• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Engineering Trains on National Rail Infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpinf

I noticed passing Wimbledon that an LU Engineering train (Battery Loco - Ballast Wagons - Battery Loco) was stabled between Wimbledon and Raynes Park on the Up Slow Line of the SW Mainline with the usual SWR trains diverted on the Up Fast. Another was in the Up Slow Platform at Wimbledon

As this section is wholly a National Rail line I was interested in if it is common for this to happen and how it is worked out between both LU and Network Rail (assuming LU stock doesn't have a TOPs code, GSM-R, TPWS etc.) and LU and SWR (blocking one of their lines and causing them additional disruption)?

Photo attached if anyone's interested - thanks

Attachments

• LU Battery Loco SWML.jpg
    LU Battery Loco SWML.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 96
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
I would assume this is for work on 741 points at Wimbledon which are LU infrastructure.
LU battery loco drivers have handheld LU Connect radios that can be used to contact Wimbledon SCC, which has a Connect terminal.
LU Stock do have TOPS numbers, (class 799 unless mistaken?)

Last edited:

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
LuL trains do have TOPs codes for network rail sections.
When I have had to contact the signaller before they have identified a TOP code to me and also my train number.
Also there is no disruption an amended timetable will have been published well in advance so people have plenty of notice.

sharpinf

Ah interesting thanks both, TOPs for LUL is a new thing for me to have learnt today

I would assume this is for work on 730 and 736 points at Wimbledon which are LU infrastructure.

Would these be the connecting points between the SWML and District line and including that one that had the derailment recently please?

Also there is no disruption an amended timetable will have been published well in advance so people have plenty of notice.

Right makes sense if it is these connecting points being replaced, SWR couldn't use pl. 5 anyway so can be used by LUL without any additional amendments - thanks

Dstock7080

Established Member
Ah interesting thanks both, TOPs for LUL is a new thing for me to have learnt today
Would these be the connecting points between the SWML and District line and including that one that had the derailment recently please?
Yes, they are the LU end of those points and the 'recent derailment' was 6 November 2017.

(actually it's also complete relaying of track in platform 4)
46730511625_8d05f703f7_c.jpg

Last edited:

londonboi198o5

On Moderation

Right makes sense if it is these connecting points being replaced, SWR couldn't use pl. 5 anyway so can be used by LUL without any additional amendments - thanks

Yeah plus I imagine gives NR a chance to work on the slow lines as well as those are really busy lines on a normal day so best of both worlds :)

Thanks for the picture really nice find and certainly an unusual spot so great find

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably with the particular track layout at Wimbledon, if NR were to relay the P5 track we’d probably see the opposite situation, i.e. an NR engineering train in LU P4?

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
I thought SWT had run 455s into P4? If they can do that then an NR engineering train will fit.

There is a difference from moving a train around the platforms for moves to the depot to an engineering train going in there with workers working on a adjacent track

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is a difference from moving a train around the platforms for moves to the depot to an engineering train going in there with workers working on a adjacent track
I don’t understand your point. There’s a photo in this thread showing an LU engineering train in P5 with work going on alongside it in P4. Why-ever can’t that happen the other way round, NR routinely work like that between pairs of platforms in stations all over the country.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Class 20s and Class 66s are frequently used for engineering trains on the Metropolitan line. It would not surprise me if they were able to fit into the LU platforms at Wimbledon. LU S-stock is as tall as mainline passenger stock and slightly wider. That the LU engineering locos in use there are the battery ones small enough to fit in the tunnels is neither here nor there

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
It’s got nothing to do with tunnels or clearance. It is to do with providing a adequate and safe working environment for the staff working on the track.

sharpinf

Class 20s and Class 66s are frequently used for engineering trains on the Metropolitan line. It would not surprise me if they were able to fit into the LU platforms at Wimbledon. LU S-stock is as tall as mainline passenger stock and slightly wider. That the LU engineering locos in use there are the battery ones small enough to fit in the tunnels is neither here nor there

Just to add I have seen GBRF 66s in Wimbledon LUL platforms for District Engineering work before so they do fit and have been used

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Just to add I have seen GBRF 66s in Wimbledon LUL platforms for District Engineering work before so they do fit and have been used

Where did I say and I quote “they didn’t fit” can you quote my post where I have said that please.

rebmcr

Established Member
It’s got nothing to do with tunnels or clearance. It is to do with providing a adequate and safe working environment for the staff working on the track.

Which of the dimensions are different enough to be unsafe?

How much difference would be safe instead?

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Which of the dimensions are different enough to be unsafe?

How much difference would be safe instead?

Lol have you saw the size difference between a battery loco and a class 66 that Nr normally use for engineering.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Anyway let’s keep it all friendly this is a community so we should all be getting along with each other and enjoying the sunshine :)

LU_timetabler

No reason why LU engineering can't request track access on NR track at Wimbledon, plenty of times when LU services are suspended to allow for NR works on shared tracks (Bakerloo and District Lines), so now it is the other way round for once.

LU_timetabler

Unfortunately on a match day for Stamford bridge stadium
Inherent problem with the Wimbledon branch, a weekend closure will nearly always be someone's match day, as there are 2 Premier League teams down the branch. They needed 4 days for the work, so the choice was Easter, Easter or errrrmmmm, Easter!

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Inherent problem with the Wimbledon branch, a weekend closure will nearly always be someone's match day, as there are 2 Premier League teams down the branch. They needed 4 days for the work, so the choice was Easter, Easter or errrrmmmm, Easter!

Work need doing work needs doing it’s as simple as that. It amazes me how people think trains should run around football matches lol

Status
Not open for further replies.