• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luggage racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddon

On the way back from Gatwick recently I saw a suitcase fall from the overhead luggage racks on a train, it was fortunate that no one was underneath as the case was far too big to have been placed up on the rack in the first place and anyone it hit might now be in hospital... do you think maybe it's time to withdraw or further restrict the size of overhead storage on the trains, as people seem to have no common sense about using it and try to stuff huge suitcases up there, no matter whether it is safe or not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
The thing is though, without these overhead luggage racks I think there would be a chronic lack of luggage space. Take XC voyagers for example, the big rack at the end of the carriage is not enough as it stands, let alone with losing the space above for smaller bags.

I agree that it needs to be made a little bit clearer what should go where - people often try and jam bags in when you can see all too well that it just isn't going to fit!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Restrict or remove overhead luggage racks to the detriment of the majority of the train-travelling populus, simply to protect the few who probably deserve their own entry into the Darwin awards from their own stupidity? I think not.

As AdamW has noted above, modern designs of Intercity train are woefully short on luggage space to begin with, the overhead racks are possibly the most useful form of luggage space on a train for many people, particularly if they wish to keep their luggage close at hand.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The thing is though, you're not just protecting the idiots that put the big heavy cases up there, you're protecting everyone sitting nearby and everyone that might walk past. If the only person a falling case could hit is the person that put it up, your point might be valid sprinterguy.

But you're right, Intercity trains seem to lack enough baggage space for even 50% of the seating capacity to bring anything near their NCoC baggage limit. This becomes especially apparent either side of christmas when trains are entirely filled with people carrying as much as they physcially can.

Luggage facilities are very limited these days. I saw a guard having to move a load of luggage to make room for a Wheelchair customer. (Made an announcement to the passengers telling them where it had been moved!)
I used to like the table seating arrangement, where you can put a medium sized case between the seats. Everyone had a window too!

tsr

Established Member
One problem is that the luggage racks could also often be bigger and stronger, but aren't. Some designers of trains have overestimated how much headroom a passenger needs to get in and out of their seat. I concur that the other problem is a lack of space for luggage near vestibules.

If train floors were consistently kept clean (ha!) and more and more airline-style rows of seating are used, it might be an idea to have signs advising passengers to place smaller items of luggage under their seats, and slightly more space could be given for legroom by spacing the rows appropriately, in order that the passenger behind you doesn't have their feet on your luggage.

The other solution is to use more signage to remind people that there is space between table seats, as mentioned above. There are signs to this effect on at least some 313s or 319s (I forget which), where they have rows of seats facing each other, with space in between the back-to-back rows.

377/2 and 377/4 units are, IIRC, the subclasses that are the best for luggage space (when you're travelling to and from Gatwick, that is). I don't find 442s have sufficient space. I've seen many instances of suitcases blocking the aisles due to the racks being full. I could also list a number of other complaints regarding 442s, but you'd be reading this post until tomorrow afternoon. ;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Spaces between seats is a good idea, and for routes where a lot of people will be carrying cases - is it really that bad to take away another 2 or 4 sets for another full height luggage space? For the sake of 4 people not getting a seat, you may just have some more room to move around - as the alternative is blocked aisles.

Another possible idea is to raise some seats up, so there will be more room underneath. The new X60 trains in Sweden have low floor access, and a level floor throughout the train (with open gangways), but there are raised sections at the sides in places (presumably for the bogies). You still have plenty of level access seating, but perhaps you could create artificially raised sections to allow bags below seats - as against relying on luggage racks that most bags can't fit on (or are too heavy/unsafe to lift up).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think the problem isn't that overhead racks are too big - quite the opposite in fact. I have a bag which I use when staying somewhere for a few nights which although large, is also quite squat and covers a large footprint. Consequently, it is very stable and there is little chance of it falling anywhere.

However, I do find that on some modern trains the overhead racks are so small - particularly on south eastern electrostars, that you just can't wedge it in. If anything, the pacer racks are much better with plenty of room.

Yew

Established Member
Maybe we should be looking at Luggage vans/DVT's as more people turn to rail?

Trog

Established Member
The worst thing is bikes. They have the potential to do someone some real damage in my opinion, if there was an accident I would not want to end up landing on one.

They also take up as much room as three standing people which is a bit much on a crowded train.

LE Greys

Established Member
Maybe we should be looking at Luggage vans/DVT's as more people turn to rail?

If they haven't been changed too much since I went to college on them, 5-WESes have vans with quite a bit of space. However, nothing beats a MkI compartment for luggage. Trunks on the floor or under the seats (can act as a footrest) plus good-sized suitcases in the overhead racks and briefcases in the lower-level smaller racks. Where did all the space go? (More seats probably). If you had more, it went in the BG.

So how to stop stuff falling out? Increase the slope slightly to make up for cant deficiency as trains go round curves. Other than that, bigger racks at the ends of coaches and more information about luggage vans (like a big sign on the platform, Heavy Luggage Here Please) might help.

Yew

Established Member
On Mu's could the leading 1/3 of the front car be used as a luggage storage area ?

Michael.Y

Established Member
Could possibly go in the "Pains on Trains" thread but on a recent service, a family of THREE had taken up two 4-seat tables with themselves and their luggage. It was a train that would be carrying a lot of college students on their journey home, so I politely suggested they move it to the empty luggage rack at the end before we arrived at the relevant station. "Who'll keep an eye on it then?" the father challenged me. :roll:

The overhead racks on 175s are very tight for a reason, so that only small bags, briefcases, laptop bags etc can get up there. I've seen people force bags in so hard they've actually pushed the ceiling tile out of shape. There's absolutely bags (pun intended) of room underneath seats on 175s and in gaps between table seats, plus numerous gaps for luggage at both ends of the carriages. Yet somehow that's not enough for some people.

LE Greys

Established Member
Could possibly go in the "Pains on Trains" thread but on a recent service, a family of THREE had taken up two 4-seat tables with themselves and their luggage. It was a train that would be carrying a lot of college students on their journey home, so I politely suggested they move it to the empty luggage rack at the end before we arrived at the relevant station. "Who'll keep an eye on it then?" the father challenged me. :roll:

The overhead racks on 175s are very tight for a reason, so that only small bags, briefcases, laptop bags etc can get up there. I've seen people force bags in so hard they've actually pushed the ceiling tile out of shape. There's absolutely bags (pun intended) of room underneath seats on 175s and in gaps between table seats, plus numerous gaps for luggage at both ends of the carriages. Yet somehow that's not enough for some people.

There's also the problem of where to put coats, since trains always seem to be far warmer than the outside temperature (not unreasonably). Rolled up and jammed on top of my overnight bag is the usual answer. People with some small bags don't seem to have the knack of putting them in sideways either, and tend to object if someone straightens them up to make more room.

transmanche

Established Member
The overhead racks on 175s are very tight for a reason, so that only small bags, briefcases, laptop bags etc can get up there. I've seen people force bags in so hard they've actually pushed the ceiling tile out of shape.
Actually that is the only really annoying feature of the 175s. I have a small 'cabin-sized' suitcase which fits perfectly in the overhead rack on mk4s, 185s, etc - but not on 175s.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I wonder how much diesel or electricity is used up by people's luggage and if the train companies would ever follow the airlines in charging people according to it's weight ?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Of course customers must keep there belongs with them at all times when at stations or travelling on trains or I am misremembering the announcement I hear regularly.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
the merseyrail ones are the worst, my school bag is a sports bag and numerous times it has fell off the rack and nearly clonked me on the head, i actually put on a suggestion form about luggage racks

Status
Not open for further replies.