• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

letitgo

Hi guys.. congrats to those who made it.

Im trying to find out more about the communucation test in Ac2.. i know from reading this forum you need to write down information which is relavant during a transmition. Id really like somthing more specific, i.e what message is beining transmitted, time limit, is tge message repeated more then once, is it transmitted via radio or in person etc.. ? Thanks in advanced.

04patwas

Hi guys! I'm currently doing a 1st and had a question about the concentration test. Are the shapes exactly the same as the shapes on the practice material or the group bourdon programme or are they completely different? Thanks

Walsh87

Hi guys.. congrats to those who made it.

Im trying to find out more about the communucation test in Ac2.. i know from reading this forum you need to write down information which is relavant during a transmition. Id really like somthing more specific, i.e what message is beining transmitted, time limit, is tge message repeated more then once, is it transmitted via radio or in person etc.. ? Thanks in advanced.

The message being relayed on the CD recording is from a driver who has had an incident/accident whilst driving the train. The recording is played twice and is quicker then I thought it would be. I made very quick notes on the first play and then added more detail in second. Then you have 5 minutes to put it all together for you to then say out loud on a dictaphone. It's all about being clear and concise and getting the relevant facts. Hope this helps

Walsh87

Hi guys! I'm currently doing a 1st and had a question about the concentration test. Are the shapes exactly the same as the shapes on the practice material or the group bourdon programme or are they completely different? Thanks

No they are not the same as the practice material but the principle is the same so practice as much as you can. There is mixture of shapes with different variations. Practice will really help, cheers

Walsh87

As mentioned before I've been offered the job.

Another update.. Passed my medical and drugs & alcohol. I also passed screening and CRB checks. My next step is contract signing which is a week before I start in August :)

Super super excited!!

Good luck to those who are still waiting. Don't give up hope!!

Hi Beast how was medical? What's involved exactly? Cheers

beast

Hi Beast how was medical? What's involved exactly? Cheers

Medical was straight forward.

It's in 2 parts. 1st part involves colour test to see if u can see colour, a reading test and the basic optician tests. You'll also get your blood pressure checked followed by a hearing test where they'll place you inside a sweat box with headphones on and you'll listen out for the faintest of beeps. You'll have to press the button everytime you hear the beep (they'll explain more clearly on the day. And not forgetting... they'll get your urine sample to send off to the lab for drug and alcohol test.
2nd part is with a doctor where they check breathing and physical ability I.e. balancing. At this stage doctor will tell you if he is happy to pass you fit.

As for waiting on results for drugs and alcohol... 2 days for negative and up to 5 days if you test positive.

Hope that helps!!

Tron81

Medical was straight forward.

It's in 2 parts. 1st part involves colour test to see if u can see colour, a reading test and the basic optician tests. You'll also get your blood pressure checked followed by a hearing test where they'll place you inside a sweat box with headphones on and you'll listen out for the faintest of beeps. You'll have to press the button everytime you hear the beep (they'll explain more clearly on the day. And not forgetting... they'll get your urine sample to send off to the lab for drug and alcohol test.
2nd part is with a doctor where they check breathing and physical ability I.e. balancing. At this stage doctor will tell you if he is happy to pass you fit.

As for waiting on results for drugs and alcohol... 2 days for negative and up to 5 days if you test positive.

Hope that helps!!

do they test you per eye or combined? Many thanks for the info

04patwas

Hey guys for Ac1 for the following and understand information part, how many reading passages are there and how many questions are there for each passage? Also how much time do you get for each test? Thanks

Aivilo

Try to remember this is a competition essentially. People aren't gonna give you the answers. Turn up listen and apply yourself

Elliott

hiya everyone, had my medical the other day all went well, just waiting back on the pee in a cup test now.... however i just wanted to let the "pool of SJT wonderers" with no knowledge of whats going on know that, they are still doing up to 3 AC1s a day by the looks of it... as during my medical i had to go to Ashfield house first to fill out paperwork and very awkwardly walked passed another 32 smartly dressed candidates in my not so formal jeans and tshirt who by the looks of it was the second lot of the day and this was at half 10 with still an afternoon lot to go as confirmed by the security guard i got chatting to on the way out... so if anyone was still hoping for a chance at AC1 just keep your fingers crossed they are still working through everyone.

Jetlagged

hiya everyone, had my medical the other day all went well, just waiting back on the pee in a cup test now.... however i just wanted to let the "pool of SJT wonderers" with no knowledge of whats going on know that, they are still doing up to 3 AC1s a day by the looks of it... as during my medical i had to go to Ashfield house first to fill out paperwork and very awkwardly walked passed another 32 smartly dressed candidates in my not so formal jeans and tshirt who by the looks of it was the second lot of the day and this was at half 10 with still an afternoon lot to go as confirmed by the security guard i got chatting to on the way out... so if anyone was still hoping for a chance at AC1 just keep your fingers crossed they are still working through everyone.

Thanks for the update Elliott and all the best with your medical.

Are you certain that these people were up for the P/T Night Tube job and not another position? If that is the case, there is hope for the likes of Tron and me after all!

Code:
Try to remember this is a competition essentially. People aren't gonna give you the answers. Turn up listen and apply yourself

I understand what you are saying Aivilo and that is good advice. However, anybody who has already gone through the wringer and been successful would have nothing to lose by giving others a nudge in the right direction. There are some great folk on this forum and personally I find all the help and banter very refreshing. Thank you Aivilo and others.

Tron81

Thanks for the update Elliott and all the best with your medical.

Are you certain that these people were up for the P/T Night Tube job and not another position? If that is the case, there is hope for the likes of Tron and me after all!

