• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyward

Got an email the other day saying application now on hold til mid August to see if enough people already selected pass assessments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChappyT

I did the AC1 last Wednesday in the afternoon and I received the email today confirming I got through to the next stage. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Last edited:

Mabs

I did the AC1 last Wednesday in the afternoon. I received an email today from TFL stating that they want to schedule an appointment with me. I can't currently schedule that appointment as there are no time slots available but I think this could mean I progressed to AC2.
Yes you are through to the next round. Well done :)

Unfortunately I got the bad news today so this the end for me, Iv reached the end of the tunnel so I think I will just concentrate on my current job and work my way up.

We all dream but the dream doesn't materialise for all of us unfortunately.

Best of luck to everyone :)

loulou1

Yes you are through to the next round. Well done :)

Unfortunately I got the bad news today so this the end for me, Iv reached the end of the tunnel so I think I will just concentrate on my current job and work my way up.

We all dream but the dream doesn't materialise for all of us unfortunately.

Best of luck to everyone :)

Unlucky Mabs,
I had my AC1 test last week and just received an email saying I have passed and have gone through to the next stage. However there are no AC2 slots available for bookings.

Anyone know what to expect from AC2?
Example questions that may be asked?

Mabs

Unlucky Mabs,
I had my AC1 test last week and just received an email saying I have passed and have gone through to the next stage. However there are no AC2 slots available for bookings.

From reading online one of the tricky question that could come up is - Give an example where you made changes to health and safety?

Example - Could be people were not wearing safety equipment such as goggles, safety boots, gloves and you made changes to make sure from now on people did follow the safety rules and procedures to wear them and you followed that up regularly. Also you made sure random checks were done.

oz220

Unlucky Mabs,

They will send you all the info you need before AC2 but if I remember rightly they give 4 competencies and ask you to give examples of each one. Read up on competency based interviews if you are unfamiliar with them. And then you have RVICe (something like that) where you listen to a pretend incident and then have to record the message into a dictaphone.
Can’t remember the 4 competencies but they will be listed once you receive booking confirmation.
Good luck

Bilbstar

They will send you all the info you need before AC2 but if I remember rightly they give 4 competencies and ask you to give examples of each one. Read up on competency based interviews if you are unfamiliar with them. And then you have RVICe (something like that) where you listen to a pretend incident and then have to record the message into a dictaphone.
Can’t remember the 4 competencies but they will be listed once you receive booking confirmation.
Good luck

On this RVICe test, that is read to you, then you record. Message, are you allowed to take notes. Or all from memory??

Got my AC2 this Friday, exciting

oz220

On this RVICe test, that is read to you, then you record. Message, are you allowed to take notes. Or all from memory??

Got my AC2 this Friday, exciting
Yes you will get to take notes. And will hear the recording twice.

KCJones

Got an email the other day saying application now on hold til mid August to see if enough people already selected pass assessments.

Same as last year, finally got the next stage email in September. Hopefully those of us waiting will start training by this September.

jellybabyj

Well I decided to ring and c what was going on and was told there is currently no vaccencys and I currently stuck at 16 on the list to start training and was told nothing won’t change in the near future lol

KCJones

Marvellous news !!! loads on a list waiting and now there are recruiting another lot again !

I saw an FOI that explained part of the recruitment policy, even if they want say 200 operators, everyone that passes AC2 goes into the list. Last year 2017 up to July 274 internals were successful.

I wonder if this years successful internals go ahead of last year's externals ? :frown:

Cavan

Not being rude but why shouldn't companies sort out internal staff first? They are known, on the pay roll, they can move them around easily as needed. Makes sense for companies and I'm sure internal candidate's think this too!

KCJones

Not saying that, I'd epected the same.

What I like to know is will the succesful 2018 internals also go in front of the 2017 externals ?

Mikel

So Tfl have just got peoples hopes up for nothing??? Why have successful candidates on waiting lists if you have no positions to give them?
Are they waiting for train operators to retire?
Fall Ill?
Maybe they don't have enough staff/trainers?
And why go through another hire cycle if there are no start dates?
It just all feels a bit unprofessional. Crazy!!

