• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low Moor - new station - now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jbg

Actually, more seriously, the description of the present exit provision did not make me feel I would like my teenage daughter to be getting off a late train (see the map). Both ways, described above, took you either through a wooded path, or through an industrial estate, instead of direct onto the main road. I suppose she would have to be instructed to use the lift or stairs to the other side or met and greeted by Dad or brother, especially if she lived well south of the station.

Perhaps someone local could put me right, if so.

No, just walk through a well illuminated car-park.

Established Member
Despite now being the nearest station to where I live, I have been inclined to think that this station is a waste of time and money especially with the level of local timetable being offered. I had a quick look at the station last night and hadn't realised until reading this thread yesterday that GC are going to stop there which maybe of more use.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Despite now being the nearest station to where I live, I have been inclined to think that this station is a waste of time and money especially with the level of local timetable being offered. I had a quick look at the station last night and hadn't realised until reading this thread yesterday that GC are going to stop there which maybe of more use.

At lot of people thought the same about Apperley Bridge, and that doesn't have the advantage of being on a regular bus route (although disappointingly Low Moor doesn't appear on the timetables of the 268/268A as a major stop). Of course it doesn't have the half hourly service which has made Apperley a sucess, but if enough folk use the current services perhaps Northern will be able to path at least one Manchester service to call there too.

jbg

At lot of people thought the same about Apperley Bridge, and that doesn't have the advantage of being on a regular bus route (although disappointingly Low Moor doesn't appear on the timetables of the 268/268A as a major stop). Of course it doesn't have the half hourly service which has made Apperley a sucess, but if enough folk use the current services perhaps Northern will be able to path at least one Manchester service to call there too.

Fingers crossed.

Your point about the 268 / (A) timetables is a very valid one.

Arriva as a Company, is very poor in acknowledging (yes I did check the spelling) other parts of its group. The Time-tables that Northern printed for yesterdays commencement of services misses all the Grand Central services off.

HowardGWR

Established Member
No, just walk through a well illuminated car-park.
Thanks. I presume this is on the north side of the station? There does not seem to be a station plan on the national web sites yet, nor on the TfWY Metro site.

Update: Found this.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/LMR/details.html

I had input 'plan' to Google instead of 'map'.:oops:

Update2: However, clicking on 'local area map' tab just gives "Oh no! We can't find that page". :(

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Fingers crossed.

Your point about the 268 / (A) timetables is a very valid one.

Arriva as a Company, is very poor in acknowledging (yes I did check the spelling) other parts of its group. The Time-tables that Northern printed for yesterdays commencement of services misses all the Grand Central services off.

You know I had for a moment totally forgotten about the Arriva connection. But it does highlight a serious point about timetabling, in particular where there are possible modal-changes. From a PTE point of view you would expect Metro to insist on bus companies who operate past stations, particularly new ones like Low Moor to highlight the possible connections and where frequency isn't so good even try to timetable to link with the rail services (obviously not needed in this case with a service every 10 mins in each direction). Some might argue that this would be to the detriment of the bus company who might lose a number of through fares into Bradford in this case, but similarly they may attract new passengers connecting to the station. Plus many of the passengers already changing will likely be MCard or similar carriers, so the fare loss will not be as great.

We have never been very good at joined up thinking when it comes to transport, its a real bugbear of mine!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You know I had for a moment totally forgotten about the Arriva connection. But it does highlight a serious point about timetabling, in particular where there are possible modal-changes. From a PTE point of view you would expect Metro to insist on bus companies who operate past stations, particularly new ones like Low Moor to highlight the possible connections and where frequency isn't so good even try to timetable to link with the rail services (obviously not needed in this case with a service every 10 mins in each direction). Some might argue that this would be to the detriment of the bus company who might lose a number of through fares into Bradford in this case, but similarly they may attract new passengers connecting to the station. Plus many of the passengers already changing will likely be MCard or similar carriers, so the fare loss will not be as great.

We have never been very good at joined up thinking when it comes to transport, its a real bugbear of mine!

