• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo86

https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobdetail.ftl?job=022816

The last campaign opened over a year ago and was very heavily applied for, I believe 7000+ applications at that time, I expect a similar number or maybe more this time round due to more publicity re. the Night Tube itself. If you're gonna be applying I'd recommend to do it sooner rather than later as I wouldn't be surprised to see it get pulled before the advertised closing date.

Copy and paste of some of the details below:

Job Description - Train Operator - Night Tube PT (022816)

Train Operator - Night Tube PT 022816
Organisation - Customer Services
Job - Customer Care
Position Type - Part Time

Night Tube Train Operator – a role to be proud of

London Underground plays a unique role in London’s history, and the introduction of Night Tube in 2016 ensured that we are able to continue to deliver a world class service for this world class city.

Night Tube, across our Central, Northern, Jubilee, Victoria and Piccadilly lines, has a vital role to play in boosting London’s economy, as part of the integrated night time transport network that provides a range of safe and easy travel choices (Night Tube. Night Buses, Taxi and Private Hire)

Join us as part of the team that continues to “Free the Night” and keep London moving

Salary: £49,673 pro rated dependant on shift allocation
(15 hours per week equates to approx. £23,463 p.a.)

Closing Date for Applications: Monday 17th April 2017 11pm.

London Underground benefits include and are not limited to:
TfL pension scheme
Free travel for you and one other (at the same address) on all services owned by TfL, London Underground/Overground, Buses, Docklands Light Railway, TfL Rail and Trams
75% reimbursement of season ticket loans if you use national rail services to travel to and from work.
29 days annual leave per annum, plus public holidays
Discounted travel on Eurostar for you and three companions
A wide range of tax-efficient benefits and employee discounts including Childcare Vouchers

To be eligible for this vacancy, you must
be prepared to complete a 16 week full time training course
be prepared to work Friday and Saturday night shifts
be prepared to work anywhere in London
have successfully completed a basic criminal records check and medical screening
be aged 18 or over by the published closing date on the application form

Principal Accountabilities
Operates the train in accordance with working manual procedures, safety and emergency procedures, timetable, specified driving procedures and environmental considerations
Carries out safety and emergency procedures
Identifies and where possible rectifies train defects
Provides customers with correct and timely information about delays, emergency situations and general customer travel information
Communicates with Line Controllers or other personnel, e.g. Signal Operators, Train Maintenance and Station Staff, about train delays, safety, security and emergency matters

Due to the expected high response to these vacancies there may be a delay in communication. We reserve the right to close this campaign once we have a suitable pool of applicants, which could be prior to the published application closing date of 11pm Monday 17th April 2017.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tron81

Anyone who works for LU.... are you allowed to have a second job as I believe you are not allowed overtime in this role....?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Also, realistically would you need to live within the travelcard zones to be able to be a tube operator..?

While I'm at it... is the 16 week training paid or unpaid? At what rate would it be paid..?

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Anyone who works for LU.... are you allowed to have a second job as I believe you are not allowed overtime in this role....?

It says in one of the links in the advert itself that you are, though they'd have to take care to ensure it doesn't impact on the ability to safely perform the operator role.

Termak

Also, realistically would you need to live within the travelcard zones to be able to be a tube operator..?

While I'm at it... is the 16 week training paid or unpaid? At what rate would it be paid..?
Yes, 16 week training is paid and I believe you get about 80% of full time pay as training will be Monday to Friday. Not sure about the exact percentage, don't qoute me on that but that is what usually LU pays when in training.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

PudseyBearHST

Hello. I know you can apply at 18 but do you think they will actually take an 18 year old? Is it a bit optimistic for an 18 year old to get £50K (pro-rated obviously) per year?

Lrd

Established Member
No overtime allowed (same for all Train Ops, Night Tube or full time). Second job is perfectly fine, just need to get it agreed with the TOM (depot manager). You have to have a certain amount of rest period, which is 24 hours in one week or 48 hours in two weeks. So you could work 12 days straight then take 2 days off for example.
No need to live within travelcard zones, they will try to allocate a depot closest to you but you can do a mutual swap with another trainee in your class. I applied when living in Southampton and am just about to move out of London.
It is paid, if you are external to the company then it will be at CSA1 rate which is approx £30k for a 35 hour week. This is until you pass out and become productive after the 16 weeks.

