• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo journey experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
Did the first public run all the way today, with @Watershed and @Mag_seven making an appearance too.

Personally I really enjoyed my journey. Very friendly service on my train, with prompt deliveries on pre-order food.

Reckon they will struggle with luggage space, as I am pretty sure there are only five luggage stacks on the entire train (plenty seen in the doorways though).

Seats were comfortable, surprisingly so. Never thought I'd have a pleasant journey on an 800-alike (at least not without lots of alcohol lol).

Best way to do London-Edinburgh by day if you ask me.

DanNCL

Established Member
I only travelled Morpeth - Newcastle and back but I was very pleasantly surprised. Good seats, good ambience and friendly onboard staff. I thought the ride quality seemed a bit better than most 80xs too, no doubt that's down to the lack of extra weight from a diesel engine.

Here's the Lumo section of my recent trip report - the full trip report can be found at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...sport-reviews-and-service-comparisons.223965/

Lumo:

IMG_E9768.JPG
Journey: 17:26 Morpeth - Newcastle
Date of travel: 25/10/2021
Class of travel: Standard
Duration: 14 minutes
Vehicle: Hitachi Class 803
Ticket: Off Peak Day Return - £4.15 with railcard discount

Introduction to the service
Lumo is the UK's latest open access operator. Owned by First Group, Lumo launched operations on 25th October 2021, Lumo operates a small fleet of Hitachi Class 803 EMUs on a single route between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh, with intermediate stops at Stevenage, Newcastle and Morpeth.

First impressions - 4/5
IMG_E9771.JPG

My first impression when I boarded the train was a good one. The train was well loaded, though not overcrowded - it was great to see so many people trying out this new service. The ambience onboard the train was a relaxed one, the lighting bright but not too cold and with some purple mood lighting above the luggage racks too.

The seat - 4/5
For a standard class seat I was very impressed. The seat was relatively firm but not so firm as to be uncomfortable, and excellently shaped. The winged headrests were a nice touch, very soft, and not low enough to be a hinderance. The armrests were at a good height and were padded.

Legroom - 5/5
The best I've seen in standard class in the UK. Legroom was exceptionally good,

Power outlets - 4/5
IMG_E9777.JPG
A single UK style plug socket is available underneath the pair of seats infront of you, along with two USB sockets, providing three power outlets per pair of seats in total. The positioning of these sockets was brilliant.

Ride quality - 3/5
Though better than the other members of the Hitachi AT300 family, ride quality was still not that great. The slightly improved ride quality vs the other members of the AT300 may be down to the lack of a diesel engine adding extra weight.

Catering availability - 5/5
Both a trolley service and an app ordering service to have refreshments delivered to your seat are available, and information about how to order catering to be delivered to your seat was provided in the form of staff announcements

Catering quality - did not use
Because of the short duration of the journey I did not use the available catering facilities, therefore it would not be fair for me to judge the quality of the catering on offer.

Tray table - 4/5
IMG_E9775.JPG
IMG_E9776.JPG

A large tray table, possibly the largest I've seen in standard class, is provided for all airline style seats and is sturdy. The table extends outwards for laptops, however this was a bit stiff. Above the tray table is an LED light, which has two brightness settings and is easilly controlled by a button, this was a nice touch I thought!

Wifi - did not use
Free wifi was available, though I did not use it.

Staff friendliness - 4/5
I had little interaction with the staff on this service but those I encountered were polite and professional.

Value for money - 5/5
This was an excellent value for money option. The comfort levels were good, as were the staff. The only thing that lets the service down is the frequency but given that they're a startup company this can be excused.

Overall rating - 38/45 (84%)
Lumo in my opinion was very good (or as they would say "beyond expectations"). I hope to review Lumo on a longer journey in the not too distant future!

Never thought I'd have a pleasant journey on an 800-alike (at least not without lots of alcohol lol).
Yes, same here :lol:

gazr

Well, having done London to Newcastle and back today, both on Lumo services, here's my observations.

