• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo12345

Hi all can anyone tell me locations for the main depot yards please

For NT...off the top of my head

Picc: Arnos Grove, Acton Town
Central: White City
Jubilee: Wembley Park
Northern: Morden, Golders Green, High Barnet

Possibly missing a few

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Central is Leytonstone as well.

Jubilee is Stratford (or it's potentially North Greenwich instead) as well.

Victoria is both Brixton and Seven Sisters

Super80sbaby

Hi all,

I've just interestingly found this forum and I love it! I don't usually write in forums but I guess I'm just too excited to sleep as I found out 3 days ago that I passed the interview!!
I'm looking forward to starting the training and can't wait to get on-board :)

Last edited:

Halfway Boy

Would LU staff let you travel to the assessment centre for free using the tube ? If you showed them your invite and maybe some ID to prove the invite was for you.

What about the possibility, albeit you'd have to be extremely unlucky, of you getting stopped by revenue en route, or one of the numerous BTP officers who pass through AH seeing you go through the barriers without tapping at west ken?

I'm not sure you missing your assessment because revenue/BTP are checking out your story and deciding whether to do you for fare evasion is going to go down well.

choochoochoo

Established Member
A lot of the TOCs offer this concession to applicants doing assessments/interview, and that's over massive distances and much more expensive fares.

Elias

Got my induction coming up, there is supposedly a test on the induction anyone know how or what this is about? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jambo86

Got my induction coming up, there is supposedly a test on the induction anyone know how or what this is about? Thanks.

There's never an actual test, but I'd still say that you should have a read of the material they send you. No need to print it though, spectacular waste of paper, they'll print out all the important stuff for you anyway and give you a folder.

burlsey

They called me. I got offered a training slot this month at short notice but as I have notice to give at work I couldn’t do it.

Salesy

Opinions wanted: I have my medical in the morning. Will casual or smart casual clothing be okay?

bramling

Veteran Member
Would LU staff let you travel to the assessment centre for free using the tube ? If you showed them your invite and maybe some ID to prove the invite was for you.

Doubtful. Some staff might, however there would remain the possibility of being picked up by revenue. Apart from the fact that one could end up being prosecuted for willful fare evasion, it's also a sure-fire way of messing up the application. One thing LU is very hot on is misuse of staff travel facilities, and it won't be seen to bode well if someone is found trying it on at application stage, which is how it would be seen.

In short, don't do it!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Doubtful. Some staff might, however there would remain the possibility of being picked up by revenue. Apart from the fact that one could end up being prosecuted for willful fare evasion, it's also a sure-fire way of messing up the application. One thing LU is very hot on is misuse of staff travel facilities, and it won't be seen to bode well if someone is found trying it on at application stage, which is how it would be seen.

In short, don't do it!

Maybe it's time LU introduce permit to travel with their assessment invites like other TOCs

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Why? It's never been an issue for the thousands of applicants who have come before - worst case scenario your travel will be, what, around £17? In reality it's much, much less than that. Two single fares (or two bus journeys) from most places in London is not comparable to the far larger travel costs that can often be the case with TOCs.

As Bramling state, LU staff travel is a privilege, not a right, and messing around with it (and the nominee pass) is the quickest way to lose your job.

Jimmy conway

Quick question say i got university so would prefer to do the training around may or june would they allow it ??

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Certainly internally you can defer training for a period of time. I think the same is true externally (perhaps not for as long) but I can't be certain; you would be best giving Recruitment a call.

Jetlagged

Why? It's never been an issue for the thousands of applicants who have come before - worst case scenario your travel will be, what, around £17? In reality it's much, much less than that. Two single fares (or two bus journeys) from most places in London is not comparable to the far larger travel costs that can often be the case with TOCs.

As Bramling state, LU staff travel is a privilege, not a right, and messing around with it (and the nominee pass) is the quickest way to lose your job.

I can assure you that this particular applicant spent a hell of a lot more than £17 to get to the AC1. I considered it money well spent and given the opportunity I would do it all again.

You should consider it an investment in a future, lucrative career. For me it was only ever a way to fill a bit of spare time while doing the job of my dreams; playing with a big boys train set!

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I can assure you that this particular applicant spent a hell of a lot more than £17 to get to the AC1. I considered it money well spent and given the opportunity I would do it all again.

You should consider it an investment in a future, lucrative career. For me it was only ever a way to fill a bit of spare time while doing the job of my dreams; playing with a big boys train set!

Even if the suggestion was sensible (and we are in agreement that it isn't) my point was that TfL shouldn't have to even think about covering travel costs for services that are not their own.

If you want the job you invest into it. If you get the job then you'll more than recoup that investment.

DARK CHOC

Lol check out the passion

Jetlagged

Even if the suggestion was sensible (and we are in agreement that it isn't) my point was that TfL shouldn't have to even think about covering travel costs for services that are not their own.

If you want the job you invest into it. If you get the job then you'll more than recoup that investment.

Totally agree bluegoblin.

bramling

Veteran Member
Lol check out the passion

I can understand the thinking that LU could pay travel expenses for applicants...

... However the reality of the situation is that LU is by no means short of good quality applicants for operational roles, and Night Tube is no exception. With people applying from places as far afield as Berwick-upon-Tweed, LU simply don't need to go out of their way to incentivise people to apply. It would be hard to justify what would effectively be subsidised travel at the expense of the taxpayer/farepayer.

If it were me I simply wouldn't take the risk. It's quite possible that it may be possible to blag free travel if one happens to come across the right people, in the same way that some mainline staff manage to get allowed to travel for free and LU staff sometimes get given free travel on mainline trains (especially away from the London area), but get picked up by revenue and I can guarantee that it wouldn't wash.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Not asking for LU to cover travel costs, just waive them for those using their service to get to their assessments.

No different to what the majority of TOCs offer. And for TOCs those costs could be a hell of a lot larger than the most expensive tube fare.

DARK CHOC

The fact is LU don't offer that incentive END OF! So borrow..or save up the pennies...worse case plan a route to walk in order to get to your assessment....if you don't make it there will be plenty more people who will make it

choochoochoo

Established Member
The fact is LU don't offer that incentive END OF! So borrow..or save up the pennies...worse case plan a route to walk in order to get to your assessment....if you don't make it there will be plenty more people who will make it

I didn't need to save up. i've been through the process and declined their job offer (for a driving role at GTR). I have a lovely PTAC card.

Just think it's a shame they don't offer this concession. It really wouldn't be any skin off their nose. Perhaps by highlighting it in this forum and if their HR are reading these forums they may consider it in the future.

DARK CHOC

I didn't need to save up. i've been through the process and declined their job offer (for a driving role at GTR). I have a lovely PTAC card.

Just think it's a shame they don't offer this concession. It really wouldn't be any skin off their nose. Perhaps by highlighting it in this forum and if their HR are reading these forums they may consider it in the future.
You went through all that process to decline it...mell one on GTR job sounds exciting....wats the pay package u get with that and wat does the job entail...

Status
Not open for further replies.