• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luggage on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

suze2403

Hello All!

When you store your luggage at the ends of the train carriage, do you ever worry that someone is going to walk of with your bag? Either mistakenly or because they've stolen it? Or has this actually happened to you?

I'm a Product Design Student in my final year at Northumbria University and I need to find a major final year project to carry out this year. I was thinking of designing something that will secure the luggage to the racks. I was wondering, is this a problem that you face? or do have any bigger problems when you're commuting/travelling on the trains?

The obvious answer may be just to use a padlock.. but I want to get your ideas, opinions and your suggestions if this is an area that a product could be developed.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, please, please help me.

Thanks you!
Suze

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Someone has mistakenly walked off with my case before, but how will it be secured to the racks? I don't personally think this idea has been carefully thought through, due to different case sizes etc, and right now, you can jumble the cases around etc to fit them in

Caertroia

There are also security implications. If someone locked a bag to the rack (which people can do anyway) the BTP might worry it had a bomb in it. Anyway, have you asked the BTP whether it's a real problem about people stealing bags, Suze? Maybe we'll all just honest.

chris89

Established Member
I've never worried about people taking my bags/ Suitcases mostly because when i do travel by rail i take a Should bag/ Carry on type of one and place it under my seat.

When i have taken a suitcase i've always had seats cloest to the racks.

I'd like to know as well how you would secure them as getting Lugague into a Voyager's racks makes you have to jumble them all around to fit in.

Chris

suze2403

Firstly I'm sorry to hear this has actually happened to you. Secondly, It doesn't necessarily have to be secured to the racks with padlocks, it is just one immediate solution that would obviously need developing, which is why I have started this thread to get the users point of view and get information/feedback that I wouldn't think of myself. Thank you for yours. Do you have any solutions to this problem yourself? :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yeah the BTP's a good place to ask and find out if it is a real problem! I haven't thought about bombs either, all great things to think about thanks!

MCR247

Established Member
I don't really think there needs to be much of a solution really.

And BTW the people didn't get far with mine, I found them further down the platform with it. It was a group of old people, and when they went back to get theirs, it was nothing like mine :| Mainly, mine was a suitcase and theirs was a bag :/

Stigy

Established Member
Although I've never carried a suitcase or similarly large luggage by train, when I carry my rucksack I keep it either on the back of the seat in front of me (attached to the top of the table usually) or by my feet if in those horrible seats that face each other. I would never use overhead storage or any storage I can't see!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This has also happened to us, a roller suitcase was stolen from the racks, we had little choice but to put them their and sit in our reserved airline style seats.

It was a standing room only throughout (90+Mk3) train.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
On a large number of, especially IC, trains now there is CCTV, a nd I have never been on a service where someones bag has been stolen. Ultimately, I think you have found a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist - people I think, tend to stand near their bag, sit near it in the laggae racks, or place it overhead or under their seat.

Stigy

Established Member
On a large number of, especially IC, trains now there is CCTV, a nd I have never been on a service where someones bag has been stolen. Ultimately, I think you have found a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist - people I think, tend to stand near their bag, sit near it in the laggae racks, or place it overhead or under their seat.
It's not necessarily the bags themselves, but their contents sometimes. Bikes are worse, I was speaking to a bloke just the other week who had his bike stolen from on board a train. He was looking at it most of the time, too!

MCR247

Established Member
people I think, tend to stand near their bag, sit near it in the laggae racks, or place it overhead or under their seat.

That is untrue. Lets look at a MK3. Most large luggage storage areas are at the end of the coach. Is it possible for everyone to sit at the end of the coach? No. What if the train is busy and the only seats are in the middle/away from the luggage?

Oswyntail

Established Member
My son did this a few weeks back. Ilkley to Winchester, changed at Brum, and picked up "his" rucksack (right make, colour, weight, rack etc), and only when he got to Winchester did he realise that it seemed to be filled with pet food! For some reason, he had to go to Bristol to swap the two bags over. Is there any duty on the railways to help put right a genuine mistake by passengers like this?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
That is untrue. Lets look at a MK3. Most large luggage storage areas are at the end of the coach. Is it possible for everyone to sit at the end of the coach? No. What if the train is busy and the only seats are in the middle/away from the luggage?

