• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Station jobs go online Thurs 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
London Underground are set to advertise for Customer Service Assistants from tomorrow morning. tfl.gov.uk/jobs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Hi all just a heads up tomorrow (thursday) London Underground are going to be advertising for full time customer service assistants (station staff) just a heads up.

Anyone need any help or any questions feel free to ask or PM me

Good luck all who apply

anthony263

Established Member
Thank you for the heads up I will be putting in an application even though I live in south wales.

I am sure my parents would love for me to move out especially since all my recent jobs have been based in south wales mostly

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm sure I read somewhere talk about getting rid of station staff, was that just malicious gossip if there are new vacancies going live?

Who knows. The vacancies about to be advertised have arisen mainly due to a number of CSAs gaining promotion to Train Operator.

Joef88

Do you think it's worth applying if you have to relocate? Currently based in the north east but would like a go at this but not sure if there's much point since there's going to be so many applications from people already in London.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I've been considering a relocation, of course the the big issue is selling my current place so it wouldn't be for a while (possibly next year), would something like this be worth going for?

Daniel

Established Member
Do you think it's worth applying if you have to relocate? Currently based in the north east but would like a go at this but not sure if there's much point since there's going to be so many applications from people already in London.

As long as you emphasise you are intending to relocate should you be offered the position, I don't see it being a problem. I know of one member of staff who lives in South Wales but only goes home at the weekends.

Latecomer

Wow over £29k per annum. Decent wedge!
Add to that travel perks (for one 'other' as well) and final salary pension and the overall package is worth quite a bit more. If anyone is serious about this job I would get your application in asap as I think it highly likely that this will close early and opportunities to get your foot in the door don't come around that often.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've been considering a relocation, of course the the big issue is selling my current place so it wouldn't be for a while (possibly next year), would something like this be worth going for?
They wouldn't wait for you - you would have to move (rent until you sell?). Anyone relocating to London needs to bear in mind that rents in London are extremely high at the moment and it would take up a sizeable proportion of your wage.

starrymarkb

Established Member
They wouldn't wait for you - you would have to move (rent until you sell?). Anyone relocating to London needs to bear in mind that rents in London are extremely high at the moment and it would take up a sizeable proportion of your wage.

I wasn't meaning in this round :) I was thinking of moving next year (work contract potentially ending) and am sizing up a few options :)

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
To all those asking about relocating here is my story

I applied to work on london underground in 2006. I was 21 at the time and living in Glasgow (where I am from). I had a telephone interview and the lady informed me if I was sucessfull I would need to relocate quite quickly which I agreed. She put me on hold told me I had passed. Booked me in for assessment/interview 2 weeks after my telephone interview.
I booked my flights booked a hotel for 3 nights.
I then looked online for property to rent in london made a few phonecalls informed them I would be down in 2 weeks asked ifit was still available could I view the property. Went down done assessments (about 30 of us in the room) at end had a break myself and 7 others took into a room told we had passed would have role play and interview that same day.
After that myself 2 others took to a room told we had passed got offered the job pending medical.
I left quite happy that day went to pub with the other 2 had a drink

Next day I went to view a property informed the nice lady what my intentions were she understood. Took a holding deposit off me and said to keep in touch. Went back to Glasgow had a phone call within a few days to do my medical. Went back down done medical. Got told I passed. Went to visit lady who owned property to inform her she was happy. Started my training the following month. Moved into property and started my career.

Do I regret. NO I love my job LUL are the best employer I have ever worked for the look after there staff and I take pride in wearing my uniform. I have been on stations for years and have just recently passed my train driver promotion in march. I am just waiting to start my driver/train op training then I am doing the job I set out to do.

My advice to anyone thinking about applying is go for it. Like me you won't regret it

Joef88

To all those asking about relocating here is my story

I applied to work on london underground in 2006. I was 21 at the time and living in Glasgow (where I am from). I had a telephone interview and the lady informed me if I was sucessfull I would need to relocate quite quickly which I agreed. She put me on hold told me I had passed. Booked me in for assessment/interview 2 weeks after my telephone interview.
I booked my flights booked a hotel for 3 nights.
I then looked online for property to rent in london made a few phonecalls informed them I would be down in 2 weeks asked ifit was still available could I view the property. Went down done assessments (about 30 of us in the room) at end had a break myself and 7 others took into a room told we had passed would have role play and interview that same day.
After that myself 2 others took to a room told we had passed got offered the job pending medical.
I left quite happy that day went to pub with the other 2 had a drink

Next day I went to view a property informed the nice lady what my intentions were she understood. Took a holding deposit off me and said to keep in touch. Went back to Glasgow had a phone call within a few days to do my medical. Went back down done medical. Got told I passed. Went to visit lady who owned property to inform her she was happy. Started my training the following month. Moved into property and started my career.