I don't think a PTE can compel a bus operator to divert a commercial service to somewhere they don't want to.

Crossover

Established Member

The only GC that doesn't call weekdays is 1A70 0754 Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross, which is the second one of the day after the 0655. Weekends it looks like they all call.

Thanks. I presume this is on the north side of the station? There does not seem to be a station plan on the national web sites yet, nor on the TfWY Metro site.

Update: Found this.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/LMR/details.html

I had input 'plan' to Google instead of 'map'.:oops:

Update2: However, clicking on 'local area map' tab just gives "Oh no! We can't find that page". :(

Yes, north side. Access via New Works Road - see here for photo from last September - this is now the car park entrance
https://goo.gl/maps/5MFV7fgFM572

There is also pedestrian access on the corner, somewhere where this mud patch is - you can practically walk in a straight line from here to the bridge that connects to the two platforms
https://goo.gl/maps/QMXWhiURpbx

Crossover

Established Member
You'd certainly know if it did. The last time it went bang seriously was in 1992, though there have been more recent issues, still big enough to be felt miles away as tremors.

Is there any warning that they test the alarm? Could be quite alarming considering the signs if you're not aware! Info here: https://www.basf.com/gb/en/company/about-us/Locations/Bradford.html

An explosion back in 1916 during picric acid production claimed 34 lives and reduced much of the stock stored in adjacent sidings to matchwood, even more being damaged.

See attached photo of the warning sign posted on each platform (apologies it is sideways). It lists the times of the testing of the alarms

Attachments

• IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I don't think a PTE can compel a bus operator to divert a commercial service to somewhere they don't want to.

I'm not necessarily suggesting diverting routes (though it would be handy in the case of Apperley Bridge where First terminate the regular 645 Bradford/Buttershaw service just a few stops up the hill at Greengates junction), but a least where they are currently routed past existing / new stations make an effort to make this clear and wherever possible time them where rail services are less frequent.

At the end of the day, the more people that use these stations where bus services are visible and fairly regular the more likely people are to use them. Train and bus companies seem to often be in competition when closer working could actually be mutually beneficial.

jbg

I'm not necessarily suggesting diverting routes (though it would be handy in the case of Apperley Bridge where First terminate the regular 645 Bradford/Buttershaw service just a few stops up the hill at Greengates junction), but a least where they are currently routed past existing / new stations make an effort to make this clear and wherever possible time them where rail services are less frequent.

At the end of the day, the more people that use these stations where bus services are visible and fairly regular the more likely people are to use them. Train and bus companies seem to often be in competition when closer working could actually be mutually beneficial.

Even when they are the same company.

jbg

Yes Minister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcMA0MFdNZQ

Last edited:

M1544

It's actually not too much of a problem to get to Manchester from Low Moor even with changing if you think about it. Weekdays board the Huddersfield train and change at Halifax and the train 5 minutes behind is the Man vic service from the same platform at Halifax with the service pattern most of the day.
The screens at Low Moor station were working with platforms displayed this afternoon.

jbg

It's actually not too much of a problem to get to Manchester from Low Moor even with changing if you think about it. Weekdays board the Huddersfield train and change at Halifax and the train 5 minutes behind is the Man vic service from the same platform at Halifax with the service pattern most of the day.
The screens at Low Moor station were working with platforms displayed this afternoon.

It was more the lack of a mention of Huddersfield that I was nonplussed about.

Andyh82

Established Member

I can't see any reason why rail stations must be used as timing points within bus timetables, unless it is operationally the best place to wait time they won't be. To take an extreme example Leeds Station Interchange isn't a timing point.

Journey planners will work correctly, and the local bus stops will have timetables specific to that location.

Extending the 645 to Apperley Bridge would probably need at least two more buses adding to the cycle, two buses that Metro would have to fund.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Tried to buy a ticket to Low Moor this evening turns out that STAR Mobile does not even register that the station exists, neither for that matter does NRE!
It highlights a problem where if I board a train at Smithy Bridge which is unstaffed and travel to Low Moor changing at Brighouse I currently cannot buy a ticket for that journey.
Sam

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Northern's own website cannot sell tickets to Low Moor. Which says it all really.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I really don't think there's an excuse for not having that ready for opening date, especially when it's so delayed.

jbg

I really don't think there's an excuse for not having that ready for opening date, especially when it's so delayed.

