• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU 1992 Stock refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo T.K

Apologies if in wrong place im confused on where to put it anyway whats the known status so far of there refurbishment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

At least one unit is in Derby as a test unit for the new AC motors/traction packages.

Are they still building the new shed at Acton? Feels like that's been ongoing for years. Once that is done, then it'll be used to do the mods.

Presumably they have the same derogations as the 1972 stock so will need to be done before the end of the year.

goldenarrow

From the the May edition of LURS:

One train has the prototype traction package fitted, another with the internal layout changes and RVAR mods and another ready to be worked on. Rail Vehicle & Accessibility Regulations (RVAR) exemption for the 1992 stock runs up until the end of 2024.

Central Line Improvement Programme (CLIP) facility at Acton was projected to conclude this summer ready for full operations.

Mikey C

Established Member
Not sure if they could operate the Acton facility now with the lockdown restrictions, but with the current reduced service, it would be a perfect time to do the work

Dstock7080

Established Member
Not sure if they could operate the Acton facility now with the lockdown restrictions, but with the current reduced service, it would be a perfect time to do the work
The Acton facility has still to be completed and is one of the projects currently on hold.

Dstock7080

Established Member
What are the changes to the interior?
- new LED lighting
- new CIS/PIS displays (which obstruct top of windows)
- new wheelchair spaces in some cars
- possible change to seat height (not confirmed)
- deep clean/polish of surfaces

Mikey C

Established Member
- new LED lighting
I presume that's not essential for the RVAR mods, but would be a great improvement as the current seats are far too low. Uncomfortable for taller passengers, but also more of a struggle for the elderly/disabled to get up again!

MatthewRead

On Moderation
- new LED lighting
They were given an interior refresh in 2011 but I still think they are in good condition.

rebmcr

Established Member
I presume that's not essential for the RVAR mods, but would be a great improvement as the current seats are far too low. Uncomfortable for taller passengers, but also more of a struggle for the elderly/disabled to get up again!

I'm quite tall and I never even noticed, never mind had any problem.

Nym

Established Member
Pray tell how is it even sensible to make the seats higher?
Even if you only did priority I struggle to think on how much it would look c*** and. Be disproportionately expensive. Due to the seat assembly you wouldn't be able to raise the seat back in addition to it.

bramling

Veteran Member
- new LED lighting

Any mention of armrests?

Not that I think they're needed - we seem to have managed perfectly well for over two decades!

Nym

Established Member
Why spend money on new seats or armrests, the only reason the PIS displays are going in is because of RVAR, LED lighting is for a technical reason, not passenger environment, wheelchair spaces, RVAR, and the deep clean, well, yeah, more like replace all the floors because they're rotten anyway (anyone else notice the amount of tape holing the bubbles down on the floor at the moment?)

bramling

Veteran Member
Why spend money on new seats or armrests, the only reason the PIS displays are going in is because of RVAR, LED lighting is for a technical reason, not passenger environment, wheelchair spaces, RVAR, and the deep clean, well, yeah, more like replace all the floors because they're rotten anyway (anyone else notice the amount of tape holing the bubbles down on the floor at the moment?)

I wasn’t suggesting armrests should be fitted, I was merely querying whether they would be fitted, given they’re one of only two types of Underground train without them. Personally I’m quite content without, it gives more room to spread out on a quiet train.

bramling

Veteran Member
Unfortunately not; seats, armrests, moquette are things not revealed yet

A red version of Barman wouldn’t go amiss. The corporate version has always sat awfully on those trains IMV, to the point where it’s made a quite depressing ambience, which didn’t exist when the trains had their original moquette.

Nym

Established Member
A red version of Barman wouldn’t go amiss. The corporate version has always sat awfully on those trains IMV, to the point where it’s made a quite depressing ambience, which didn’t exist when the trains had their original moquette.
I do have to question, in times where TfL Budgets are cut to the bone, why spend money designing new moquettes to keep the design team in work? When there are engineers and technicians being pushed out the door and the endless push for cheaper operational costs?

bramling

Veteran Member
I do have to question, in times where TfL Budgets are cut to the bone, why spend money designing new moquettes to keep the design team in work? When there are engineers and technicians being pushed out the door and the endless push for cheaper operational costs?

There wouldn’t be much if any cost in using Barman but simply adjusting the colours, AIUI. They’ve done exactly this on some other lines.

CBlue

IIRC 1992 on the Central Line stock originally had armrests, but they got removed pretty quickly after vandals started breaking them off. Not sure if the W&C stock still has them

Mikey C

Established Member
Weird that such a functional looking (and frankly uncomfortable) armrest should be so easy to break off.

c-39rIfMll37h5PqIgs3NqEBwY66QvJrI1ODegecAmgdbeP81_HPc7qCMyQo76v-uhyIxd3PBJ-FNNh325t8I2XazHp-

bramling

Veteran Member
Weird that such a functional looking (and frankly uncomfortable) armrest should be so easy to break off.

c-39rIfMll37h5PqIgs3NqEBwY66QvJrI1ODegecAmgdbeP81_HPc7qCMyQo76v-uhyIxd3PBJ-FNNh325t8I2XazHp-

I seem to remember at the time they first disappeared it was stated that they have to be able to break off safely in a collision, but "in the event they proved too easily removed".

I'm not entirely sure I buy this, as the 95 & 96 stock armrests feel pretty solid.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not convinced what value armrests add on the 92 stock. On the rural sections it's good to be able to sit sideways and be able to enjoy the view.

On the 92 stock they're only held on with a simple screw mechanism. I know because I accidentally managed to break one off on the W&C stock simply by sitting against it.

Mikey C

Established Member
I seem to remember at the time they first disappeared it was stated that they have to be able to break off safely in a collision, but "in the event they proved too easily removed".

I'm not entirely sure I buy this, as the 95 & 96 stock armrests feel pretty solid.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not convinced what value armrests add on the 92 stock. On the rural sections it's good to be able to sit sideways and be able to enjoy the view.

On the 92 stock they're only held on with a simple screw mechanism. I know because I accidentally managed to break one off on the W&C stock simply by sitting against it.
There's a surprising lack of consistency on different LU stock when it comes to armrests really. The 95/96 and the refurbished 73 stock have similar, and quite attractive curved armrests whereas the other stock either has a different design or none at all!

Curious why the S and 2009 stock have a different design, seeing that they are both Bombardier designs built around the same time

rebmcr

Established Member
Curious why the S and 2009 stock have a different design, seeing that they are both Bombardier designs built around the same time

I recall that the S Stock iteration of the Movia design was developed from the '09 Tube Stock iteration, with input from TfL's design/branding department. The Class 345 interior is even more heavily TfL.

Status
Not open for further replies.