• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU roundel - why 1970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rup

My son recently bought me a t-shirt from the Transport Museum in Covent Garden.

On the front of it is the Underground roundel with the date 1970 beneath.

Can anyone explain the significance of 1970?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
My son recently bought me a t-shirt from the Transport Museum in Covent Garden.

On the front of it is the Underground roundel with the date 1970 beneath.

Can anyone explain the significance of 1970?

Thanks.
Was that when the museum moved to Covent Garden. I believe that it was located in a bus/trolleybus/tram depot in Clapham before that.

Correction, it was the British Transport Museum at Clapham bus Garage which until about 1970, also housed the LT Museum.

Rup

My t-shirt features one roundel and the date 1970.

Looking at the t-shirt with several roundels, the roundel at the bottom in the middle is the same as the one on my t-shirt. It implies that 1970 was the date this particular roundel was first used.

Thanks.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Was that when the museum moved to Covent Garden. I believe that it was located in a bus/trolleybus/tram depot in Clapham before that.

Correction, it was the British Transport Museum at Clapham bus Garage which until about 1970, also housed the LT Museum.
No, the Covent Garden site opened a few years later. I don't know the significance of the 1970 date, except to say that on the 1st January of that year 'ownership' of London Transport passed from the government to the Greater London Council, a hugely significant move that was downplayed by virtually everyone at the time. I worked for the organisation both sides of that date, and unless you worked for the Country Buses part of L.T. life just carried on regardless.

Cesarcollie

No, the Covent Garden site opened a few years later. I don't know the significance of the 1970 date, except to say that on the 1st January of that year 'ownership' of London Transport passed from the government to the Greater London Council, a hugely significant move that was downplayed by virtually everyone at the time. I worked for the organisation both sides of that date, and unless you worked for the Country Buses part of L.T. life just carried on regardless.

Didn't Syon Park come after Clapham and before Covent Garden?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Didn't Syon Park come after Clapham and before Covent Garden?
Yes, and lots of stuff in store at Acton, where it remains to this day.

Clapham, incidentally, never housed trolleybuses: the area never had trolleybus routes, unless you count Clapham Junction, which isn't in Clapham! It only housed buses when first Streatham, then Norwood, were being rebuilt, then closed again.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the date of the roundel 1970 because that was one of the years the organisational name changed? There have been many versions of what is colloquially known as “London Transport”.

There’s a wiki page on the key dates and changes, AFAICT it is possible that the roundel might have only changed in very minor physical detail, but its “official name” might have been different.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/His..._London#1970-1984:_London_Transport_Executive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.