• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LUL Stock Poll

What is your favourite LUL stock CURRENTLY in operation

• C (Circle/H&C/Edgware Rd-Wimbledon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D (District)

• 67 (Victoria)

• 72MkII (Bakerloo)

• 73 (Piccadilly)

• 92 (Central)

• 92 (W&C variety)

• 95 (Northern)

• 96 (Jubilee)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
I've done this in most forums that I use or have used. Time and time again, 'A' stock is always the winner. Lets see if RailUK is any different (however it won't be if anyone here has any sense ;) ).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

A Stock- The most comfortable underground train ever :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A stock. If I was in charge of the Tube I'd insist that all the poor quality track on the Met (and any other lines) was replaced, the bridges strengthened but keep the A stock.

There's nothing wrong with the A stock, there's no need to replace them. I would say the one thing letting the Met down is the permanent way, not the trains!

Met Driver

Established Member
What's really unfortunate, is that when the A stock IS replaced, the new stock will not feature any of the comfortable features that A stock has. The new SSL trains will be standard across all SSLs, so you get the same stock whether you are doing HSK-OLY or ALD-AME. It's a great shame.

Lesjordans

Well personally i like modern trains, theres nothing wrong with a 92/95/96 i mean id rather drive them than some cheap ready for kicking it 1938 rubbish

Met Driver

Established Member
1983 stock? Rubbish!? Are you kidding? It's the only tube stock that ever had any character and it aged the best. You can't fault it IMO.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Met used to consider itself a proper suburban railway, and to some extent it still is (Fast trains, the stock has proper seating unlike the awful seating style that is now common on the Tube).

Any attempts to downgrade it should be protested, IMO.

evil_hippo

Its like routemasters- A stock does not need replacing.

When it does- how about that high-backed seating in the pictures being used throughout?

Met Driver

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
...how about that high-backed seating in the pictures being used throughout?

It won't be, as it is "not necessary" on the circle and district lines :roll:

Nick

Sadly, today railways are run cheaply for what they hope the maximum cost. By using one size fits all its cheaper since there is not numerous designs to be comissed etc coting more and delaying deliverly. So companies use one size fits all in thsi day and age, not what the customer wants :roll:

evil_hippo

For me, I had to vote lib dem A stock but I'm surprised 96 stock hasnt had any votes for its wonderful sound!

Nick

:( Not the 1996 stock sound. That intimdates me everytime I hear it at Finchley Road!!! *buuuuuuuuuuz, buzzzzzzzzzzz, buuuuuuuuuuuzzz*

Sounds liek Gulp, Gulp, Gulp of teh current.

evil_hippo

Erm... Back on one size fits all...

Not only would that stock be unsuitable for the met but it could not pissibly operate on the circle without as many doors as C stock and without longitudinal seats throughout like C stock! The needs of the Metropilitan line and the Circle line are as alike as Chalk and Guildford.

Met Driver

Established Member
Doors aren't really the problem. A stock operates over part of the circle line anyway, and even with less doors, loading/unloading is no easier.

The same applies to the D stock on the southern section, even with single-leaf doors, loading differs little from that on the C stock.

Nick

TBH, the single leaf doors are almost as wide as the double doors on some stock.

Julian G

Established Member
it's true
and since the refurb D-stock is here :)
more people will cram in <D :idea:

Nick

:? The majority of fare paying passengers don't plan there journey around travelling on a refurbished D Stock.....

Kinda reminds me of the Japanese tourists down the GCR, they plan a whole holiday around seeing Thomas (or is it just coninsidence, some don't have kids with them!?)

jonb

Established Member
I voted for the A-Stock. I only really travel on this between Liverpool Street and Euston/Kings Cross but its always a comfortable journey. In the morning as well (Which is when I most use it) Its not that busy so you always get a seat.

Jim

Established Member
1996 stock, as the noise is brilliant when starting up. Heart-Of-Wessex and me had a discusion about it today!!

Jim

Sprinter

I voted for the 92 stock, superb acceralation on ATO mode, fastest way between Ealing and Mile End (compared with the surface District) and the auto-announcer doesn't get on my nerves!

The A stock comes in a close secoind, has plenty of seats, which people need on a journey from leafy BUckinghamshire to thier work place in Moorgate/Liv St.

Met Driver

Established Member
Sprinter said:
I voted for the 92 stock, superb acceralation on ATO mode, fastest way between Ealing and Mile End (compared with the surface District) and the auto-announcer doesn't get on my nerves!

Some good points, but it would be less painful doing the journey whilst sitting on a cactus. 92TS seats are awful, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.