• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfway Boy

So did anyone take proof of their national insurance number? Or just took driving licence and passport as ID? I'm surprised it doesn't mention national insurance number.

This is what it says in the email.
What to Bring With You on the Day

Please remember to bring any aids that you use on a daily basis, e.g. reading glasses.

You will need to bring original versions of your photographic ID with you to the Assessment Centre.

Failure to provide this information will result in you not being allowed to sit the Assessment Centre on this day and may result in withdrawal of your application from the Train Operator recruitment process.

You need to take the proof of national insurance to the contract signing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

51mm5

Just out of ac1 and I think I flunked it, mainly on the error checking. Ahhhhhh I'm an idiot. Bahhh. Off to cry and maybe some beers.

Good luck to the rest of you

Is the error checking the one with the traffic lights? I think I may have flunked that too but you never know. Some people think they done badly then got through so until you get confirmation I would not think one way of the other.

Adamski

Is the error checking the one with the traffic lights? I think I may have flunked that too but you never know. Some people think they done badly then got through so until you get confirmation I would not think one way of the other.

Yeah that's the one. Started off alright then my brain was like what am I doing?? Ahhhhhh. True but I won't hold my breath lol

Good luck matey.

DARK CHOC

Yeah that's the one. Started off alright then my brain was like what am I doing?? Ahhhhhh. True but I won't hold my breath lol

Good luck matey.
Well I done onky 3 of the error and i got through..i didnt have a clue lol

choochoochoo

Established Member
Well I done onky 3 of the error and i got through..i didnt have a clue lol

I'd be very concerned if you only did 3 questions and also didn't have a clue. You may struggle with the traction part of driver training. But I suppose LU must design the tests to gauge the minimum ability required to pass the course.

Having said that, well done on getting through. Good luck.

citycat

Thanks- The ship of the unknown seems empty now so I guess I will take command of it and rename it, "The pool that didn't make it."

On a more serious note, I'm in my second year of university studying Electrical Engineering. I was 18 when I applied for this job and now I am 19 so I am still fairly young. On the plus side, at least I get to keep my free train travel facilities- this probably sounds really bizarre but I really do love my BR pass and taking train rides and I'll be sad to lose them when I start working.

I'll go back to my train simulators on the ipad/PC. In fact, there is one based on the London Underground and I'll download it this week- 16 weeks training? Nonsense- I'll have mastered it in a few hours lol:)

Thanks mate.

PudseyBear, why don't you go and work on a real ship? Cruise lines like Cunard often recruit for Officer Cadets. At your age, you have years in which to join the railway or London Underground. Why not live life a little.

I was in my forties before I joined the railway. Before that, I'd worked in the hotel industry and holiday industry. Some of my colleagues who joined the railway when they were sixteen were a little envious of me. The railway was all they knew and they hadn't had a chance to experience any other jobs.

So, think about that ship first, or even the airlines. Come to the railway later.

jellybabyj

Hi all I got the good news I passed all my assessments and awaiting training course dates now I
Been asked to fill in medical forms etc

Does anyone know
What tfl think about past mental illnesses I had spates of depression when younger and in my adult life
I also on a anti depressants i just worried that this will have a negative impact however it never affected my work or my assessments.

choochoochoo

Established Member
PudseyBear, why don't you go and work on a real ship? Cruise lines like Cunard often recruit for Officer Cadets. At your age, you have years in which to join the railway or London Underground. Why not live life a little.

I was in my forties before I joined the railway. Before that, I'd worked in the hotel industry and holiday industry. Some of my colleagues who joined the railway when they were sixteen were a little envious of me. The railway was all they knew and they hadn't had a chance to experience any other jobs.

So, think about that ship first, or even the airlines. Come to the railway later.

I second this. Whilst driver would be a fantastic job financially at your young age, the railway will still be there in 20-30 years.

Plenty of other exciting roles in other industries. I know if I'd come into the railway as a youngster I'd never have left to try other things. And experiencing other jobs first might let you appreciate more how great the driver role really is. (Rather than becoming one of the moaners in the mess room who bitch about it all the time)

citycat

I second this. Whilst driver would be a fantastic job financially at your young age, the railway will still be there in 20-30 years.

Plenty of other exciting roles in other industries. I know if I'd come into the railway as a youngster I'd never have left to try other things. And experiencing other jobs first might let you appreciate more how great the driver role really is. (Rather than becoming one of the moaners in the mess room who bitch about it all the time)

Just to add, someone I know struck lucky and got a driving position for GNER as it was then, driving trains up and down the ECML at just 21 years old. However, ten or more years later, he is already bored with driving.

Check out British Airways. They sometimes offer trainee pilot scholarships, especially to people who have studied engineering. You could be flying a Boeing or Airbus instead, and then come to train driving later if you still want to. Look higher young man !