Code:

I understand what you are saying Aivilo and that is good advice. However, anybody who has already gone through the wringer and been successful would have nothing to lose by giving others a nudge in the right direction. There are some great folk on this forum and personally I find all the help and banter very refreshing. Thank you Aivilo and others.

I've kind of drawn the line under this one, more or less 3 months in and still in limbo about the SJT

pop79

hi Does this assessment count as one of your two lives of the train driver assessment or it is different?

Lrd

Established Member
hi Does this assessment count as one of your two lives of the train driver assessment or it is different?
LU are separate from the National "two strikes" rule.

Jetlagged

Hiya mate, yes they was all there for AC1, as these lot went up, a group of 30 was coming down who made comments to the second lot, "we made it" "its not that bad not that bad" and then as i left i said any more today to a security guard who said "afternoon group"
so keep your fingers crossed

Thanks Elliott. That's good to know. This will be my one and only chance to have a go for this, so I'm not giving up yet!

Come on Tron. Keep the faith. You never know.

Peps123

Hello , I have a few questions for those who went through the the training process last year or have started already.
In the email they send containing the pre course reading material, they say to bring these materials with you, are we expected to print this material ourselves, I ask coz there are alot of pages and would require alot of ink, I don't mind but if they give us printed material during training it may be a waste.

Also reading last year's forum the uniform and contract signing was done in Acton, I have been given the address of Islington for this, so was wondering if the location has changed or there are a few locations which they do this. I ask coz I live 15mins from Acton so would of been convenient. Finally in the email they say to bring a small bag, is this enough as reading through last years forum it was recommended to take a suitcase.

Thanks

Lrd

Established Member
Don't print it out, the training school didn't even mention it but it will be a good idea to read through it and perhaps have access to it on your phone/tablet.

Uniform stores have moved to Kings Cross so contract signing is no longer at Acton. You will receive two trousers, 4 shirts, various coats and jackets and shoes so a small suitcase or large holdall type bag would be needed, although I took it in the box it came in but was awkward to manhandle to get to my car.

Peps123

Don't print it out, the training school didn't even mention it but it will be a good idea to read through it and perhaps have access to it on your phone/tablet.

Uniform stores have moved to Kings Cross so contract signing is no longer at Acton. You will receive two trousers, 4 shirts, various coats and jackets and shoes so a small suitcase or large holdall type bag would be needed, although I took it in the box it came in but was awkward to manhandle to get to my car.

Thanks for your help

Peps123

Hey LRD i have another question.
It says on Tuesday of week 1 there will be a track assessment and a MED01, what exactly is a MED01, is it another medical assessment?
Thanks

Lrd

Established Member
Hey LRD i have another question.
It says on Tuesday of week 1 there will be a track assessment and a MED01, what exactly is a MED01, is it another medical assessment?
Thanks
They are testing your physical ability. You have to cross live track and climb in and out of a train cab from track level through both the side doors (N and O) and through the front 'M' door over the coupler.

You also have to practice laying an SCD (short circuiting device) and using an ice scraper to pretend to scrape ice from the rails.

MED01 is just a piece of paper and is part of your track licensing. It's not another medical.

Last edited:

Jetlagged

Anyone moved from the pool of the unknown?

Nah! Still waiting and dreaming Tron. One thing that came to mind was duty start and end points. With these NT duties being part of a 24 hour service, do all duties start and end at a station? I was wondering if the Operators ever get to see a depot.

Edited to say that I have just received this email:

"Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recent application and for taking the online Situational Judgement test for the position of Train Operator Night Tube – 022816.

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed highly in the online test, but unfortunately did not meet the current benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. We are in the process of assessing those candidates who did progress, and we anticipate completing this activity by the end of July. At this point we will be better placed to advise you of the length of time we propose holding your application.

You do not need to do anything at this stage, and you do not need to contact us, we will simply keep you on our waitlist and update you again by mid August."

The wait goes on, but at least I can go on holiday in July and not be worrying that I might miss the email.

How about you Tron?

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Nah! Still waiting and dreaming Tron. One thing that came to mind was duty start and end points. With these NT duties being part of a 24 hour service, do all duties start and end at a station? I was wondering if the Operators ever get to see a depot.
All duties will start and end at your home depot. We have a lot of depot working, almost every duty we go into/out of a train depot or siding. The trains have to be brake tested every 24 hours so there are lots of changeovers throughout the night.

Mattyblob

Lrd your knowledge has been invaluable throughout this recruitment process, do you reckon you could give us more of an insight into your typical duty? A day (night) in the life if you will!

Jetlagged

All duties will start and end at your home depot. We have a lot of depot working, almost every duty we go into/out of a train depot or siding. The trains have to be brake tested every 24 hours so there are lots of changeovers throughout the night.

Thanks Lrd. As Mattyblob said, your insight and help is invaluable and we do appreciate the interest that you take.

PudseyBearHST

Hi just got this email from TFL:

Dear ********,

Thank you for your recent application and for taking the online Situational Judgement test for the position of Train Operator Night Tube – 022816.

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed highly in the online test, but unfortunately did not meet the current benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. We are in the process of assessing those candidates who did progress, and we anticipate completing this activity by the end of July. At this point we will be better placed to advise you of the length of time we propose holding your application.

You do not need to do anything at this stage, and you do not need to contact us, we will simply keep you on our waitlist and update you again by mid August.

If you have any queries, or need to contact the recruitment team please find contact details by phone or email as follows: 0333 0062939 (local rate charges from all phone including mobiles) [email protected]

Kind regards,

EDIT: Jetlagged beat me to it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.