trains. The passengers seemed ok with this.

I suspect Sand Lake cost much less than Low Moor but passengers will find it a more pleasant experience

Crossover

Established Member
I paid a quick visit to the station last Saturday and was surprised to see that the only TVM did not accept coins or banknotes, only cards. There were also signs saying (in effect) that penalty fares apply. So what are people without bankcards, e.g. schoolchildren or foreigners or people who have simply left their cards at home, meant to do?

There were also no timetable posters in the car park, which is high above the platforms, only an electronic departure screen. I didn't walk or take the lift go down to the platforms (its a long way down) to check if there were timetables there. I saw a couple of old ladies just having a look around and getting quite frustrated at the lack of information.

The bays in the car park also struck me as quite narrow meaning people might struggle to get in and out of their vehicles.

I believe there are timetables on the platforms - one on each platform relevant to the direction from what I recall. I hadn't considered the lack of timetables at the car park itself

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I suspect Sand Lake cost much less than Low Moor but passengers will find it a more pleasant experience

Unless or until an accident takes place in said crossing.

As a society we have made a different call about the value of such safety precautions and the railway is only reflecting this.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I paid a quick visit to the station last Saturday and was surprised to see that the only TVM did not accept coins or banknotes, only cards.

I don't believe there are any unstaffed stations on Northern where you can pay cash. There were some (e.g. Saltaire) but they were removed. Although Northern do serve unstaffed stations managed by other TOCs where you can pay cash, e.g. Bartetby, Frodsham or Ilkeston

Last edited:

Established Member
Unless or until an accident takes place in said crossing.

As a society we have made a different call about the value of such safety precautions and the railway is only reflecting this.

Or they don't have UK Health and Safety where we are all complete morons unable to assess risk and have to be protected from ourselves.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Or they don't have UK Health and Safety where we are all complete morons unable to assess risk and have to be protected from ourselves.

These are one and the same thing. The attitude our society takes to risk.

Andyh82

Established Member
Is there a rule now that new stations have to be fully accessible within railway property, as surely when a station is built next to a road bridge, any sort of bridge or lifts could be avoided, and just use the road bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.