MMC87

So Tfl have just got peoples hopes up for nothing??? Why have successful candidates on waiting lists if you have no positions to give them?
Are they waiting for train operators to retire?
Fall Ill?
Maybe they don't have enough staff/trainers?
And why go through another hire cycle if there are no start dates?
It just all feels a bit unprofessional. Crazy!!

Exactly my thoughts.

Hopefully someone with more info can chime in and let us know whats happening.
Is there still a shortage of drivers on some lines? Are there plans to extend night tube across all lines?
Are there currently drivers in training etc.
What is the likely-hood of tfl saying you're no longer required?

I called recruitment earlier today but they couldn't answer any of these questions other than I'm in a talent pool, no available training dates and they'll let me know if anything changes.

oz220

Exactly my thoughts.

Hopefully someone with more info can chime in and let us know whats happening.
Is there still a shortage of drivers on some lines? Are there plans to extend night tube across all lines?
Are there currently drivers in training etc.
What is the likely-hood of tfl saying you're no longer required?

I called recruitment earlier today but they couldn't answer any of these questions other than I'm in a talent pool, no available training dates and they'll let me know if anything changes.

Don’t quote what I’m about to say as being correct as I don’t know the answer.

However, you now have the NT drivers that started originally who are waiting to go full time. Once these do move to FT positions it will leave the NT positions short again. Thus the guys in the talent pool or those in training now to cover. I suspect this will be the same situation over the coming year.. where more move to FT and the talent pool are trained and move to NT. it will be a constant cycle as nearly all NT drivers are waiting for FT positions.

Also last I heard was they were recruiting trainers. I suspect they didn’t have enough to get everyone through who is waiting for training so can only imagine lack of trainers and the increase in trainees could also be a cause for holding up the training and creating a back log.

The good news imo for those that have had a job offer is that I’m sure you will one day be train ops as it’s unlikely they will change their minds. Unfortunately it might not move as quickly as you’d hoped. Time seems to go so slow when you’re waiting for that opportunity and know it’s in touching distance.

Mikel

Don’t quote what I’m about to say as being correct as I don’t know the answer.

However, you now have the NT drivers that started originally who are waiting to go full time. Once these do move to FT positions it will leave the NT positions short again. Thus the guys in the talent pool or those in training now to cover. I suspect this will be the same situation over the coming year.. where more move to FT and the talent pool are trained and move to NT. it will be a constant cycle as nearly all NT drivers are waiting for FT positions.

Also last I heard was they were recruiting trainers. I suspect they didn’t have enough to get everyone through who is waiting for training so can only imagine lack of trainers and the increase in trainees could also be a cause for holding up the training and creating a back log.

The good news imo for those that have had a job offer is that I’m sure you will one day be train ops as it’s unlikely they will change their minds. Unfortunately it might not move as quickly as you’d hoped. Time seems to go so slow when you’re waiting for that opportunity and know it’s in touching distance.
I hope you are right but the least they could do is explain to us why the reason for the hold up, especially since we've been offered the roll. Where not asking for all the secrets but at least give us a reasonable explanation!

KCJones

An email to those waiting explaining the situation and details of the process moving forward with any timescales, would be better than having people telephoning regular.

A driver also told me that they were recruiting for trainers.

Plus we'll all be going through the security vetting and medical process again, once 6 months is up from the last one.

oz220

Maybe they don’t know the answers themselves at present. And with respect they have told you that they don’t have training available at the mo. It’s LU. They don’t need to give any more information unfortunately. Sure, it would be nice.
But take comfort in knowing you have done the hard part and passed the selection process and will have a long enjoyable career ahead of you.

Elena1954

Hy everyone, it's for the first time that I writing...did some one know when will be the next session of recruitment for NT? Thanks

oz220

Hy everyone, it's for the first time that I writing...did some one know when will be the next session of recruitment for NT? Thanks

I'm not sure if they have any plans to recruit for NT again in the near future.

