• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU staff threaten to throw passenger under a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eos

http://www.jonathanmacdonald.com:80/?p=4024
Two Quotes:-

1/. After a while, Ian started shouting at the guy to “stand back there is a f***ing train approaching

2/. But then – right at the end of the clip (at exactly 50 seconds), you will hear Ian exclaim (again, I quote): “sling him under a train

Comments ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
Customer service at its best. No matter what the "elderly gentleman" said or did, there was no justification for this. Ian should be sacked (and the other platform supervisor asked why she apparently did nothing to rein in her colleague)

LilLoaf

Typical London people. Hope that underground staff is reading this after he has been sacked.

william

Established Member
Bit hot headed there. That's no way to act at all. Keep it for the football.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently he is well known.

An LU employee told me that there have been previous complaints about him and an LU enthusiast said they have already had run-ins with him.

Given that it's not the first complaint, I doubt he'll be there much longer.

He'll just have to hope that when he applies for other jobs he isn't recognised.... a passenger-facing role would be out of the question (except in the rail industry, naturally! ;))

Dai.

Established Member
Terrible behaviour from a member of Staff, especially towards an old man who had a distressing situation before hand.

DavyCrocket

Terrible behaviour from a member of Staff, especially towards an old man who had a distressing situation before hand.

By placing his had into some closing doors, in the hope that the train operator would re open them and he could board the train. This in itself would delay other customers journies. What this person didn't know is that the train he was delaying was being detrained. So the doors needed to be opened on the whole train and the procedure started all over again - delaying a few hundred people.

It also looked like he was being confrontational toward the female station assistant as she put her hand up to encourage him away from her.

What if it was a youth that had caused the delay and then said something? Would the media reaction be the same? Doubtful.

Oswyntail

Established Member
By placing his had into some closing doors, in the hope that the train operator would re open them and he could board the train. This in itself would delay other customers journies. What this person didn't know is that the train he was delaying was being detrained. So the doors needed to be opened on the whole train and the procedure started all over again - delaying a few hundred people.

It also looked like he was being confrontational toward the female station assistant as she put her hand up to encourage him away from her.

What if it was a youth that had caused the delay and then said something? Would the media reaction be the same? Doubtful.
Do you have extra information on the incident? From the evidence (written and video) we cannot deduce what you say. As for the female assistant, I would say that, as she seems to be avoiding eye contact, her gesture seems to be more aggressive/controlling than you suggest.

OMGitsDAVE

He has now resigned for "Personal Reasons"

BBC News said:
A London Underground worker who was seen yelling at an elderly passenger in a video has resigned from his job.

Transport for London said Ian Morbin, a customer service assistant, handed in his resignation over the incident at Holborn station on 15 October.

Mr Morbin has apologised but TfL said the behaviour was "unacceptable".

The video shows him calling the man "a jumped up little git" and "little girl" before apparently threatening to "sling him under the train".

The statement said: "Mr Ian Morbin, a Customer Service Assistant at Holborn Tube station, has advised London Underground that he wishes to resign for personal reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8325406.stm

jon0844

Veteran Member
He's resigned because he's been offered a job at a mainline railway station, after an unnamed TOC was impressed with his professionalism... :)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I think that worker was a one off.

Most underground staff are not the happiest people alive but dont treat people like that.

For one he should be made to pay the customer he was shouting abuse at compansation as he has paid for a ticket for the train as is getting treated like that which is disgraceful.

If he is reading this I think your a scruffy looking s*** bag and should have respect for others.

DavyCrocket

I thought the man who delayed the train looked a bit like one of those men that sexually assualts women on the train.

Merseyrail

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading. It makes it sound like more than one member of LU staff has been threatening to throw a passenger under a train (God no!). Surely it should be "threatens" rather than "threaten".

Last edited:

robby p

I am in no way backing this guy up but my previous job was station staff for LU. I think the people who brand LU staff unfriendly and unhelpful clearly have no idea what LU staff have to put up with! while I was working I was sworn at, punched, kicked and treated like scum on a daily basis and i'm known as the 'laid back guy'. Unfortunatly humans react to certain things, who's to say he hadn't been verbally assaulted on numerous occasions on that day? I still think his actions were unnacceptable but next time you see an unhelpful member of staff give him/her the benefit of the doubt that they may have had some trouble with their previous customer.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's over. He's gone. Let's move on!

I used to deal with the public. Plenty of nasty ones, but you bite your lip and carry on. That's what makes you better than them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... next time you see an unhelpful member of staff give him/her the benefit of the doubt that they may have had some trouble with their previous customer.
Yes, but equally next time an unhelpful member of staff sees a customer being rude, they should give him/her the benefit of the doubt that they may have had a bad day too.;)

By the way there's no evidence to suggest that the customer in question behaved badly.

robby p

It's over. He's gone. Let's move on!

I used to deal with the public. Plenty of nasty ones, but you bite your lip and carry on. That's what makes you better than them.

I totaly agree i was just trying to say that we're all human and some like this member of staff make fatal errors.

I'm just frustrated that this member of staff has tarnished the reputation of LU staff as myself and my collegues were always very approachable and always prepared to go that extra mile.

jon0844

Veteran Member
He hasn't tarnished the reputation of all LU staff. I'm sure there are more of him still working - bet you even know a few - but I would never judge everyone by the actions of a minority.

That said, I am going to have a real problem and feel very uncomfortable when I am on my BA flight later this week (if the weather doesn't ground it). Sadly, I am going to be presuming that every member of cabin crew voted to potentially destroy my Christmas - and it's going to be hard to look at them with any respect ever again.

Daniel

Established Member
That said, I am going to have a real problem and feel very uncomfortable when I am on my BA flight later this week (if the weather doesn't ground it). Sadly, I am going to be presuming that every member of cabin crew voted to potentially destroy my Christmas - and it's going to be hard to look at them with any respect ever again.

Juding by some commenst by BA staff on certain industry forums, I am led to believe that although they voted "yes/no" for a strike, at the time they voted, they did not know the date, or the length of the proposed strikes.

Ferret

Established Member

No, they voted to protect their jobs and terms and conditions - the Union leaders decided to use Christmas as a bargaining tool, not the staff. It'd be quite wrong to take it out on staff who may well be fearing for their livelihoods...

Status
Not open for further replies.