On the outward journey, I had two airline seats to myself, and the journey was very comfortable. I was fortunate in that I had the aisle seat reserved and no-one showed up for the window seat. Leg room was fine and I'm 6ft 3".

On the way back things were different. I was again stuck in a aisle seat, and one without a window view. I booked almost immediately it went live, so it's nice of them to flog the crap seats off first! Anyhow, I had someone next to me this time which drastically altered my experience. Having to sit upright for the whole 3 hours caused me quite a bit of discomfort. I could not lower the table tray without stretching my legs out- it's ever so close to being ok if they could have raised it just one more inch. The seats backs are very high and you end up staring at the blank dark blue seat back when you have no other view! Maybe they should have went to whole airplane hog and put TVs in the seats backs and charged for watching?! 15 quid for each leg seemed just about right. Any more, I'd rather pay the extra and go with LNER.

greyman42

Established Member
Anyhow, I had someone next to me this time which drastically altered my experience. Having to sit upright for the whole 3 hours caused me quite a bit of discomfort.
Why does having someone sat next to you cause you to have to sit upright?

tornado

Why would that be any worse on a LUMO? They're 4 seats across like all other 800x.

Established Member
Why would that be any worse on a LUMO? They're 4 seats across like all other 800x.
Presumably they're busier due to the low fares?

Anyway, as I've mentioned in the other thread, my Lumo experience today was abysmal-though I'm saving better judgement until next week when I'll have done a proper trip with them.

Boarded the 16:12 EDB-KGX today at around 16:30, hadn't intended due but due to the WCML disruption it seemed convenient. The delay was due to a train fault. An Ambassador passed through a couple of times, but it seemed to be out of necessity rather than directly to speak to passengers, though a few people did stop him and he did pass on what little information he had. There was one announcement made in the time I was onboard to say a Hitachi fitter had arrived.

The train was very well loaded, though I did have a seat. Found the seats to be comfy, though I have no issues with the regular 80X seats. The light in the seat back did actually illuminate most of the table, which is very big. (Think Caledonian Sleeper Mk2 seats)

The next announcement came from another member of staff asking us all to leave the train and wait on the platform for information on alternative arrangements, our train couldn't run due to a safety issue onboard. That's where the positivity ends. I went immediately to platform 2 for the LNER, due to the ticket acceptance for WCML passengers, I didn't need to wait. The passengers came pouring over shortly before the LNER train arrived, an ex Aberdeen so clearly already busy.

No Lumo staff came over to assist with their displaced passengers and basically left LNER to deal with the aftermath. The Azuma left full+standing, lots of people who were booked on the Lumo left standing until after Newcastle at least. Lots of complaints made to the LNER staff onboard, who were understandably rather displeased with the situation, though handled it exceptionally well-I've sent LNER some well deserved praise.

It didn't paint Lumo in a good light at all, that's being generous, and having to stand for 5 hours after being stuck on a broken train for over an hour, after what was reported to be a very chaotic boarding process will do little to encourage a first time convert from Easyjet to use the railway.

takno

Established Member
Presumably they're busier due to the low fares?

Anyway, as I've mentioned in the other thread, my Lumo experience today was abysmal-though I'm saving better judgement until next week when I'll have done a proper trip with them.

Boarded the 16:12 EDB-KGX today at around 16:30, hadn't intended due but due to the WCML disruption it seemed convenient. The delay was due to a train fault. An Ambassador passed through a couple of times, but it seemed to be out of necessity rather than directly to speak to passengers, though a few people did stop him and he did pass on what little information he had. There was one announcement made in the time I was onboard to say a Hitachi fitter had arrived.

The train was very well loaded, though I did have a seat. Found the seats to be comfy, though I have no issues with the regular 80X seats. The light in the seat back did actually illuminate most of the table, which is very big. (Think Caledonian Sleeper Mk2 seats)

The next announcement came from another member of staff asking us all to leave the train and wait on the platform for information on alternative arrangements, our train couldn't run due to a safety issue onboard. That's where the positivity ends. I went immediately to platform 2 for the LNER, due to the ticket acceptance for WCML passengers, I didn't need to wait. The passengers came pouring over shortly before the LNER train arrived, an ex Aberdeen so clearly already busy.

