• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU freight/ maintenance trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
just a quick post with regards to the maintenance trains which run through the LU network,

I have yet to see one with my own eyes, I have seen many videos but I would love to witness one going through a station,

Any ideas on where/ when I could see one, it's always bugged me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You’ll commonly see battery locos at close of traffic/start of traffic heading to and from Ruislip depot, either from the Central line end, or heading out onto the Met line via Ruislip IMR siding.

You might often see them during the day working to/from possessions where there are long possessions (eg. at weekends)

WideRanger

You’ll commonly see battery locos at close of traffic/start of traffic heading to and from Ruislip depot, either from the Central line end, or heading out onto the Met line via Ruislip IMR siding.

You might often see them during the day working to/from possessions where there are long possessions (eg. at weekends)
There was one in platform 4 of Baker Street last night, ready for the overnight works.

Ladder23

Established Member
thanks for the responses guys - I fancy taking a trip soon to try and spot one.

with regard to the baker street spot, I would love to of seen that! you see it yourself or was you told about its presence?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There's a regular working Monday to Wednesday nights as part of the track renewal works between Baker Street and Finchley Road - the train will sit at Finchley Road and then Baker Street (usually platform 4, but not always) until access to the possession is granted after the last Met line trains have cleared the section. The early closure commences c2130 so it's a good opportunity to 'spot' a train without staying out to close of traffic.

Otherwise, your best option is on the Met between Ruislip and Rayners Lane from around 2330 Sunday-Thursday. There's usually at least one train out every night, but the time is flexible depending how far it has to operate. At weekends when there are large engineering (as opposed to testing, such as many of the current ones on the SSL) shutdowns there will be a lot more trains in an evening.

Daylight runs are rare but not unheard of - generally adhoc to get to and from weekend possessions but sometimes - particularly in the summer - there are other options when things like the weedkilling trains run.

The times themselves are wildly subject to change and variation for all trains, and unless you have a driver's radio number you can't guarantee it will necessarily do what it is supposed to on paper. HTH.

silverfoxcc

coming home on the Met after midweek football games to Hillingdon used to see several going past up to London

philthetube

Established Member
There's a regular working Monday to Wednesday nights as part of the track renewal works between Baker Street and Finchley Road - the train will sit at Finchley Road and then Baker Street (usually platform 4, but not always) until access to the possession is granted after the last Met line trains have cleared the section. The early closure commences c2130 so it's a good opportunity to 'spot' a train without staying out to close of traffic.

Otherwise, your best option is on the Met between Ruislip and Rayners Lane from around 2330 Sunday-Thursday. There's usually at least one train out every night, but the time is flexible depending how far it has to operate. At weekends when there are large engineering (as opposed to testing, such as many of the current ones on the SSL) shutdowns there will be a lot more trains in an evening.

Daylight runs are rare but not unheard of - generally adhoc to get to and from weekend possessions but sometimes - particularly in the summer - there are other options when things like the weedkilling trains run.

The times themselves are wildly subject to change and variation for all trains, and unless you have a driver's radio number you can't guarantee it will necessarily do what it is supposed to on paper. HTH.
If waiting for the one at Baker st. make sure that the engineering work is happening on the night you are visiting, it does not happen if there is football at Wembley.

WideRanger

thanks for the responses guys - I fancy taking a trip soon to try and spot one.

with regard to the baker street spot, I would love to of seen that! you see it yourself or was you told about its presence?
I was on the final Northbound Train in Platform 2.

Far north 37

Established Member
Theres quite often battery locos in the bay platforms at moorgate met line platforms.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Theres quite often battery locos in the bay platforms at moorgate met line platforms.

I wouldn't say "quite often"; it is actually quite rare now. Most likely is a rail grinder, but even then only for a few days every couple of months.

philthetube

Established Member
It is common to see them parked on Klondyke, (the sidings next to Neasden depot) towards close of traffic.

LU_timetabler

If you want to see the ones used for the Met works, get yourself on the last 2 or 3 northbound Mets, and you should see it at either Finchley Rd or Baker Street. Tuesday evenings I'm quite often get the 22.30ish from Liverpool St destination Chesham, and it is sitting in Finchley Road southbound Met platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.