Halfway Boy

From my knowledge of the situation it essentially this:

NT drivers started kicking off that they were being tied in to 18 months after passing their summative assessment when other staff were getting full time T/Op roles in internal recruitment with less service.

LU starting making a load of NT drivers full time to avoid a war with the unions, this created a load of NT vacancies that they couldn’t fill quick enough resulting in service disruption on some lines - mainly the pic - due to the lack of NT T/Ops.

NT drivers were leapfrogging internal candidates for full time roles pretty much completely (on one line there was not a single internal full time trainee for almost 6 months - all vacancies going to night tube).

LU started a massive recruitment drive for NT twice anticipating this would continue so as not to be caught out again.

Internal staff, mainly CSA’s, who had been on the waiting list for some time (1 year plus) for full time roles started kicking off.

LU then started putting more internal full timers through the school, thus reducing the places available for new NT train ops and also existing NT train ops to go full time, reducing demand for NT.

LU then sent out a letter to all existing NT Train Ops essentially saying “expect to wait your 18 month tie in as we’ve filled all FT driver vacancies except project pool”.

This leaves us essentially where we are now, however, that could change because LU has essentially been changing its goals and strategies constantly to put out different fires, so who’s to say it won’t kick off again when NT Train Ops see CSA’s on the training sheets for project pool vacancies and them not moving up the waiting list for weeks.

KCJones

Thanks for the info Halfway Boy, with 274 successful internals up to last July alone (FOI-2073-1718) plus others from the rest of 2017 along with this years internal intakes, us 2017 externals on the list might as well forget about getting a training date and then if the email ever comes it'll be a pleasant suprise !

Halfway Boy

I wouldn’t give up hope.

There is of course a natural progression of T/Ops to full time due to retirement/etc so vacancies will arise, and I have a feeling that due to that letter more train ops will be applying for other internal roles in the company which are not subject to the 18 month tie in - I know quite a few applied for service control, NIRM secondments, etc and that was before the letter came out.

A lot of the successful internals will also be on the waiting list for full time T/Ops and will just take whichever comes first, so the number is artificially high.

Edit: I would also add that most of the drivers who got this letter were already between 12-18 months service anyway (even with the push to make drivers FT they had to have a minimum of 12 months before they could go FT) so they will only be waiting a few months now anyways. This is why they aren’t kicking up much of a stink as it’s not that long for them to wait, and equally for you guys to get those vacancies.

Last edited:

Mikel

From my knowledge of the situation it essentially this:

NT drivers started kicking off that they were being tied in to 18 months after passing their summative assessment when other staff were getting full time T/Op roles in internal recruitment with less service.

LU starting making a load of NT drivers full time to avoid a war with the unions, this created a load of NT vacancies that they couldn’t fill quick enough resulting in service disruption on some lines - mainly the pic - due to the lack of NT T/Ops.

NT drivers were leapfrogging internal candidates for full time roles pretty much completely (on one line there was not a single internal full time trainee for almost 6 months - all vacancies going to night tube).

LU started a massive recruitment drive for NT twice anticipating this would continue so as not to be caught out again.

Internal staff, mainly CSA’s, who had been on the waiting list for some time (1 year plus) for full time roles started kicking off.

LU then started putting more internal full timers through the school, thus reducing the places available for new NT train ops and also existing NT train ops to go full time, reducing demand for NT.

LU then sent out a letter to all existing NT Train Ops essentially saying “expect to wait your 18 month tie in as we’ve filled all FT driver vacancies except project pool”.

This leaves us essentially where we are now, however, that could change because LU has essentially been changing its goals and strategies constantly to put out different fires, so who’s to say it won’t kick off again when NT Train Ops see CSA’s on the training sheets for project pool vacancies and them not moving up the waiting list for weeks.
Thanks Halfway boy, I absolutely appreciate the information as I'm also waiting for a training date which I hope will come soon....

Just a quick question though. What is Project pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.