No Lumo staff came over to assist with their displaced passengers and basically left LNER to deal with the aftermath. The Azuma left full+standing, lots of people who were booked on the Lumo left standing until after Newcastle at least. Lots of complaints made to the LNER staff onboard, who were understandably rather displeased with the situation, though handled it exceptionally well-I've sent LNER some well deserved praise.

It didn't paint Lumo in a good light at all, that's being generous, and having to stand for 5 hours after being stuck on a broken train for over an hour, after what was reported to be a very chaotic boarding process will do little to encourage a first time convert from Easyjet to use the railway.
Doesn't sound entirely unlike several experiences I've had with easyJet, and it's likely to make Ryanair passengers feel positively at home

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Doesn't sound entirely unlike several experiences I've had with easyJet, and it's likely to make Ryanair passengers feel positively at home

To be fair what happened was everyone from the canned Ryanair being accommodated for nowt on BA. Not something you'd see at an airport very often!

takno

Established Member
To be fair what happened was everyone from the canned Ryanair being accommodated for nowt on BA. Not something you'd see at an airport very often!
FWIW last time I had a BA flight from Edinburgh to London cancelled, I had to wait in line to rebook for 2 hours, then got put onto a flight 3 hours later, leading to me just missing the last onward flight onto Hong Kong, so I arrived 24 hours late. No apologies, no compensation.

Overall having to stand for a few hours, getting in an hour late and getting a refund really isn't that bad

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
FWIW last time I had a BA flight from Edinburgh to London cancelled, I had to wait in line to rebook for 2 hours, then got put onto a flight 3 hours later, leading to me just missing the last onward flight onto Hong Kong, so I arrived 24 hours late. No apologies, no compensation.

Overall having to stand for a few hours, getting in an hour late and getting a refund really isn't that bad
Passengers from the cancelled 1612 would have been approximately two hours late, and would have stood for longer than five hours.

There's no doubt that some compensation would be due for a full day's delay either. Even if you just had to rely on your common law rights delaying you avoidably by that long is not adequate fulfilment of the original contract.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Gave the new service a try out last weekend (along with @Blindtraveler who was joining me heading back towards Edinburgh).

The ECS from the depot on Saturday morning ran late which caused a last minute swap from platform 9 to platform 0 and a chaotic boarding process. The train departed full & standing with a dozen passengers around the vestibule the rear of coach E.

The staff did go through the train telling some standees that there was seats available in other coaches (from no shows I assume). It emptied out at Newcastle (kickball fans) so the remainder was less busy.

The seats are slightly better than the other 800s, but as they have a fixed armrest by the window they get marked down in my view (at least the other style seats allows those pointless window armrests to be put out of the way).

Coming back I caught the additional 'relief' service from Edinburgh, taking a seat in the front coach. Warning that it would get busy after Newcastle didn't happen (when at Newcastle I did see a lot of passengers coming over the footbridge but they seemed to be heading to another service the other side of the wall). Dozen max in the coach after Newcastle so was an enjoyable way to head back towards London with a couple minor pauses due to signals.

Amazingly it arrived into London pretty much on time, which considering delays to other services was good.

The driver from Edinburgh to Newcastle had a very strong Geordie accent and the "ambassadors" were friendly.

Certainly I will use again if the price is right.

Established Member
I'm on a Lumo now.

We got the 10:51 NCL-KGX and had an excellent run. We stopped outside Darlington station and the driver gave us a very scripted sounding announcement, though very pleasant and we arrived into London a couple of minutes early.