Hello. I know you can apply at 18 but do you think they will actually take an 18 year old? Is it a bit optimistic for an 18 year old to get £50K (pro-rated obviously) per year?
Nothing stopping you from trying, there are a fair few younguns on NT at the moment. Although I don't think there are any 18 year olds at the moment. You could be one of the first ones!

Lrd

Established Member
Also to clarify the job post, it is 16 hours a week not 15. You do 8 and a half hours each night with a 30 min unpaid break. (30 mins is the bare minimum, normally longer than that).

The holidays is 15 days for NT Trains Ops, you get one extra lieu day for training (see below) so it's 16 days a year, or 8 weeks as you only use 2 days for a week off.

There is a week of full time training once a year which is Mon - Fri during the day which you would need to be available for. You get the previous weekend off and that weeks weekend off with another day owed to you.

PudseyBearHST

No overtime allowed (same for all Train Ops, Night Tube or full time). Second job is perfectly fine, just need to get it agreed with the TOM (depot manager). You have to have a certain amount of rest period, which is 24 hours in one week or 48 hours in two weeks. So you could work 12 days straight then take 2 days off for example.

No need to live within travelcard zones, they will try to allocate a depot closest to you but you can do a mutual swap with another trainee in your class. I applied when living in Southampton and am just about to move out of London.
It is paid, if you are external to the company then it will be at CSA1 rate which is approx £30k for a 35 hour week. This is until you pass out and become productive after the 16 weeks.

Nothing stopping you from trying, there are a fair few younguns on NT at the moment. Although I don't think there are any 18 year olds at the moment. You could be one of the first ones!

Thank you for your reply. I failed miserably on trying to become an 18 year old Train Manager so my optimism levels aren't very high at the moment:)

bramling

Veteran Member

There have been some pretty young train operators who have gone straight from the apprentice scheme to train operator, not sure if quite as young as 18 but certainly not far off.

As a general comment, I'd urge a little caution however. From experience of the above, it's always worth remembering that T/Op is a hard job to get and an easy job to lose, and getting to grips with the railway knowledge, procedures and culture can be awkward in itself, without the added pressures of early adulthood.

PudseyBearHST

There have been some pretty young train operators who have gone straight from the apprentice scheme to train operator, not sure if quite as young as 18 but certainly not far off.

As a general comment, I'd urge a little caution however. From experience of the above, it's always worth remembering that T/Op is a hard job to get and an easy job to lose, and getting to grips with the railway knowledge, procedures and culture can be awkward in itself, without the added pressures of early adulthood.

Thank you for your advice. I will probably apply for this and I'm happy its part time because I can still do my degree course at the same time as this job. But to be honest, I really wanted to be a Train Manager even though the salary for a TM is a lot lower (£35K instead of £49K).

Lrd

Established Member
Thank you for your advice. I will probably apply for this and I'm happy its part time because I can still do my degree course at the same time as this job. But to be honest, I really wanted to be a Train Manager even though the salary for a TM is a lot lower (£35K instead of £49K).
You would still get to open and close the doors as a Train Op though ;)

chris11256

Think i'll give this another go. I reached the final stage last time(voice test & interview).

Would I need to resit the first two stages?

martin2345uk

Established Member
23k is a very decent wage for 15-16 hours a week. Imagine this'll be massively popular! :)

PudseyBearHST

You would still get to open and close the doors as a Train Op though ;)

Haha yeah:) Though, I wanted to be a TM of the HSTs (Class 43) before they depart for good, no pun intended. And my Grandfather was also a TM (by todays standards) for over 25 years at London Paddington. It just seems so satisfying blowing that final whistle :)

Last edited:

chris11256

Oh definitely. Does anyone know how many vacancies there actually is? Sorry if this has already been said.

I seem to remember last time there was a couple of hundred. About 180/200 or so I think. Someone else might be able to give a better figure.

However this time it's to replace Night Tube operators who move full time, so there'll probably be less.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

I seem to remember last time there was a couple of hundred. About 180/200 or so I think. Someone else might be able to give a better figure.

However this time it's to replace Night Tube operators who move full time, so there's probably be less.

Ok thank you.

Lrd

Established Member
I don't have specific numbers but there is more than one vacancy. No where near 180 this time round though.

Tooktook

Can I please ask if anyone knows the long term future of the train operator roles?

I have read about the ongoing automation of the other lines and do recall someone (I think boris) wanting driverless trains in the near future.

I see it as a good job opportunity just didn't know what the inside information is. Drivers will be required for a while yet on the tube surely?

