LU Cab Rides

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by joshcoupe, 2 Apr 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshcoupe

joshcoupe Member

Hi all,

Going up to the capital this Saturday to ride some new tube lines. Just wondering if anyone has ever bagged a out of the blue cab ride and what line was it on.

I do ask some drivers however they all say they would be they can't risk it.

Any advice from personal experiences would be great as would love to cab a train this weekend.

Josh

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Oracle

Oracle Established Member

Speaking as someone who has cabbed in the past, and I mean dim and distant past, please don't even think about asking. I went through official channels at one stage and had a genuine reason to do so. It was approved though I never took it up. There may however be ways and means to go through LU HQ if you have a specific reason. Why I would never even bother to ask these days even if they were a perosnal friend is that the sack would most likely result and they have a wellish-paying job which they justly earn.

4. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Every step you take on the system is monitored these days and an additional presence in the cab not known about 'upstairs' would be bound to arouse suspicion.
    Closest you can get is to take a DLR train from Bank and bag a seat at the front.

5. notadriver

notadriver Established Member

Error post deleted.

6. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I agree; it's impossible today without a valid operational reason ( the only non staff who can do it are accredited journalists by prior arrangement made via their publication, not via the journalist directly and heavily supervised ).

Thirty years ago *sigh* you would even get invited in by drivers if you were lucky, usually if they had seen you taking an interest in the trains. But certainly not today!

7. rmt-driver

rmt-driver Member

It's a sackable offence for a driver of any TOC to give a stranger access to the cab. I hardly think anyone would risk there livelihood to make a unknown trainspotter happy. Sorry

8. A60K

A60K Established Member

Four decades ago I was lucky enough to get three cab rides, but unfortunately now I think the chances are around zero. CCTV coverage is such that an unauthorised person could easily be spotted and that would lead to serious trouble for the driver.

9. notadriver

To my mind the ATO lines such as Central, Jubilee and Victoria don't need cabs. They could be operated a bit like the DLR.

10. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Let's not get into this argument It's all been said on DD Underground Forum.
    I will just say the DLR doesn't go through deep tunnels.

11. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Apart from the ones under the Thames ;)

12. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

..and down to Bank

13. fIIsion

fIIsion Member

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

14. notadriver

What makes you say that?

15. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Many apologies I was being somewhat simplistic when I said the DLR doesn't go through deep tunnels. Let's say that the length of tunnel that the three lines go through is considerably more than the DLR. Therefore more opportunity for things to go wrong in a tunnel.

16. sonic2009

sonic2009 Established Member

I think we can safely say on this thread, that the matter of gaining a cab ride these days is a no go area, for a lot of safety reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.