On Sunday, the Tannoy at Leeds was missing it out, when I pointed it out to platform staff, there was the usual answer of is it really. :neutral:

The Railways are good at this, spending millions on new station, then you can't buy a ticket to, or from it. PIS not working properly, signage irrelevant, no bin-bags in the hoops, no timetables available at the mainline stations at either end of the route, staff not even knowing where the trains go to, timetables that are available missing services off, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I can't see any reason why rail stations must be used as timing points within bus timetables, unless it is operationally the best place to wait time they won't be. To take an extreme example Leeds Station Interchange isn't a timing point.

Journey planners will work correctly, and the local bus stops will have timetables specific to that location.

Extending the 645 to Apperley Bridge would probably need at least two more buses adding to the cycle, two buses that Metro would have to fund.

I can't see why not, particularly when in PTE areas where the whole point is to promote use of public transport as a whole, not just for the benefit of individual operators. By simply adding an adjacent railway station as a timing point helps make passengers aware of the possible connections, as not everyone uses journey planners.

With regard to something like 645 service, there is almost 10 minutes flex in the current timetable at Bradford Interchange and Buttershaw, so even taking into account peak delays it is not an unreasonable request to ask First to extend the journey by a couple of minutes each way to service and increasingly busy railway station. Still the way First Bradford are heading, it will only be a matter of time before Transdev are operating in the area so maybe they would be more willing to look at options.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What i have always liked when i go to Germany particularly in Munich i found was that the U-Bahn had screens showing the tram and bus times from the next stop. Maps showing bus routes from each stop available too. All very sensible and made any journeys even to someone who does not speak German, very simple. Something i wish we would take a bit more of a proactive attitude to.

On Sunday, the Tannoy at Leeds was missing it out, when I pointed it out to platform staff, there was the usual answer of is it really. :neutral:

The Railways are good at this, spending millions on new station, then you can't buy a ticket to, or from it. PIS not working properly, signage irrelevant, no bin-bags in the hoops, no timetables available at the mainline stations at either end of the route, staff not even knowing where the trains go to, timetables that are available missing services off, etc etc etc.

Same when Apperley Bridge opened. Despite having months get the announcements updated on the Class 333's, come opening day, they still had the old announcements, and surprise, surprise, I remember 1 person been caught out and got off at Apperley Bridge instead of Shipley.

Crossover

Established Member

I (possibly we, Starmill?) were actually impressed that Low Moor was on the screens at Brighouse on Sunday (maybe says something about the world as it is that something that should be a given was impressive!)
Naturally, the GC announcements haven't been updated and Low Moor was only said by the guard during manual announcements - given how many years it took before Mirfield was added, I wouldn't expect Low Moor to be added this decade :P

What i have always liked when i go to Germany particularly in Munich i found was that the U-Bahn had screens showing the tram and bus times from the next stop. Maps showing bus routes from each stop available too. All very sensible and made any journeys even to someone who does not speak German, very simple. Something i wish we would take a bit more of a proactive attitude to.

I guess that's the point of having a PTE too - I agree that integrated transport needs to be promoted as integrated more than it often is at the moment

jbg

I (possibly we, Starmill?) were actually impressed that Low Moor was on the screens at Brighouse on Sunday (maybe says something about the world as it is that something that should be a given was impressive!)
Naturally, the GC announcements haven't been updated and Low Moor was only said by the guard during manual announcements - given how many years it took before Mirfield was added, I wouldn't expect Low Moor to be added this decade :P

I have it on good authority (my contact at GC,) that it was a last minute decision to start calling this weekend, and originally, they were going to wait until may.

jbg

I guess that's the point of having a PTE too - I agree that integrated transport needs to be promoted as integrated more than it often is at the moment

Frankly, I do wonder what the point is of "Metro" anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.