• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LUL lines that used to be heavy rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am aware that LUL is heavy rail, but still, it was the easiest way of putting it. I know the lines out in the suburbs largely used to be LNER, GWR etc before the LUL (or whoever they were in the 1890s-1950s period), but does anyone have a complete list of current LUL lines that once were, in a sense, national railway service. I know that the line through Park Royal was once GWR territory, and I think up towards Essex/Hertfordshire on the Northern and Central. Also, does anyone have any knowledge of ex-LUL now NR lines; the only ones that come to mind are Moorgate-Drayton Park and the ELL.

Many thanks all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Former LNER lines now solely LUL-
Leyton- Epping
Woodford-Newbury Park
East Finchley- High Barnet
Finchley Central- Mill Hill East
Chalfont-Chesham
Former LMSR lines now LUL
Bromley-by-bow- Upminster
Former GWR lines now LUL
Hanger Lane-West Ruislip
Former SR lines now LUL
Waterloo-Bank
Gunnersbury-Ravenscourt Park
Wimbledon-East Putney (still used by NR for ECS and occasional specials)

LUL to BR/National Rail
Moorgate-Finsbury Park
Shoreditch- New Cross/New Cross Gate

and finally trains owned by the Metropolitan Railway and under London Transport ownership up to closure in the 1930s trains ran between
Amersham-Aylesbury-Quainton Road to both Brill and Verney Junction.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bizarrely enough there are many LU lines which holders of Gold/Blue/Green/etc. status passes may travel on for free due to historical arrangements with BR and their predecessors!

There were also close relations between the Great Northern & Strand Railway and the Great Northern, who were the principal backers of this section of the route now part of the Piccadilly line. Similarly the Whitechapel & Bow Railway was formed as part of a joint venture with the District and LT&S and now forms part of the Hammersmith/City and District lines. The Hammersmith and City Railway was also a joint venture between the Met and Great Western.

Looking at the stations architecture can give some very interesting clues as to their former owners. I can't find such a map online but on my wall I have pinned up a map of stations by architectural type. Of interest are the different architectural styles of stations with former "Main line" connections: Great Northern, Great Eastern (ECR), Great Eastern (Hainault extension 1903), Great Western (HCR), Whitechapel & Bow and LTSR, New Works (GWR), LMSR Upminster extension, LNWR (pre-1923) and British Railways 1948-1988. As I say, can't find the map online but the text is here on page 29 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.