Jambo86

Hi all I got the good news I passed all my assessments and awaiting training course dates now I
Been asked to fill in medical forms etc

Does anyone know
What tfl think about past mental illnesses I had spates of depression when younger and in my adult life
I also on a anti depressants i just worried that this will have a negative impact however it never affected my work or my assessments.

TFL is a very accepting and accommodating employer. My only advice would be to be totally honest with them at the medical and see where it goes. There are many, many drivers on the Underground who are on anti-depressants and/or other medication, all of which have to be cleared by the medical team first. There is a great setup to help people in these situations.

jellybabyj

TFL is a very accepting and accommodating employer. My only advice would be to be totally honest with them at the medical and see where it goes. There are many, many drivers on the Underground who are on anti-depressants and/or other medication, all of which have to be cleared by the medical team first. There is a great setup to help people in these situations.

Thank you for your reply and it gives me confidence that I will pass the medical I not had a episode for over a year just medicated to keep me stable etc.

PudseyBearHST

You can be second in command... I am still the captain of this ship.... on a more serious note, do you know where you fell short?
I am determined to leave this ship one day.... consider other avenues like customer service roles and that way you can apply internally as they don't have the 2 lives system as far as I am aware. I prefer LU due to the employee community so i will still persue a career with them unless I make it with another TOC.... good luck all those that made it. Anyone who made it it to AC2, feel free to share your approach to the switch test via pm please.. would be much appreciated. Good luck again to everyone. :(

Yes, I think the error identification section. I messed up because I misaligned my answers (e.g. wrote question 5 in 6's spot, 6 in 7's spot, etc...). It was my fault because I was going too quick.

PudseyBearHST

Thanks Citycat and Choochoochoo for the advice! I'll definitely have a look and I never realised that British Airways offered pilot scholarships.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Thanks Citycat and Choochoochoo for the advice! I'll definitely have a look and I never realised that British Airways offered pilot scholarships.
Careful. It's not a scholarship. 115k self funded training. You even have to pay for the assessment !

PudseyBearHST

Careful. It's not a scholarship. 115k self funded training. You even have to pay for the assessment !

I know it's usually about the 120k mark but Citycat said in his post, "sometimes they sometimes offer trainee pilot scholarships especially to people who have studied engineering."

PudseyBearHST

Although, when I did do some research, I didn't find much information about any scholarship apart one from one man who studied engineering and got a scholarship in 2014.

AJirde

Just been to AC1 today, wow it was intense, no fag breaks! Taking my nicotine chewing gum or hopefully give up before ac2

citycat

Although, when I did do some research, I didn't find much information about any scholarship apart one from one man who studied engineering and got a scholarship in 2014.

Go to the British Airways career website and it's called the Future Pilot cadet scheme. It's all there. They make no mention of having to pay 115K training, unless I've missed it somewhere.

Jetlagged

Go to the British Airways career website and it's called the Future Pilot cadet scheme. It's all there. They make no mention of having to pay 115K training, unless I've missed it somewhere.

In the fifth paragraph, it doesn't mention any figure but does mention two routes of training, both of which will be "self funded".

citycat

In the fifth paragraph, it doesn't mention any figure but does mention two routes of training, both of which will be "self funded".

Ahh, ok. So I guess it’s all self funding these days. The son of some friends of ours went down that route. His parents re mortgaged the house to fund his training. He’s now 25 and in the right hand seat of a Boeing 767 cargo jet, and gradually paying them back the loan.

As an aside, my wife is a flight attendant for an American airline based at Heathrow. As part of her duties, she often has to sit in the cockpit while one of the pilots takes a break. There has to be two people in the cockpit at all times. On quite a few occasions, she’s found herself in the Captain’s seat while flying over the Atlantic. Now, I’m sure many of us would kill to be sat where she is, yet, she has no interest at all in the technical workings of the aircraft. She finds it boring sat in the cockpit and would rather be back in the main cabin. Women eh !

Pudsey Bear, I suggest you ask for two xmas presents from the family this year. One, is an hour in the Boeing 737 flight simulator at iPilot in the Westfield centre in London. And the second is maybe a flying lesson at your local flying club. See if the flying bug hits you. If it does, then you will somehow raise the funds for the training cost. Otherwise, investigate the marine officer cadet path for the bridge of that ship of yours.

Apologies for hijacking this thread with airline talk. Please resume posts regarding AC1 & AC2 etc.

Lrd

Established Member
Can we get back on to Night Tube Train Op discussion please? :smile:

Jambo86

There are currently 32 NT drivers in training on the Picc and 4 existing Picc NT drivers have just been sent to full-time this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.