• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KCJones

Good luck and just keep on practising. Be prepared for a long wait if successful !

I'm now into month 5 since being offered the job, from what I was told when calling recruitment they were training internals and getting the odd slot or two coming through. They couldn't give me even an idea of which month, so I'll have to keep waiting and probably take another job for now :(

Mabs

Good luck and just keep on practising. Be prepared for a long wait if successful !

I'm now into month 5 since being offered the job, from what I was told when calling recruitment they were training internals and getting the odd slot or two coming through. They couldn't give me even an idea of which month, so I'll have to keep waiting and probably take another job for now :(

That's not good making people wait that long. For me it's ok as I'm currently into my 3rd months of 12 months probation. Once 12 months is over I'm thinking to change my contract into part time and I can only do that after my probation so I need to waste a bit of time.

MMC87

I was also offered the job in December, still waiting for a training date. I have been told I'm number 33 on the waiting list :'( . From what I've been told it seems internals are leap frogging us externals. The last training course only 3 people were externals:(.

So deffo in for a long wait.

Jetlagged

Hey guys. Does anyone know how many pages of scaat we will be tested on at AC1?
Honestly, I cannot remember but certainly way more than you can manage. Just take your time and work carefully through what they present. Accuracy over quantity. I learnt the hard way!

jellybabyj

I number 16 on the list but as said above it just waiting game and have to redo my medical as been over 6 months since my last one lol. I lucky enough I in full time well paid job atm in the motor trade so I can afforded the wait.

adx

Hey guys. Does anyone know how many pages of scaat we will be tested on at AC1?

There are 9 pages in total, you will have 3 pages for each sub test and the time allowed for each page with vary from page to page. You will stop between each sub test for the instructor to read the instructions for the next section, along with a chance to complete an example, which will then be solved in the class, you will then continue.

KCJones

I number 16 on the list but as said above it just waiting game and have to redo my medical as been over 6 months since my last one lol.

Sounds like a lot of us will be taking another trip to have another medical, whats the point when there are no training dates !!!

I'm number 52 I Can't see anything happening until the end of the year at this rate, all whilst they put another lot through all the tests !!

Spoke to a driver last week and he thought they were training more instructor operators

Mabs

I have my assessent on the 18th of May 2018. I wanted to know how different is the actual test compared to the practice material I was sent. I am comfortable with the material sent to me but what is the point if it's completely different to the assessment on the actual day.

Also I am wondering why does TFL need so many Train Operators? Do staff leave after a few years? what happened to the full time drivers from a few years ago?

KCJones

Good luck for tomorrow Mabs, there's quite a bit of info on this thread. The test is pretty much the practice material, except traffic lights instead of water tanks, obviously a lot more questions.
Head down concentrate and keep going until they say stop !

As for drivers, I'd love to know! Got offered another job (which i don't really want) , if I take it TfL will come up with training dates and if I don't they won't for another few months !! Sods Law

Mabs

Thanx for the information KCJones, I will give it my best shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

Mabs

Good luck for tomorrow Mabs, there's quite a bit of info on this thread. The test is pretty much the practice material, except traffic lights instead of water tanks, obviously a lot more questions.
Head down concentrate and keep going until they say stop !

As for drivers, I'd love to know! Got offered another job (which i don't really want) , if I take it TfL will come up with training dates and if I don't they won't for another few months !! Sods Law

If you are still working then I would wait for TFL and not take the other job offer. With cross rail coming soon, I have a feeling a lot of drivers will move about within the network so you will get the dates soon.

bramling

Veteran Member
I have my assessent on the 18th of May 2018. I wanted to know how different is the actual test compared to the practice material I was sent. I am comfortable with the material sent to me but what is the point if it's completely different to the assessment on the actual day.

Also I am wondering why does TFL need so many Train Operators? Do staff leave after a few years? what happened to the full time drivers from a few years ago?

A mess with recruitment is the reason. Retirements / promotions / resignations not being fully replaced, and in turn night tube operators changing to full time, in turn leading to a shortage in night tube.

It’s not just train operators - operational staffing across LU is a mess at the moment.

Mabs

I just completed the assessment and it wasn't easy. I didn't finish any of it so not sure if i will pass.

There was 24 other candidates and I was the only external candidate. All the others already work for the TFL as CSA.

Chanelle25

I just completed the assessment and it wasn't easy. I didn't finish any of it so not sure if i will pass.

There was 24 other candidates and I was the only external candidate. All the others already work for the TFL as CSA.
You might surprise yourself!! You probably done better then you thought!!!!!