Our main Ambassador was jealous of my supply of booze and stood to have a chat with us on the way South when I said we were simply having a trip to see what it was like. He seemed keen to mention that the seating was better than the rest of the 80x stock, which I'm inclined to agree with, and said he was on the service on Sunday that got stuck on the Down Fast at Peterborough on Sunday, but could stress to people rerouted heading to the COP26 that they were on an Eco Friendly train :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The jury is very much out if I would use again to be honest. The seating was the main improvement for me, but I think the service suffers from a lack of toilets and the boarding process on my one journey at king's cross was shambolic.

Also for me, living as I do equidistant between railway station and airport, my journey on Saturday would undoubtedly have been quicker by plane as I started from Croydon and at about the time I was reaching the front of the queue at king's cross branch of pret I could have been checked in at Gatwick and knocking back a full fried breakfast airside before a quick trip into the area and home again inside of about the same journey time and indeed probably less, as traffic in Edinburgh city centre was chaos when I attempted to travel home on the bus

I looked again at fairs for my next trip, keen to try the Sunday morning southbound which achieves the run theoretically in just about 4 hours but easyJet were just under half price of lubo so gratefully back to easyJet I go.

Agree with others about the whole announcement script sounding extremely corporate and scripted, I don't doubt that the crew are friendly because they are but there's just not enough advantages to me to sell a service like this. If they had done something really unique like introduced a proper restaurant car back to the east coast mainline then this would undoubtedly win for me as I do miss this service and find the first class offerings on London north Eastern very hit-and-miss and whilst west coast has traditionally been better in my opinion I've not heard many positives of late

tornado

Hopefully not to inject any politics into this discussion, but the environment aspect of LUMO does sell it for me. Unlike LNER, it is more of a viable flight replacement with its limited stops including a nice 3-hour uninterrupted haul between Newcastle and London, and reasonable prices at peak times. If LUMO comes up a bit more expensive the Easyjet, and a bit longer door-to-door, I'll still choose LUMO for the lack of co2 going directly into the upper atmosphere.

Obviously not everyone feels the same, but CO2 emissions are a factor that will tip the balance for me now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Hopefully not to inject any politics into this discussion, but the environment aspect of LUMO does sell it for me. Unlike LNER, it is more of a viable flight replacement with its limited stops including a nice 3-hour uninterrupted haul between Newcastle and London, and reasonable prices at peak times. If LUMO comes up a bit more expensive the Easyjet, and a bit longer door-to-door, I'll still choose LUMO for the lack of co2 going directly into the upper atmosphere.

Obviously not everyone feels the same, but CO2 emissions are a factor that will tip the balance for me now.
It's an interesting question, does Lumo for Edinburgh to London have any genuine environmental advantage over Avanti West Coast for Glasgow to London? Both are scheduled to use all-electric rolling stock, however, both might see you travelling on a diesel-powered train in exceptional circumstances.

Or do you simply mean that the Lumo services are convenient to you because Edinburgh is more convenient than Glasgow and they're likely to be cheaper than Avanti?

tornado

The seats on LUMO are lighter, and the lack of diesel backup makes the coaches lighter, but I guess it's not significantly more environmentally friendly than other EMUs. They say 6x less CO2 than a plane so that's probably about 20g CO2 per passenger km. National Rail average is 68g, LNER claims 32g.

My point was in regards to plane vs train, I'm willing to plump for the train if it is a close second in cost and time.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The seats on LUMO are lighter, and the lack of diesel backup makes the coaches lighter, but I guess it's not significantly more environmentally friendly than other EMUs. They say 6x less CO2 than a plane so that's probably about 20g CO2 per passenger km. National Rail average is 68g, LNER claims 32g.

My point was in regards to plane vs train, I'm willing to plump for the train if it is a close second in cost and time.
Yes, fair enough. I think that once you get down to the level of wondering whether the seats are lower in mass you need to look at things like the energy needed for the ancillaries on the train and how many people they actually move (so First Class makes it worse because it lowers capacity... even if First Class is what tempts some people into rail in the first place). As such, detailed, accurate, comparisons aren't easy at all.

