• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

I'l shortly be returning home from studying in Aberdeen and so was wondering what the current protocol was with putting stuff in the luggage compartment of east coast services. Previously I've simply put my stuff in to find the guard appear, ask where I was getting off, se it was labeled and that was that, but since then I've noticed to doors to the luggage compartment have 'not for passenger use' on them, does this mean I'd have to monopolise the luggage racks in the carriages instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
If you prebook luggage space, East Coast charge £5 per item. Your best bet is to turn up on the day, and ask the platform staff and/or train manager if you can put your big bags in the luggage area.

LE Greys

Established Member
I'l shortly be returning home from studying in Aberdeen and so was wondering what the current protocol was with putting stuff in the luggage compartment of east coast services. Previously I've simply put my stuff in to find the guard appear, ask where I was getting off, se it was labeled and that was that, but since then I've noticed to doors to the luggage compartment have 'not for passenger use' on them, does this mean I'd have to monopolise the luggage racks in the carriages instead?

When I was at Aberdeen, I usually just turned up and asked on the day, only ever being refused once. Having a direct train to Stevenage was very helpful, they did not want a big trunk cluttering up the racks. It's not without its risks, on one occasion, I could not get my trunk out of the van, and it nearly went to London without me. On another, the northbound train PINEd at Edinburgh, and I had to go on to Dundee by 158. The trunk got a cab ride.

BTW, what are you studying? And are you based at Crombie or Hillhead?

silentone

If you prebook luggage space, East Coast charge £5 per item. Your best bet is to turn up on the day, and ask the platform staff and/or train manager if you can put your big bags in the luggage area.

That's not true. The only charge that exists for luggage is the excess luggage charge - this is charged at the Train Guards discretion.

There has been no change in the loading of luggage into the Guards Vans etc. It is infact encouraged as it makes life within the carriages simpler.

There is also no 'pre-booking' of luggae space onboard, such pre-booking is only required for cycles. The assistance you're talking of is for those who have a genuine need for assistance to/from the train due an impairment which may prevent them getting on/off the train safely or at all. Assitance with luggage because you can't carry it all is not likely to be on offer. Realistically if you can't carry it then no-one else can! Saying that staff will be there to help you at their discretion but they do not have to help you with your luggage if they don't feel confident in handling it due to size/weight.

Simply approach the Guard at Aberdeen who will be located at the Guards Van (Luggage area), ask them if you can put the luggage in there (there is no reason they should refuse) and tell them where you're going. Simple as.

The notice on the door you're talking of is simply to advise people that you cannot gain access to the carriage from that door.

The only reason to refuse storage in these area's is due to restrictions in platform lengths or restrictions in being able to help you at your destination station. The majority of luggage in these area's is generally for a main station such as Waverly, Newcastle, York, Leeds. Smaller stations not so much as the guard will have certain area's of the train to carry out despatch and catering crew can't always be up that end to help.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The only reason to refuse storage in these area's is due to restrictions in platform lengths or restrictions in being able to help you at your destination station. The majority of luggage in these area's is generally for a main station such as Waverly, Newcastle, York, Leeds. Smaller stations not so much as the guard will have certain area's of the train to carry out despatch and catering crew can't always be up that end to help.
Whilst that is quite correct, if you are travelling to an intermediate stop, and if (this is vital) you discuss with the guard your need to remove the luggage at that stop, then if they are intending to be elsewhere in the train when it arrives at your stop, they are generally able to phone ahead to ask platform staff to have the van opened for you.
If you're relying on this on a long journey, its also worth asking the guard how far they are travelling. If there's a change of crew before your stop then it will probs best to ask the guard who takes over.

silentone

Whilst that is quite correct, if you are travelling to an intermediate stop, and if (this is vital) you discuss with the guard your need to remove the luggage at that stop, then if they are intending to be elsewhere in the train when it arrives at your stop, they are generally able to phone ahead to ask platform staff to have the van opened for you.
If you're relying on this on a long journey, its also worth asking the guard how far they are travelling. If there's a change of crew before your stop then it will probs best to ask the guard who takes over.

I was forgetting you need a key for the DVT. The poster was talking about a HST which wouldn't need a key for the guards van but ideally still a member of staff.

If luggage is in any of these area's the station your going to has to be informed - a change of guard won't really make any difference so long as you told the guard originally everything will be fine.

Peter

Thanks folks, that makes things clearer
BTW, what are you studying? And are you based at Crombie or Hillhead?

Engineering, was at Hillhead (fyfe house) when I was in my first year

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to raise the issue of how things may be improved for passengers with more than a briefcase, it seems that such provision is simply not considered when designing new stock / refurbishing stations, how about a 'check in' type arrangement like on airlines where (perhaps for a modest fee) a customer could pass their big and heavy stuff to the TOC who would put it on the appropiate trains and then the customer would collect it at the destination, perhaps with a cloakroom type ticket to prove ownership at the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.