I think people would stand as to not invite something upon themselves, but then again, that's just me, I don't anyone who cared about their belongings would sit properly away from them, but like I say, that's just what I feel, and that's just what I've seen.

EM2

Established Member
How about a luggage tag that is matched to a receiver that you keep with you (on a keyring?) and the receiver sounds an alert if the the bag is moved more than say 30m away? Wouldn't work in luggage van like the Gatwick Express, but would for luggage racks.

Ferret

Established Member
My son did this a few weeks back. Ilkley to Winchester, changed at Brum, and picked up "his" rucksack (right make, colour, weight, rack etc), and only when he got to Winchester did he realise that it seemed to be filled with pet food! For some reason, he had to go to Bristol to swap the two bags over. Is there any duty on the railways to help put right a genuine mistake by passengers like this?

In a word, no! Why would there be? And what would you ask the train companies to do?

scotsman

Established Member
Sorry mate, I don't see this working. Theft on trains is pretty low, and the last thing the BTP want is luggage locked to the racks. I've never faced any problem like the one you described, as there's generally larger racks and sometimes a Guards Van for it.

plymothian

It's always perplexed me - at the stations you're told not to leave your luggage unattended yet as soon as you're on the train you're meant to leave it at the end of the carriage!

Flamingo

Established Member
Theft can be a problem in certain hot-spots. Cardiff has been a problem recently. The solution is at every stop. get up and keep an eye on it until you leave the station again.

Some people don't help themselves, I remember asking one person at London when did they last see their luggage, and they had last looked at it three hours earlier when the boarded.

This site raises some interestin comments on luggage storage on trains in case of an incident
http://fseg.gre.ac.uk/fire/rail_carriage_evac.html

I don't know if you have found this on your lit search?

http://publik.tuwien.ac.at/files/PubDat_165531.pdf

One point to remember is that any locking device may delay the train at intermediate stations while it is being opened (which means it is an immediate no-no). That is the reason that bikes can't be locked to the train.

wintonian

Established Member
It's always perplexed me - at the stations you're told not to leave your luggage unattended yet as soon as you're on the train you're meant to leave it at the end of the carriage!

So I’m not the only one to have thought about this anomaly then.

If you carry airline hand luggage then most of the time you can put it under the seat, admittedly I sometimes take the larger case with me but I am sure some people don’t need to carry as much as they do – I’m sure we have all seen the case being wheeled around by the young lady that could probably fit inside it.

route:oxford

Established Member
Wait until the sales.

Buy the largest pair of pants/knickers you possible can.

Stain the crotch with orange-aid... Smear chocolate at the back.

Tie to handle.

No-one will touch your lugage.

imagination

I think people would stand as to not invite something upon themselves, but then again, that's just me, I don't anyone who cared about their belongings would sit properly away from them, but like I say, that's just what I feel, and that's just what I've seen.

That only works for short journeys.

Personally I frequently get worried about my luggage on the train up to uni. Never had anything happen yet but if it did it would be devastating.

And I can't book tickets specifically next to the luggage as:
- The booking system doesn't have that as an option
- I am booking a seat from London - Aberdeen (or vice versa), usually on a very busy train, and so am glad just to get a single seat for the entire journey most of the time.

Also, there's no way that I am going to do what you are suggesting and stand on the train the whole way between London and Aberdeen to keep an eye on my luggage.

In fact I once (on a separate occasion) had a guard try to tell me off for wanting to stand between Preston and Carlisle, which is tiny in comparison.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
In fact I once (on a separate occasion) had a guard try to tell me off for wanting to stand between Preston and Carlisle, which is tiny in comparison.

Really? Just remeber you always have a right to stand onboard a train :D

Established Member
It's not necessarily the bags themselves, but their contents sometimes. Bikes are worse, I was speaking to a bloke just the other week who had his bike stolen from on board a train. He was looking at it most of the time, too!