I think that the general principle of the properly low cost rail option however is very much worthwhile in its expansion. As I've said before the only other operator currently doing low cost all the time and at scale is West Midlands Trains. And their services are low cost by virtue of actually being there primarily for something else, i.e. intermediate stations, not just light staff ratio and stripped back customer experience (no catering or "fancy First"), though that does apply in their case. Northern have come in on the low cost market but again only as a secondary role rather than their 'raison d'etre', and only at small scale. And I think its also almost by definition these days that lower cost will mean "greener" because energy is such a huge cost. That's certainly been the Ryanair experience.

I digress, we're moving away from trip reports.

I intended to post here the rather than in the other Lumo thread that ticket vending machines at Newcastle will not sell the Lumo single to Morpeth. Hopefully something that can be fixed...

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Worth also possibly pointing out that if you choose a paper ticket on departure from for example king's cross as myself and kite did on Saturday, the LNER machines do not like issuing these. Are tickets as neither of us wanted to use the app were however printed speedily and efficiently by the older greatnorthern machines on the main concourse.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Worth also possibly pointing out that if you choose a paper ticket on departure from for example king's cross as myself and kite did on Saturday, the LNER machines do not like issuing these. Are tickets as neither of us wanted to use the app were however printed speedily and efficiently by the older greatnorthern machines on the main concourse.

I guess this is because the Lumo tickets are different ticket types? I've had all sorts of bizarre printing of Super Off Peak Travelcards from Bletchley to R1256 when attempting to collect them at non-WMT ticket machines; the two most notable ones being it being printed as a two piece return and a one day season ticket with space for photocard number, and had the impression this is because WMT use an "odd" ticket type code for them.

Established Member
Did Lumo today from Newcastle to Kings Cross and then on the same unit to Edinburgh. The lack of a cup holder on the table was an issue as each time I went to use the facility on the Southbound run, my beers had fallen onto the seat.

On the Northbound run I solved that problem by buying 12 bottles of Birra Moretti before boarding and placing the box on the seat next to me. I can't remember arriving at Edinburgh for some wierd reason... :D

Overall I was very impressed.

tornado

How was the ride quality / vibration compared to other 800x, noticeably smoother?

I'm guessing the acceleration is the same as I understand the acc curves are programmed in.

I've been on a GWR IET for 4.5 hours, and started to get uncomfortable from about half way through. If LUMO leaves you feeling fresh at the end with no dead leg feeling, it would even be worth taking it over the WCML for the west/centrebelt of scotland.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've been on a GWR IET for 4.5 hours, and started to get uncomfortable from about half way through. If LUMO leaves you feeling fresh at the end with no dead leg feeling, it would even be worth taking it over the WCML for the west/centrebelt of scotland.

For a short while, anyway. The same seat (with a slightly different cushion) is to be used in Avanti 80x and Pendolinos.

cambsy

On Moderation
I travelled on the 10.45 Kings Cross-Edinburgh and 16.12 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, Lumo services, yesterday 3rd November. The 10.45 service, was showing fully reserved on departure boards, when arrived Kings Cross. And I’d say the service seemed about 90 percent full, there were no standees, far as could tell, and the 16.12 service Edinburgh-Kings Cross was quite busy too, lots of reserved seats, From my trip, i will definitely be using Lumo again, and possibly quite often, as ther service to me, was very good, more comfier seats than, any other 800 ive been on, decent non stop runs, the staff were helpful and really good, even bringing my pre order Lumo Eats, to me in coach E, mainly un reserved coach, as my booked seat wasn’t good.

I think Lumo will be a success, going from loadings, even on a mid week Wednesday, in November, its good to see people returning to trains, in good numbers, and the Leisure market, seems really buoyant, which good for the future of the railways.

cambsy

On Moderation
I had my first Lumo trip. yesterday(Weds 3rd November) on the 10.45 Kings Cross-Edinburgh and 16.12 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, Arrived Kings Cross in good time, and saw 10.45 Kings Cross-Edinburgh, Lumo service, already on departure boards, showing fully reserved, even on mid week, in November, which bodes well for their future, was bit chaotic boarding, as last minute platform change, for empty stock from Ferne Park, reception sidings, from plat 0, to plat 5, i headed straight for coach E, which mainly un reserved, as my booked seat wasn’t very good, found table seat, and settled down for the journey, the train seemed about 90 per cent full.