Jellytots898

They don't expect you to finish the tests is what I was told and they don't expect 100%. Honestly. I didn't complete any of them except the fault finding one there just wasn't enough time. As long as you answered correctly for the majority of the ones you answered your still in with a chance. I'm not surprised you were the only external as internals naturally are being prioritised at the moment.

Good luck! Don't doubt yourself too much.

Mabs

Thanx for the reply. Your both right but the competion is very high to get in.

The scaat test was ok and the traffic light fault finding I answered 35 questions out of 36 but for the Following information and and understanding information I only answered around 19 or 20 out of 40 questions. I spent too much time readying the information and the mechanical wordings didn't make sense to me and so i wasted too much time.

I will wait and see what happens but I'm about 50-60% confident as some of the other guys seemed very confident especially one of the lady, whose husband is already a full time train operator on the northern line.

ChappyT

There are 9 pages in total, you will have 3 pages for each sub test and the time allowed for each page with vary from page to page. You will stop between each sub test for the instructor to read the instructions for the next section, along with a chance to complete an example, which will then be solved in the class, you will then continue.

Thank you for the very detailed information. It puts me at ease a little as the SCAAT test is what I am most nervous about doing, but I imagine it will be over fairly quickly with there only being 9 pages.

Also than you for the advice @Jetlagged .

ChappyT

Would anyone be able to tell me if the SCAAT shapes are the exact same as the shapes in the online practise material they send you?

Mabs

Would anyone be able to tell me if the SCAAT shapes are the exact same as the shapes in the online practise material they send you?

In the Assessment centre, The scaat test shapes are differnt. If you Google scaat test under images, you will see the shapes like V (^^/(/VV/) ₩ and so on.

There is 9 pages, Three for 1 shape, then Three for 2 shape and then Three for one shape plus first shape on the line.

Scaat test is easy, What I struggled on was the Understanding and following information. The sentence was long and it was about a mechanical problem and I didn't understand most of it and reading it again I wasted time. Problem is there just isn' much time. I think it was around 22 minutes to answer 40 questions. I answered around 19 or 20 and I'm not sure what will happen.

The taps are traffic lights in the assessment and I found them easy, I answered 35 out of 36 in 22 minutes.

I am waiting for my results but out of 25 people I was the only external candidate.

R9mmel

Mabs those 2 worded tests i found the most difficult on the day too but i ended up passing. As long as you did enough you're fine

ChappyT

In the Assessment centre, The scaat test shapes are differnt. If you Google scaat test under images, you will see the shapes like V (^^/(/VV/) ₩ and so on.

There is 9 pages, Three for 1 shape, then Three for 2 shape and then Three for one shape plus first shape on the line.

Scaat test is easy, What I struggled on was the Understanding and following information. The sentence was long and it was about a mechanical problem and I didn't understand most of it and reading it again I wasted time. Problem is there just isn' much time. I think it was around 22 minutes to answer 40 questions. I answered around 19 or 20 and I'm not sure what will happen.

The taps are traffic lights in the assessment and I found them easy, I answered 35 out of 36 in 22 minutes.

I am waiting for my results but out of 25 people I was the only external candidate.

Thanks for the info on the scaat test.

Geeeeeeeez, 22 minutes to answer 40 questions, sounds like an almost impossible task. You probably answered the same amount of questions most people do. The Scaat test is a real struggle for me, that is the part of the assessment I am most worried about.

Good luck on your results. I am also an external candidate, I don't think/hope that won't work against us in any sort of way.

KCJones

I number 16 on the list but as said above it just waiting game and have to redo my medical as been over 6 months since my last one lol. I lucky enough I in full time well paid job atm in the motor trade so I can afforded the wait.

How long after your 1st medical did they get in touch about a 2nd one ?

Mine was at the end of Feb so a bit of leeway still, but it took over 2 months to get the first one booked after the job offer.

Now starting a new job next week rather than wait and hope for a quick date as it's mainly all internals going training now

Whassup

I also did my AC1 today (at 8.30am). I am guessing there was about 5 external candidates. Overall it was ok and I would agree that the 'understanding information' part was pretty tough with the time constraints. Just a 10 day wait for the results now...

KCJones

Any news on when the new training dates are available

Called them recently and the answer is basically not for externals. Mainly internals with maybe 2 externals on the course.
Long wait expected, long enough for a 2nd second medical for one poster on here.

Mabs

I had my AC1 on the 18th of May 2018, I know it has been only 6 days and 4 working days so far but I keep checking my email to see if i get an email from TFL.

They did say to wait upto 10 working days but I'm so bad with waiting.

Anyone else got their results recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.