• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lowest capacity service bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosutsut

Here's the challenge - the lowest seated capacity vehicle capable of "normal service" on a publicly accessible route. Can be modern day or historic.

I'm going to define the qualifying criteria as:
* Proper fitted destination blind/display
* Power door(s)
* Ticket machine fitted

Question prompted by stumbling across this 12 seater conversion by Strathclyde that I'd never seen before:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Wee marshall darts that First Glasgow used to have didnt have many seats , mostly standing space

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Merseytravel for a bit operated some electric buses (lead acid batteries - near enough a converted milk float) which seated either 6 or 8, I forget. Of course that is not legally a bus at all, but rather a class B or C1 vehicle depending on weight - which means if it was over 3500kg you'd need a van driver, not a bus driver, to drive it! :)

RHolmes

Merseytravel for a bit operated some electric buses (lead acid batteries - near enough a converted milk float) which seated either 6 or 8, I forget. Of course that is not legally a bus at all, but rather a class B or C1 vehicle depending on weight - which means if it was over 3500kg you'd need a van driver, not a bus driver, to drive it! :)

They original 1998 batch of Technobus Gulivers had 9 seats but they didn’t have a ticket machine so can’t be counted here

Eyersey468

Established Member
The Transit minibuses that were bought by the National Bus Company in 1985/6 were 16 seaters.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Techno bus 8 seaters for Bristol Cityline late 90s. LHD, electric.

That's them:

13293240335_d0de999e48_b.jpg

Technobus in Merseytravel livery - not my photo

delt1c

Established Member
That's them:

13293240335_d0de999e48_b.jpg

Technobus in Merseytravel livery - not my photo
On one my visits to Italy, think it was Bologna but could be wrong they had a fleet of buses slightly smaller than these (2 axle) but what shocked me most they were 2 doors so very little room for seats.

randyrippley

Established Member
As far as I can remember Lancaster City Transport in the 1980s had a nine seater Ford Transit which was normally used as a crew shuttle / schoolbus but did go out on stage a few times with a hand-held ticket machine when they were short of minibuses

==edit==
thinking about it, it may have been a Sherpa. Everything else in the fleet came from Leyland...

Last edited:

jammy36

Truronian had three of these Volkswagen van-based Devon Conversions minibuses, which if I recall had around 10 high-backed (including some longitudinal) seats. They were used in regular service. They were new to Plymouth Citybus, but I'm not sure if they were used in service there.

CraigLockhart

I remember the Seddon midibuses that Edinburgh transport had in the 70s. They used to run on the 60 round dumbiedykes. Think they were 25 seats

AM9

Veteran Member
One of the most 'exhilarating' journeys on a bus that I've experienced was on the 481 Polperro to Polraun about 5 years ago. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't much bigger than a transit. The drop into Polraun was a bit white knuckle. o_O

overthewater

Established Member
What was the point in two door mini buses?

Look inside:

Converted to single door

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Look inside:

Converted to single door
Same purpose as dual-door big buses, I suppose - to speed up boarding and alighting in town/city centres.

PG

Established Member
I believe that they were the brainchild of the late Harry Blundred who was responsible for the minibus boom in the mid eighties. Some interesting reading on Harry in this article. (Apologies for not quoting as it's too long)

As @GusB has mentioned IIRC it was to speed up time spent stationary which Harry realised wasn't profitable.

As an aside it seems from the photo captions that a dual door minibus only cost 2 seats capacity wise so I guess it wasn't that big a deal bar it made them look odd!

Last edited:

awsnews

I would have suggested something used on the old Post Bus network but they don't quite meet the criteria.

alangla

For current vehicles this is pushing it a bit, but NCP have some Sprinters at Edinburgh airport with destination screens, power doors and very few seats due to the large luggage racks. Don’t have ticket machines as far as I’m aware though. In terms of things that do, the various accessible Sprinter conversions operated by McGills and others must be pretty small. The Ducatos before them had 2+1 seats IIRC.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Carlone Buses operate a trio of EVM-bodied Mercedes-Benz Sprinters on normal public stage carriage services. All are fully PSVAR compliant with front entrance rather than rear wheelchair lift, and the smallest is 16 seats + 9 standees. Some photos can be found at https://www.carlonelimited.co.uk/442

Bread van? You decide
  • Entry height 27 cm
  • 120 cm door rapid sliding with main door wheelchair access in seconds
  • 16 seats most fitted with three point seat belts + 9 standees
  • Air conditioning front and rear
  • Heating front and rear
  • Double glazed windows
  • USB charging ports
  • Full size destination equipment
  • Low floor section seating 6 passengers
  • Luggage space
  • Stop buttons
  • Assistance call buttons inside and out

We must thank Heathrow Airport and Surrey County Council for giving us the opportunity to run this route. Since we began in December 2016 we have seen three brand new vehicles enter service and a huge growth in passenger numbers, our 442 & x442 fleet consists of three EVM Low floor Mercedes-Benz Sprinters all three are Euro 6 and conform to DDA compliance just the same as a "Big Bus".

There are a few differences though we get 24 mpg and have a considerably lower impact on the Environment not just with emissions, noise pollution and road wear which are all huge factors, we can also nip through residential and narrow roads without fuss or causing congestion or nuisance and all without compromise on specification, we are also able to provide services where other vehicles just cannot access safely and this can be accomplished at a lower overall cost.

So should all bus routes have small buses? Of course not but we have proved they have a place and in many cases could well be the best option.

_toommm_

Established Member
The Enviro 200 Darts didn’t have many seats, especially the 8.9m??? version. I remember being thoroughly unimpressed by them when states Travel had them in Barnsley on the Stocksbridge buses.

RHolmes

The Enviro 200 Darts didn’t have many seats, especially the 8.9m??? version. I remember being thoroughly unimpressed by them when states Travel had them in Barnsley on the Stocksbridge buses.
They have 29 as standard, Same as the earlier MPD

PG

Established Member
This problem (lack of seats) is the essence of a modern DDA compliant bus - wheelchair user has to be able to get in the entrance, past the front axle (except for the likes of a Solo), have a space to park in and be able to manoeuvre into that space. This removes a good few seats compared to a pre DDA spec bus of equivalent length.

I'll admit bias here (my avatar pic kind of gives it away) but the Leyland National was (originally) 11.3m of which 1.2m was the front door. So for a fraction over 10m it had 52 seats (plus another 20 odd standees), I reckon a low floor DDA version would only have managed about 37 seats.

RustySpoons

'sgi', I believe they were a community bus operator in and around Leeds/Huddersfield. I seem to remember they had a few Wright Crusader Dennis Darts but with most of the seats removed to comply with the regulations at the time which stated community operators couldn't operate vehicles with more than 16 seats.... or something along those lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.