Lrd

Established Member
Can I please ask if anyone knows the long term future of the train operator roles?

I have read about the ongoing automation of the other lines and do recall someone (I think boris) wanting driverless trains in the near future.

I see it as a good job opportunity just didn't know what the inside information is. Drivers will be required for a while yet on the tube surely?
Before they go full driverless they would need to install Platform Edge Doors (like on the Jubilee Extension) at every platform, that would take years to do and a heck of a lot of money and disruption. So they won't be driverless for at least the next 10-15 years.

The new trains being ordered for the Picc, Central, W&C and Bakerloo lines are supposedly going to be delivered with a drivers cab initially which can then be taken away when the line is to go driverless. With the first trains not expected until 2023 and still being delivered into the 2030s I think we're safe for a while yet.

Jambo86

To answer some of the questions people have posted:

Training pay is approx £32k. At week 12 of training you go to a full time train drivers rate of approx £50k, but this enhanced amount will only be paid as a lump sum upon successful completion of the training course, look at it as a bonus if you wish. After all training etc is finished you then go down to the 16 hour contract and therefore the pro-rata rate of £23.5k as stated in the job listing. There is also an above inflation pay-rise kicking in from next week for all train operators.

You don't have to live anywhere near a travelcard zone, I know drivers from far afield as Manchester and Peterborough and so on. TFL offers a 75% discount scheme + interest free loan to help cover the cost of a national rail travelcard (subject to certain criteria). You will also NOT be able to specify a preference of depot, they'll send you where the current requirement is regardless of where you might live.

Age wise I wouldn't worry, there was an 18 year old that successfully got the job via applying externally and then successfully completed training last year. The oldest person I've met that passed through was 57.

Last thing re. second jobs. TFL are quite clear that this is your main employment and will take precedence over any other work. There's a limit on the hours you can work and like another poster mentioned you will have to clear everything with the TOM at whichever depot you end up with. Working elsewhere on a Fri before a night shift will be prohibited and isn't something that's worth doing and then lying about. Look at it this way, you can work elsewhere Mon-Thurs.

Happy to help anyone if they have any more questions.

Tooktook

Before they go full driverless they would need to install Platform Edge Doors (like on the Jubilee Extension) at every platform, that would take years to do and a heck of a lot of money and disruption. So they won't be driverless for at least the next 10-15 years.

The new trains being ordered for the Picc, Central, W&C and Bakerloo lines are supposedly going to be delivered with a drivers cab initially which can then be taken away when the line is to go driverless. With the first trains not expected until 2023 and still being delivered into the 2030s I think we're safe for a while yet.

Sounds good to me- thanks for the reply

chooochoooo

Guys how long would u think it would take to move up to a full time role for this position? 1/2 years? Any inside info?...

Jambo86

Guys how long would u think it would take to move up to a full time role for this position? 1/2 years? Any inside info?...

There's currently a dispute going on between the unions and the company about this. The company stopped NT drivers from applying for the last internal full-time vacancy which was live around December last year, they're saying that NT drivers are to be locked in to NT for 18 months. The unions are saying that this is inherently unfair as other employees can apply for the full-time job after 6 months.

As it's still ongoing I'm not sure where it will land but the consensus seems to be that the 18 months will become 12. There's some merit to this theory as last year's intake will be reaching 12 months service in the next few months and will therefore need replacing should they go full-time, which is perhaps the reason for this latest intake.

Last edited:

chooochoooo

Thankyou for the info.personally i wouldnt mind doing part time if i knew id get something full time within 3 years

OneTrackMind

... Start dates are dependent on training course availability but could be as early as mid-April 2017 ...

Crickey, this could be one of the quickest recruitment processes ever!

Lrd

Established Member
Crickey, this could be one of the quickest recruitment processes ever!
Not necessarily, the applicants from the December vacancy are just starting to come through and will be starting in April. It'll be between 2-3 months for recruitment.

Tron81

Also to clarify the job post, it is 16 hours a week not 15. You do 8 and a half hours each night with a 30 min unpaid break. (30 mins is the bare minimum, normally longer than that).

The holidays is 15 days for NT Trains Ops, you get one extra lieu day for training (see below) so it's 16 days a year, or 8 weeks as you only use 2 days for a week off.

There is a week of full time training once a year which is Mon - Fri during the day which you would need to be available for. You get the previous weekend off and that weeks weekend off with another day owed to you.

So..... after 18months... are you able to apply for a full time role?

Status
Not open for further replies.