This is why I always sit next to my bike on the train, though that's also so that when someone else gets on with a bike, I can ask where they're going if I'm getting off before the terminus, because I don't want to be trying to get my bike out from behind someone elses.

sheff1

Established Member
As has been pointed out, on trains in this country nowadays you are continually being reminded to 'keep your luggage in sight at all times'. At the same time modern trains have overhead racks so small that you can't fit much more than a briefcase or small rucksack into them - madness.

On the very rare occasions that I travel with a suitcase I always keep it with me - putting it on the table in front of me if necessary - maybe I am just paranoid :).

On long distance trains in Germany, they usually have luggage locker type compartments at the end of coaches in which you can put your luggage free of charge. Their prime purpose though is to lock your stuff whilst you go, say, for a meal in the restaurant. It is rare for people to use them for normal luggage storage because the overhead racks and underseat storage areas can accommodate even the largest suitcases or Himalaya expedition sized backpacks.

stuartmoss

One of my friends had his bag taken by accident by an old lady, and he ended up with hers. He got it back, and stupidly had left his laptop in it - so was very lucky.

I hate using the end of carriage racks and if i have to, I sit near them so I can keep an eye on my bag.

I noticed in America the Amtrak racks above seats are huge, and can comfortably hold a good sized suitcase.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whilst I've not had any luggage stolen from me on a train I've given it a good go at having happen! Once on a train heading home from uni I managed to leave my laptop case (with laptop) on the overhead rack on a 158. I only realised my mistake whist standing on York platform and realised that my shoulder was much lighter. Cue much dashing around York trying to find train, staff to open train and return to platform to catch my connecting train.

Needless to say whenever I take my laptop with me on a train it stays either in my hands/shoulders/in front of me!

Going back to the OP I would suggest that some sort of two-part dongle where one is put inside the luggage and the other carried on the person. If one is taken further than 20m or so away it sets of an alarm on both. Would also help the forgetful should they wander off without their bags :oops:

Class37Fan

The only time/ times I travel by train is when I visit England now and again.

I have to get the train (Southern) from Gatwick Airport to Chichester, and most of the time, their may only be 1 seat available in the carrige I am in, and due to the fact that I have a suitcase, I normally just stand by the doors with my case and rucsak on my back, untill maybee the station before I get off.

1 problem I used to find when I was living in England and Cycling alot, was with Southern Trains, they claim to be able to accomodate 2 Bicycles, with the storage being located next to the disabled Toilet, and right by interconnecting doors for the other carrige, on their Electorstar Class377 EMU's

The so called storage is Three Nylon Starps that clip together, the second person would have to use 1 strap that your'e bike is cliped to, to hold their bike inplace.

And yet with Southwest Trains, on their Desiro Class444 & Class450 EMU's they can accomodate 3 Bicycles in a designated area, providing you are able to lock your'e bike to the metal frame to stop it from falling over and obstructing the interconnecting doors.

But when it was the VEP's & CIG's there was virtually no limit to how many bikes could be carried onboard, providing they were in the guards van section of the train then they were out of the way.

But as I said, when I have my suitcase I stay with it at all times on the train, and just don't go to the loo whilst on the train, but that's a different story altogether.

stut

Established Member
Thankfully, I've yet to have this problem (after many, many trips with luggage and bikes).

However, I do (particularly if there's anything valuable) use the space between back-to-back seats if it's available. Of course, with more and more seating in airline style, there's fewer of these nooks to squirrel your luggage away in, but it can still be handy, particularly on busier services where the racks can fill up very quickly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The so called storage is Three Nylon Starps that clip together, the second person would have to use 1 strap that your'e bike is cliped to, to hold their bike inplace.

And yet with Southwest Trains, on their Desiro Class444 & Class450 EMU's they can accomodate 3 Bicycles in a designated area, providing you are able to lock your'e bike to the metal frame to stop it from falling over and obstructing the interconnecting doors.

The worst is on the 170s. There's a kind of prong that you're supposed to hang your bike off, but if you do, the wheels constantly clatter against the side of the carriage. Then, if somebody gets on with a step-through frame, the only way they can actually secure it is to tie it on. Which can be a problem if they block you in, disappear and you want to get off at a station earlier than them! (There's something about Cambridge cyclists, many of them seem incapable of realising that people do cycle elsewhere too...)

Status
Not open for further replies.