The seats were nice and comfortable, definitely the best on an 800, with nice high backs and good head rest, we left bang on time, but as i expected, following the 10.42 Kings Cross-Kings Lynn, we had some signal stops and On and off running, out to Hitchin, then we got going, and had good run out to Doncaster, where signal checked, then we ran ok to York, where we went through York and not avoider, and through Darlington rather than through lines, then onto Newcastle, arriving 2 mins late, so not too bad at all, then onto Edinburgh, arriving just over minute early.

I dint notice much on the latter part of journey, on way up, as got chatting to some people, about climate change and other stuff, as some were going to the COP26 meeting, and had chosen Lumo, as it was cheapest way to get there, and low Carbon etc, it was interesting chat about climate change etc, and soon passed good hour away just chatting, once train arrived Edinburgh, I just hung around, waiting for the 16.12 service back to London.

As seat coming back wasn’t very good either, I opted for coach E again, but id pre ordered food, with Lumo Eats, to my original seat in coach D, so i asked a member of the train staff, who turned out to be doing my order, asked my name, and straight away knew my order, and said no problem, he would come find me in coach E, and soon after departure, turned up with the food, all done enthusiastically and with smile, so a great service, which was really nice touch, and great Kudos to Lumo, and the man who helped me.

I boarded the train and this time, grabbed a couple airline seats, as wanted try them out too, with the nice little reading light, in seat back, we departed. On time and ran a few mins late into Newcastle, we had an XC Voyager to Bristol, just in front of us, we then departed Newcastle a few mins down again, with various signal checks, towards Darlington,where we used through lines, this tme, then ran with more signal checks, onto towards York, then passed through York again, then once through York we had good run to Peterborough and then a signal stop before Stevenage, where arrived 3 mins late, then onto Kings cross, arrived minute early.

The ride was pretty good through out, though did notice slight vibrations at times, but was in Pantograph coach, so maybe something to do with it? Overall i found the 803’s, to be a nice train to travel on , with comfy seats, and pleasant to travel on, wether as good as the stadler flirts, I’m not sure yet, the staff were friendly and gave good service, so I would recommend Lumo to anyone, as its a really good service, and great fares, I am impressed with them so far, and will definitely travel with Lumo again, and possibly quite frequently.

tornado

@cambsy , useful summary. Not sure why the Pantograph coaches (A and E) should cause vibrations. Seems to me you have a choice between transformer whine in A/E, or underfloor engines in coaches A-C + an "electrical choker" at one end of the centre 3 cars.

So seems A/E if you don't mind whine, or C if you don't mind underfloor engines, would be quietest.

backontrack

Established Member
I was on the Wednesday morning southbound departure from Edinburgh.

Things I loved: the staff were amazing, the seats/legroom/tables excellent and I liked the dimmable reading light, the fact that they alerted passengers about the recycling bag coming down the train followed by a general waste one. Brilliant stuff. We actually arrived in London six minutes early! Thanks especially to the staff who aided me when I started spewing (unrelated to the train journey AND to my student lifestyle, I'll have you know). Felt much less cramped than the LNER trains inside. I genuinely think the blue instead of red helps with this, is there some kind of optical illusion at play here?

Things to improve: really, they DO need an extra coach per set, not only so that there's proper luggage room (the windowless seats shouldn't be reservable IMO, but I'd prefer luggage racks there), but also because the train needs a couple more slam-door loos tucked away somewhere. Also, just one charger point per airline pair could lead to diplomatic disputes in the future.

tornado

It seems from RTT that you gained that extra 6 minutes only from Finsbury Park onwards so I guess the schedule is padded in case of congestion at KGX. Perhaps the recent kings cross upgrades means that most southbound LUMOs will do the same. Useful to know for onward connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.