• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luke gets work experience passed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an e-mail today to say that my work experience has been passed by the big cheifs at Leeds, it is still one year away but I still have to organize alot of things. I will be working with timetables and delays and the like, not driving but it's something I find interesting :D

(P.S this isn't trying to copy Sproggs thread, I'm just delighted my work experience has been allowed)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I will, around Wakefield Huddersfield and Halifax area depending on where delays take place. Me and Tom deducted the guy who will be looking after me is some sort of signalling manager.

Obviously as Yorkie pointed out to me, I won't be working Leeds delays as all that sort of stuff is in York.

Still, I get to see some railway for 2 weeks and that for me is perfect.

The Snap

Established Member
Well done mate, enjoy!

Our school is organizing our work experience placements very soon, and we get a sheet to fill in with the companies you want, and the woman in charge will phone them in order, and try and get a place at one of the firms.

I'm hopefully going to get a place at Virgin Trains, Transpennine Express, Northern Rail or Central Trains. Don't know what I'd do there, but anything would be great, after all, working with a real train company would be ace! :D

Nice one Rich, I think our school does the same procedure. I will have to tell her that I already organized it with Network Rail. Ben (158) told me that TransPennine Express don't take on work experience-ers but you can certainly try! I wish you the best of luck.

In your school if you have it arranged can you just go straight for that one and she only checks out that ones Insurance?

The Snap

Established Member
DescendingSadly said:
Nice one Rich, I think our school does the same procedure. I will have to tell her that I already organized it with Network Rail. Ben (158) told me that TransPennine Express don't take on work experience-ers but you can certainly try! I wish you the best of luck.

In your school if you have it arranged can you just go straight for that one and she only checks out that ones Insurance?

Well, as far as I know, she suggests not organizing it yourself, because it may fall through at the last minute, and you would get the worst job from her. But, if you do of course, she sad you need to get the certificates of health and Safety, and Insurance.

I can try for TPE, and see what happens. After all, only one company is needed, so best to have a few to give some chance of getting anywhere.

Rich said:
Well done mate, enjoy!

Our school is organizing our work experience placements very soon, and we get a sheet to fill in with the companies you want, and the woman in charge will phone them in order, and try and get a place at one of the firms.

I'm hopefully going to get a place at Virgin Trains, Transpennine Express, Northern Rail or Central Trains. Don't know what I'd do there, but anything would be great, after all, working with a real train company would be ace! :D

Its a shame you can't get Work Experience for GNER, if it's anything like my WE at GNER it'll be a lot of fun. Its hard to say what'd you do, probably help passengers, carry luggage, answer questions that sort of thing.

Coxster

Established Member
They can only put you with companies who have the relevant insurance and those who have done it before. If it is anything like my SWT Work Experience you'll never want it to end!

The Snap

Established Member
I know, I followed your WE blog Damon, and was really envious of you! :p I hope mine (if I get in with a TOC) is as good as yours! :D

Right , here is what he is does and what I will do:

Hi Luke,

My dad says that your school will probably have a contact with someone called ***** ****, who normally deals with work experience. They have done work experience for a while now, my brother went last year.
My dad's job is a M.O.M., or a mobile operations manager, this means he attends accidents and incidents anywhere in Yorkshire. That means trespassing, broken rails, broken down trains to major accidents.
My dad says that you won't be able to go on the track side, as there are various safety courses to go on to qualify, but yeah you'll get a high vis jacket, if there is any visits to the track you'll have to wait in the vehicle near the track but a safe distant away.
You won't do the same thing everyday on work experience. You'll probably go and visit York IECC, York control,l NX signal box, a leaver signal box and all the different signalling systems, you might have some office work to do and then go out and about with a M.O.M.
It means travelling to Leeds in a morning, so yeah coming on the train.

Does anybody know what NX signal box is?

Coxster

Established Member
I think an NX box is an entrance & exit box, rather than an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) or an OCR (one control route).

Craig

Established Member
Congratulations :D

warriorofrovac said:
Its a shame you can't get Work Experience for GNER, if it's anything like my WE at GNER it'll be a lot of fun. Its hard to say what'd you do, probably help passengers, carry luggage, answer questions that sort of thing.
I did work experience with GNER too, doing pretty much the same. I also got a few days in the IECC too. That was a few years ago though.

Thanks very uchly Craig, thanks Ikar and Coxster. Atleast I'll get to see all the varieties of signal boxing. (sounds like a sport :lol:) I can't wait now :D
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
Coxster said:
I think an NX box is an entrance & exit box, rather than an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) or an OCR (one control route).
You are correct, I will have to see what these actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.