Do I regret. NO I love my job LUL are the best employer I have ever worked for the look after there staff and I take pride in wearing my uniform. I have been on stations for years and have just recently passed my train driver promotion in march. I am just waiting to start my driver/train op training then I am doing the job I set out to do.

My advice to anyone thinking about applying is go for it. Like me you won't regret it

Application all done and sent off. I actually did it before you posted this and now I've seen it it definitely gives me some hope. It's a great story, maybe I'll be telling it one day. Here's hoping.

Silv1983

Can anyone elaborate on the telephone interview?

Im not applying, i'm happy as a mainline driver - but mother dearest has applied at 52 yrs old for a career change! I presume it's competency related questions to do with customer service; team working; working alone; dealing with a difficult situation etc etc

Thanks

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Call me silly, but where are these and what do they come under? Nothing under Customer Services. Have they ended?

There's a lot of high up or qualified type jobs, I'm also surprised there's no category for Train Operator or something for the 'floor' jobs?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Looks like the Vacancy has been pullled, I think it did have a closing date of 26th August to be fair.

There's one on there for CSA at Victoria coach station, not bad for £26k but I guess you don't get the TFL travel perks like London Underground staff get?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I did look at that, but I don't know if I qualify for 'knowledge of coach operations' 'Appropriate First Aid qualification' and 'Knowledge of VCS tariffs and charging regime'. I'd probably go for it myself otherwise as I'm interested in coach and bus travel.

Was unaware of the short cutoff date for the other roles, was hardly about to be able to do it but was hoping to do it today, looks like the ship has left.

RJ

Established Member
I did look at that, but I don't know if I qualify for 'knowledge of coach operations' 'Appropriate First Aid qualification' and 'Knowledge of VCS tariffs and charging regime'. I'd probably go for it myself otherwise as I'm interested in coach and bus travel.

Was unaware of the short cutoff date for the other roles, was hardly about to be able to do it but was hoping to do it today, looks like the ship has left.

Dithering is never advisable for any job vacancy, especially not comparatively high paying entry level jobs that hundreds of people will be applying for! Valuable life lesson ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like the Vacancy has been pullled, I think it did have a closing date of 26th August to be fair.

There's one on there for CSA at Victoria coach station, not bad for £26k but I guess you don't get the TFL travel perks like London Underground staff get?

It's exactly the same perks in terms of pension and travel benefit, only you will be employed by TfL and not London Underground so the contract will be different, won't get pay increases in line with LU staff, and so on. TfL staff get one more day leave (30 + 8) compared to 29 + 8, but LU Operational staff get a maximum of 15 banked rest days (so up to 52 days off).

Latecomer

Well I did post this a few days ago!

If anyone is serious about this job I would get your application in asap as I think it highly likely that this will close early and opportunities to get your foot in the door don't come around that often.

These jobs get a huge amount of interest and anyone who is serious needs to make time to put in an early application or lose out. Closing dates should never be relied upon in this industry and especially not in the current job climate.

hedpe

My girlfriend has applied for this job. Allegedly it could take up to 6 weeks before applicants hear anything back. Good luck to those who have applied.

mresh91

Same here mate, I ain't heard a peep yet. I'm sure they're sifting through the applications. Considering londonboi was one of the (joint) first to post the ad, I'm guessing his mate's wife knew of the vacancy in its infancy, thus she got a response quicker than others.

Plenty of applications I'm presuming, but I'm prepared to wait a few more weeks if need be. Good luck to all.

SND150

Same here mate, I ain't heard a peep yet. I'm sure they're sifting through the applications. Considering londonboi was one of the (joint) first to post the ad, I'm guessing his mate's wife knew of the vacancy in its infancy, thus she got a response quicker than others.

Plenty of applications I'm presuming, but I'm prepared to wait a few more weeks if need be. Good luck to all.
Cheers for that mresh91 I was getting a bit disheartened. As you say good luck to all. :)

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Don't worry about it its only been over a week since you applied. The person I was refering to is a train operator on the job so I imagine his wife was one first to get her application in.

As is normally the case as the sayinh goes no news is good news. If I were you all I would have my competences ready so when the time does come you are relaxed and focus :)

Good luck to you all

Joef88

Wow!! So glad I went for this now even though I didn't think I had a hope in hell because I live in the north east and would have to relocate to London. Got the phone interview on Wednesday. Over the moon!!

Met Driver

Established Member
Anyone know what the Telephone interview is like for this role ?

My advice to anyone offered a telephone interview would be to have a copy of the job advert, the application questions (if any) and the answers you gave (if applicable) to hand during it. The advert should give you a good idea of the sort of competencies you will need to demonstrate and the questions may be similar to those asked in the application. This is based on my experience of applying for my apprenticeship in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.